No announcement yet.

im new...now popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kk will take a look at and where are these TECH tips....in the maintance area???
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
      kk will take a look at and where are these TECH tips....in the maintance area???

They are where the STICKY thread at the TOP of this FORUM says they are!

2 SETS, either from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, see the first link just above the forum view that says XS11.com Forums click on it, and then scroll down the page.....4 sections, Maintanence, Repairs, Mods, MISC. The other set is
      found in the TABS at the TOP of every web page... ie. HOME, XS11 Info....hover over that 2nd one, and follow what pops up!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

got her running good now but there is still a flat spot around 4k-5k rpm.... but i replaced all the gas lines seem to help
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

popping sound

well i rode her last night and notaiced a popping sound......when i got home i put he in nutral and when to the rear and notaced exaust coming from one side of the exaust and none from the other....then when it popped both where going... then i didnt see the other sides exaust then pop then it was fine....it does it while im am riding to just not as bad when it is ideling.....now my question is this the sparkplug wire or cdi box or mabey a float problem????

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

I had the same problem on mine. Except popping only at idle. On my 78 XS1100E I ended up replacing the (upper) advance timing coil, #1 & #4 ignition coil (low ohm reading on both) and my #2 carb was plugged. Did a resync and she runs like a champ now. Smooth idle and no popping. JAT If all that didn't correct the problem the next thing I was going to switch out was the cdi box and see if that made a difference, but ended up not having to.
            My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Hey Lee,

I merged your new thread with your old one, since you haven't editted your profile/signature to include your bikes year/model. Also, this thread shows the history of the bike, what has been done to it, what you have done to it, what has ALREADY been suggested, etc.. so that we don't repeat ourselves across threads!

I glanced thru your previous posts, and you stated that the PO had cleaned the carbs, but have you gone back in them?

Okay, some diagnostics, fire it up, have it idling for a few minutes, then spritz some water on the pipes, see if ALL of them sizzle, or if some just dribble?

Cylinders are paired 1-4 and 2-3 with ignition components, but 1-2 and 3-4 with fuel, so depending on which ones are not HOT will lead you in the direction you need to go.

And and FYI for ALL...it's a TCI not a CDI....Transistor Controlled Ignition...Inductive system and use 1.5 to 3.0 resistance coils;

CDI's are Capacitance Discharge Ignition systems , use much smaller ~ 0.7ohm type resistance coils. Using CDI coils with our system WILL FRY the TCI, and important point when looking for replacement parts!
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                And and FYI for ALL...it's a TCI not a CDI....Transistor Controlled Ignition...Inductive system and use 1.5 to 3.0 resistance coils;

CDI's are Capacitance Discharge Ignition systems , use much smaller ~ 0.7ohm type resistance coils. Using CDI coils with our system WILL FRY the TCI, and important point when looking for replacement parts!
                Oops! Typo in my post

Comment

Cylinders are paired 1-4 and 2-3 with ignition components, but 1-2 and 3-4 with fuel, so depending on which ones are not HOT will lead you in the direction you need to go.
                  Right you are. My 1-2 cylinders were warm to touch which pointed me to the carbs but ended up being ignition problem as well. JAT

Comment

If I read this all correctly, it sounds like it misses on the one side until enough fuel builds up to pop in the exhaust and then repeat, kind of like a lean running problem?
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

all 4 pipes are HOT........

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Welcome and keep those bags! better to have and not need than to need and not have
                        i would start with plugs,carb cleaning,oil...etc
                        1982 XJ1100J MAX ,25.000 miles

Comment

well i replaced the plugs right away, the fuel all fuel line (did one at a time to make sure i dont get it mixed up), changed the oil and filter, and changed the airfilter....im ganna try to replace the wire next anyone got any aftermarket ideas i can use.....like i herd someone said you can use msd or somekind of bigger wires from a v8 or somthing....oh and im selling the trunk i got with it so if someone wants it pm me

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Hey Lee,

You said all the pipes were hot, but was that after riding it a while, or just getting it started from cold and idling? A slightly clogged idle/pilot circuit will falter at low rpms, but once you get running in the mid/upper rpms, you are then using the mains, so that IF it's a fuel supply problem, it'll be mostly solved in those rpms. And so it could show all the pipes hot after running on the mains. IF they are all hot, then it seems to show that the ignition components are working properly, cause it takes more spark energy to fire at higher pressures and rpms with more fuel/air.

This leads me to think that if it's popping in the low rpm/idle range that there is some restriction of the pilot circuit....or a slight vac. leak that prevents it from drawing enough fuel at that rpm. Relying on someone else's cleaning of the carbs will have you chasing your tail with all sorts of diagnostic attempts!

Do you mean the spark plug wires? They are molded into the coils, you'll need to do some cutting/modding to put NEW wires in them, the technique is in the tech tips. You'll want to use SOLID WIRE CORE type wires, not just that impregnated automotive type wire.
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

Relying on someone else's cleaning of the carbs will have you chasing your tail with all sorts of diagnostic attempts!

T.C.
                              +1

not to mention DANGEROUS, I just found the clutch nut that is suppose to be torqued on at 50 pounds was on just finger tight and the washer that sit inside the clutch basket was sitting on the clutch star instead, dont always trust what the PO did.
                              1982 XJ1100J MAX ,25.000 miles

Comment

well i finally let her idel for a while and found that right side was cooler then the left side (cylinder 3 and 4). cylinder 3 bubble but 4 just dripped right off..i can grip the 4th cyclinder and can grip the 3rd to but not very long and the other 2 are sizzleing (cylinders 1 and 2). i checked the plugs and the smell like gas so im guessing its a tci or a coil problem....can somone think of any other possablity... i would like to feel the power of the xs1100 asap

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Working...
                                X