Bead sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bead sealant

I'm going to install my own tires soon and was wondering ... is the use of tire bead sealant required?
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Hey Rob,

I've never used any on the ones I've done...tubeless! Just some mild soapy water to help the bead slide on and into position.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
      I'm going to install my own tires soon and was wondering ... is the use of tire bead sealant required?
      Rob
      I dont and i've never had any problems, but it does come recommended by a lot of tyre fitters.
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Well,

Further thinking on this, I'm thinking the sealant is more for helping to ensure that the bead doesn't leak, not for keeping the bead in place during a sudden pressure drop! However, If the rim is smooth, and no nicks in the tire's rubber bead sealing edge, then the soft rubber makes the air tight seal. It probably doesn't hurt, but I don't think it's absolutely essential.

I was brain farting about the sealant keeping the bead in place, then remembered the Indian Rain dance I've done before when I was changing out an old one....before I got a nice large "C"-clamp to break the bead!!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

JAT, I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that you shouldn't use dish soap to install new tires because the degreaser in most soaps work at the rubber and make the tire degenerate.
          1980 XS11SG
          Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
          Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
          ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Many years ago when i fitted tyres,
            the use of detergent wasnt recomended because
            it could cause the tyre to spin on its rim, either under heavy acceleration or braking, which cld cause the valve to break with a tubed tyre.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

For about 15 minutes. That's how long it takes to dry.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

true,
                but it can leave a residue and when the tyres become wet again due to rain the posibility of it slipping again can occur.
                But in saying all that, ive used detergent without any problems.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

One thing that works well on tires is cooking oil, i was told not to use soap because it can eat at the alumium
                  1979 xs1100 f
                  142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                  floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                  1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                  1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                  !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                  when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Cooking oil?That stuff stays slippery,I think that would make the tire prone to spinning on the rim.
                    I use dish soap and haven't had any problems.
                    80 SG XS1100
                    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

We've used dish soap on lots of things.

Regular car tires, bike tires, drag slicks w/o screws, drag slicks with screws.

This helps them go on lots easier, and we've noticed that if you use it on drag slicks, they don't seem to leak down as fast, which is very helpful.
                      '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

I've used dish soap with no issues, I've also (one of the first tires I mounted) use high vacuum grease, it worked well, and the tire never moved ( I checked it periodically) although vacuum grease is more like glue than grease, it's really thick and doesn't seem to ever lose its highly viscous nature, never seen anything quite like it. it works great on my vacuum bleeder's boot also. have a nice day and ride safe
                        I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Once the water is gone, the dish soap reisdue actually gets really sticky. and I don't think water from rain gets in between the tire and rim once the tire is seated and inflated to full pressure.

"and we've noticed that if you use it on drag slicks, they don't seem to leak down as fast"

Your drag slicks leak?

Speaking of drag slicks, if your wondering if your tires slip, on the rim, you can get tire markers (white crayon) to put a white spot or strip on your tire at the valve stem. Then if the tire moves over time you can see it.

On tubeless tires, small amounts of movement, over time, are ok. Tube tires will not take much movement before causing issues with the valve stem.
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                            Once the water is gone, the dish soap reisdue actually gets really sticky. and I don't think water from rain gets in between the tire and rim once the tire is seated and inflated to full pressure.

"and we've noticed that if you use it on drag slicks, they don't seem to leak down as fast"

Your drag slicks leak?

Speaking of drag slicks, if your wondering if your tires slip, on the rim, you can get tire markers (white crayon) to put a white spot or strip on your tire at the valve stem. Then if the tire moves over time you can see it.

On tubeless tires, small amounts of movement, over time, are ok. Tube tires will not take much movement before causing issues with the valve stem.

All drag slicks for cars leak down. Some brands leak less than others.
                            You'd be surprised how fast they can loose air. We check our tires between every round (like you should) and w/o using the dish soap we've lost up to several pounds between a round (hour or so)
                            '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

You could just go to your local tire store and ask for a small amount of Ru-Glide, or equivilant. It is a lube made for tire installation

Comment

Working...
                              X