No announcement yet.

Who needs a left rear wheel bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm up for 2, I think both my xs750 and xj1100 share that bearing. if not, i'll have an extra for the xj or for someone else that needs it.
    K. Johnson
    -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
    triple clean and boots
    -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
    replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
    -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
    $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
      Im guessing these are h ard to find?

$50 for a bearing is crazy. There's nothing that inter changes?
      I think it can be done with 2 x 6904 Deep Grove Ball Bearings but you need a 5mm spacer as well. The original NA5904 needle roller is 20mm ID, 37mm OD and 23mm L, whereas the 6904 is 20 x 37 x 9. There's probably something in SKF and FAG at this size as well.
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

In theory that's correct. The problem with that solution is that a ball bearing does not provide lateral movement where a needle roller bearing does. As the axle assembly is torqued down, the inner roller needs to be able to move to compensate for variances in all the parts. If that were not the case I think Yamaha would have engineered it with a common ball bearing. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

Comment

Without knowing the full engineering logic behind their decision (in other words I'm guessing ) I wonder how much difference it would actually make. If the axle wasn't a tight fit in the bearings then the axle should be able to move thru to allow for said tolerances while tourqing. Once the nut's done up there shouldnt be any lateral movement, and the load is radial so it should work fine. That being said, I'm not prepared to try while I can still get an original, but once supplies dry up it's an option worth considering to stay on the road. Incidently, Timken have needle roller of the same type as ours, NA4904, but it's only 17mm long so a 6mm spacer would be required, probably in the form of two 3's at either end.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I guess you can put me down for one then...

When would these be available?
            '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

When? Good question. I'll give the poll a few more days then put the supplier on it to find them.

Comment

Just curious how the 50 came into play?

He know he can get them for 50 each, or a huge markup or what?
                '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Thats the price he had to sell the last batch for.And I dont believe he really made any money doing it.He's just a good guy.These bearings are near extinct and everyone thought there were none left.
                  80 SG XS1100
                  14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Andy,
                    When Yamaha still had the bearing, it was $54.00. $50 shipped is a GOOD price, and as had been stated, they are no longer made. This is one of the VERY FEW "Special made" bearings, and the design IS 30 years old!
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                      Andy,
                      When Yamaha still had the bearing, it was $54.00. $50 shipped is a GOOD price, and as had been stated, they are no longer made. This is one of the VERY FEW "Special made" bearings, and the design IS 30 years old!
                      I wasnt arguing saying the price was bad. I was just wondering how the $50 was set if he didnt already have the parts. Was just hoping we wouldnt say we wanted them, then they end up being 80 or something.

I'll definately take one either way
                      '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

If you must know I got them for $45 plus shipping. The $50 includes shipping to me, shipping to you, packing,etc. The supplier has fixed that price for however long it takes till the supply is exhausted. I give them the qty and they go find them and drop ship to me. A great arrangement if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                          If you must know I got them for $45 plus shipping. The $50 includes shipping to me, shipping to you, packing,etc. The supplier has fixed that price for however long it takes till the supply is exhausted. I give them the qty and they go find them and drop ship to me. A great arrangement if you ask me.
                          Cool. I was just curious, wasnt trying to be rude. What you pay for them is none of our business. I was just curious if the 50 was set in stone, and it is.
                          '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

No, you actually insinuated that I was making a whopping markup on them, and it's insulting. You've been here, what 2 months? You weren't around when I was supplying the guys with full sets of stainless steel brake lines for $130. Did that for two years till the supplier upped his price. Have you checked the market price of those lines?

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                              No, you actually insinuated that I was making a whopping markup on them, and it's insulting. You've been here, what 2 months? You weren't around when I was supplying the guys with full sets of stainless steel brake lines for $130. Did that for two years till the supplier upped his price. Have you checked the market price of those lines?
                              That's fine... I wasn't trying to insult you, but if that's how you feel. Keep your wheel bearing.

I just didn't understand how you could say $50 for a bearing that you don't even have in your possession, or even know where they are located. So was wondering how this was going down.

And as for the stainless brake lines, I could care less about them.. Congrats for helping out the guys on the forum but I wasn't inquiring about them nor was I saying you were price gauging.

Also, what does me being here 2 months have to do with anything? Sorry I didn't know about this site before I owned a XS 1100.
                              Last edited by andysutt; 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM.
                              '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Bearings are 140 days ARO from Japan.

Good news & bad news. Good news is that the bearings are on this planet, in Japan. The last batch i got were here in the USA, but to get more the distributor has to go direct to Japan.

Bad news is, at 140 days out, I can't lay out 700 bucks to place the order and wait 5 months to recoup the dough. I laid out all for about a week last time, but a week I can deal with. $700 for 5 months would put a hurtin' on my budget.

So here is the deal. If you want one, I can get it, but you have to pay up front and be willing to wait 5 mos. That's the best deal i can get. if you're worried, I think Paypal will insure it or something in case I hit a tree between now and october

Let me know via PM what you want to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X