Carbs size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey JC,

The front outlet of the petcocks are PRIME, so plug those off. Use the rear outlets, otherwise you won't have a RESERVE when you need it!

IF you have old cracked intake boots, they are most likely cracked only on the outside, the insides...they are double walled are usually in good condition and you can still use them even though they are aesthetically unappealing! You can slather a bunch of black RTV on them, wrap them with rubber plumber pipe/hose sealing wrap, etc.!! SO...you shouldn't have to wait to get our replacement set of intakes before you can put the carbs on and try to fire it up.

However, have you CLEANED the new carbs yet!? You can't go by the seller's comments of what they have done to them. IF the pilot circuit isn't clean, it won't idle properly or provide a good low rpm throttle response!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      One of the carbs on my SG had a broken float post and helped me to a fire. I sourced a pair of carbs from a XS650SH. I replaced my damaged carb body with one from the XS650. They are the same.

Keep in mind that the XS650 is far more plentiful than the XS1100 and the XS650 folks are always upgrading to round slides, flat slides, Dellorto pumpers, etc. This keeps stock carb parts plentiful if you know where to look.
      Hey Marty,

The thing that folks need to realize is that you used the 81model 650 carbs, which are the later model type with the larger vacuum diaphragm slide assembly, but is NOT the same as the 78-79 series carbs, so they are not completely interchangeable depending on what year carbs they have!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Right On

T.C. - You rock
        XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
        Progressive fork springs
        CIBIE headlight reflector
        YICS Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          IF you have old cracked intake boots, they are most likely cracked only on the outside, the insides...they are double walled are usually in good condition and you can still use them even though they are aesthetically unappealing! You can slather a bunch of black RTV on them, wrap them with rubber plumber pipe/hose sealing wrap, etc.!! SO...you shouldn't have to wait to get our replacement set of intakes before you can put the carbs on and try to fire it up.
          i cant use the old ones, they are torn, wont even hold the carbs up lol!
          so i still gotta wait

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          However, have you CLEANED the new carbs yet!? You can't go by the seller's comments of what they have done to them. IF the pilot circuit isn't clean, it won't idle properly or provide a good low rpm throttle response!
          T.C.
          yeah, the guy who owns the boneyard i goto told me all about it cleaning them when i got home, i have cleaned half of them, had to goto work other half i will do today XD
          Originally posted by Axel View Post
          T.C. - You rock
          yes, yes T.C. does
          '79 XS1100SF

Comment

XS650 carbs

The thing that folks need to realize is that you used the 81model 650 carbs, which are the later model type with the larger vacuum diaphragm slide assembly, but is NOT the same as the 78-79 series carbs, so they are not completely interchangeable depending on what year carbs they have!!
            T.C.
            T.C.

You are correct. To use XS650 carburetors on the XS1100, the model years must correspond and one must be prepared to do a lot of dismantling in order to link up the butterflies. It is, however, a plentiful source of parts as XS650s greatly outnumber XS1100s. Also consider the fact that so many XS650 enthusiasts reject stock carburetors in favor of something else.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Working...
            X