No announcement yet.

New guy - pic heavy post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put the seafoam in last night, I'll let you all know how it goes. I have to grab a load of brick pavers from a friends right after work, so I'll be taking the truck. But I'm planning on plenty of saddle time this weekend.
    I'm still looking for a windshield and saddlebags. Most of the sites only list the 79 and later as options. I'd hate to get them and not have them fit correctly.
    Mike C
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

Howdy

Welcome to ch11. If you are like me (the wife calls it anal, I call it attention to details), you will spend hours fascinated with all the technical information that is found here. I too picked up my 80 special recently. Luckily for me, the PO was even more OCD than I am. A new battery and an oil change, and I am up an running and loving it.

The spousal unit was thrilled when I cleaned out all the accumulated crap in the garage and hauled it away. Imagine her surprise when she came home and found the bike parked by my workbench. I just explained it to her as a case of wanting to sleep near the ones I love. She was less than amused by "that" comment.

Some day I will learn.................
      Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
      1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
      1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Put inline fuel filters on the lines. As you run the seafoam through, you don't want to empty the gas tank chronicles into the tiny passages of the carbs.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Do you have a recommended in-line fuel filter? I'm putting together a shopping list for tomorrow. So far I need plugs, plug wires (got a cracked cap) the approx 2in dia. hoses that go back from the top of the motor (to the air box maybe?) in-line fuel filters, oil, oil filter...

Anything else you guys can think I should go ahead and do right away?

I checked the oil and there's no gas that I can detect either by smell or the stick and lighter trick suggested earlier.

I'll add that I'm a computer guy by trade, not a mechanic, so I'm sure some of the stuff that comes naturally to you guys will pass me by completely...forgive my ignorance.
          Last edited by Fix; 05-08-2009, 06:22 PM.
          Mike C
          Lake Orion, Michigan
          '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

Hey Fix,

Many of us use the little cone shaped ones for lawnmowers, they use 1/4" ID type hose fittings, just look closely at the filter, there's an arrow for direction of fuel flow.

There was a recent thread, might be in the Member's Lounge, but also here, about what type of windshield folks recommend, has good suggestions and photos and such, just do a search!

As for the bags, I didn't check your PROFILE so I don't remember what model year you have.....it's recommended/suggested that you edit your Signature in your profile to include the year/model/style you have so that in future discussions, folks can refer to it, there are model specific differences that can affect our suggestions!

SO...if you have a 78, then the 79 standard should fit just fine with regards to bags.

As for plug wires, you want SOLID CORE, SOLID WIRE, not any of that automotive carbon impregnated crap. And these type are a bit harder to find, or at least a bit $$ locally vs. getting them online like at MikesXS or even Ebay. The plug caps can be either resistor or non-resistor. Depending on if you plan on using a portable RADIO for tunes, the resistor type caps as well as PLUGS just reduce RF interference, otherwise there's no real need for resistor for performance. Folks have stated that either resistor plugs....OR resistor caps are fine, but don't need to have both, and resistor plugs are a bit easier to find! The caps can also be ordered from MikesXS.com.

The OEM coils do not use EASY removable/replaceable wires, they are molded into the coils. There's a tech tip on putting new wires in old coils, so it can be done!

And be proud you're a GEEK, soon you'll be a shadetree mechanical survivalist!!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X