it this normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it this normal

Ok i took a voltage reading with bad battery-11.5 volts.I turned key to on position and voltage dropped to 10 volts.Should the voltage drop like that when you turn key to on?Any electric gurus-or anyone.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Well, with a good battery, I get about 1V drop with the key on. My reading might be more of a drop 'cause my headlight also comes on with the key. Couldn't tell you with a bad battery, but I'd assume it would drop even more.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If the battery does not have sufficient charge or capacity to handle the load, it is not uncommon for the voltage to drop somewhat significantly when a load is applied to it. the battery has X volts and Y amps that it has available to supply to a given circuit, when that battery is no longer good, the amount of current it have available diminishes, the load will then take what it can and the voltage drops as a result. at least that's how I understand it to work, my nomenclature may be a bit off but that it the general jist of it. have a nice day and ride safe
      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Thanks bikerphil-yes the bad battery would drop and as soon as i turned key off it would go up-only to 11.5volts.New battery is on the battery tender and it is fully charged.
        Thanks The Lorax!
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

11.5 volts is not too good really. Of course if your bike hasn't been charged-up in a while, it is understandable. On the other hand, if you have charged it, it is not so good. Your ignition box may shut down spark to the coils at a bit over 10 volts, leaving you stranded... The only way to test a battery is to give it a complete charge and then load-test it.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

When i took old battery to Auto Zone it was only reading 9.9volts on their machine-Could not get the bike to start at those low volts.When they hooked it up to their machine battery was charging but when they put a load on it-battery voltage dropped significantly.Test took 20 minutes to perform.Have had good luck with the Wal-Mart batteries.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
            X