New guy - pic heavy post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fix View Post
    I would jinx myself by saying he didn't seem like that type of guy, but I'm not THAT type of guy.

Thanks guys.

By the way, is it normal for the bike to be calling me out to the garage at 11pm at night? I can hear it whispering to come and tinker...

must

resist
    Now that sounds like the mark of a true XSive! Welcome to Ch11. That bike looks to be pretty good and with some TLC and elbow grease it will be a keeper for many years...I have a keeper...had it since new too!
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Jets should have the # stamped on 'em in tiny numbers.
      And yea its perfectly normal for a bike to call your name all hours of the day and night,at least at my house.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

If it has been sitting for a while,replace the gas in the tank if you haven't already done so.I've spent a lot of time working on bikes,generators,lawnmowers etc...That only had bad gas. Terry

PS Welcome to ch 11
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Hello all
          Hello, Fix! Welcome!

There is a known problem area on your bike at the number four exhaust flange. The upper flange nut is missing.

Throwing myself on the mercy of your collective knowledge, what should I check right away that are known problem areas?

Nice find; nice bike!

Regards,

Scott
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
            Hello, Fix! Welcome!

There is a known problem area on your bike at the number four exhaust flange. The upper flange nut is missing.

Nice find; nice bike!

Regards,

Scott
            I'll be damned, good eye! I didn't spot that at all.
            Mike C
            Lake Orion, Michigan
            '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

Nice looking bike

Welcome to the board!

By the way, is it normal for the bike to be calling me out to the garage at 11pm at night? I can hear it whispering to come and tinker...
              It would be abnormal if it didn't... and if you don't answer while it whispers... it'll start screaming...

Last edited by Wildkat; 05-07-2009, 05:37 AM.
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                Now that sounds like the mark of a true XSive! Welcome to Ch11. That bike looks to be pretty good and with some TLC and elbow grease it will be a keeper for many years...I have a keeper...had it since new too!
                It dosent look like that anymore LOL Welcome to the forums tyhis is the best place to be for the true XS XJ guy

Jim
                http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...all2008017.jpg

Comment

I've checked the boards and don't see this info, but does anyone know of some throwover bags that will fit this bike? Or what I should look for while shopping for bags? Also, I'm going to need a windscreen. That little sport fairing might have worked for the PO, but I'm 6'4" and it doesn't do me a spot of good.

Update on the bike, it was chilly this morning, ran the choke out to 2nd setting to keep her idle, but she didn't give me any problems on the way to work.
                  Mike C
                  Lake Orion, Michigan
                  '78 XS1100E

Comment

If you are nto already, definitely get some Seafoam to run through the carbs!!

Should not need the choke after she warms up. Mine runs fine without it when its 40 degrees out after it gets warmed up, or about two miles or so of riding. Sounds like it sat enough to gumm up some of the carb circuits. The Seafoam might cure it without pulling the carbs. It would be recommended to pull them and clean them, but if you would prefer to ride it for now, Seafoam for sure!!
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Going to grab that Seafoam at lunch today. Then I can let her sit over night with it. Thanks! I noticed that Seafoam can be added to the engine oil as well, do you recommend that?
                      Last edited by Fix; 05-07-2009, 08:42 AM.
                      Mike C
                      Lake Orion, Michigan
                      '78 XS1100E

Comment

Seafoam is alot like Gasoline (which is why you can add it to your gas...convenient huh!) which is NOT good for engine oil application. If your oil looks like crap or oyu had valve issues or somethign like that, then it has been suggested before to add it to your oil, let he bike IDLE ONLY, NO LOAD for about 15-20 minutes IIRC and then drain it and the oil out.

Seafoam and gasoline dilute or thin the oil out and it does not protect the brearings and such properly and can cause bad engine wear and ruin bearings and such. At least that is what I have read here on XS11. Thank goodness I have no real expereince with that!!
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Good looking out! Oil was fine, so I'll let that sleeping dog lie. Checked with Autozone up the street and they set a bottle of seafoam aside for me.
                          Mike C
                          Lake Orion, Michigan
                          '78 XS1100E

Comment

My first xs was a 78 standard, didn't know about this site, loved the bike, but didn't know to check for gas in the crankcase, burnt the bearings up, the way to check it is listed here but just take a green small limb off a tree, put it down inside where the oil goes, and get some oil on the stick, stick a lighter to it, if it burns you have gas in the oil, if not then you're ok for now, but will need to put an inline cutoff on your fuel lines running to the petcocks. Later 'Dog

Comment

Originally posted by scalded dog View Post
                              My first xs was a 78 standard, didn't know about this site, loved the bike, but didn't know to check for gas in the crankcase, burnt the bearings up, the way to check it is listed here but just take a green small limb off a tree, put it down inside where the oil goes, and get some oil on the stick, stick a lighter to it, if it burns you have gas in the oil, if not then you're ok for now, but will need to put an inline cutoff on your fuel lines running to the petcocks. Later 'Dog
                              Thanks for the tip, I'll check that tomorrow. Is the procedure to install that cutoff on the site?
                              Mike C
                              Lake Orion, Michigan
                              '78 XS1100E

Comment

Welcome to the site, Good looking bike (looks a damn site better than mine does anyway) I second the seafoam treatment, run it through the fuel system, it's great stuff, cleans things out well. again, welcome. have a nice day and ride safe
                                I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Working...
                                X