Replacement Spings for Rear Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Spings for Rear Shocks

Does anyone know if you can get replacement springs for the rear shocks? The ones I have are rusted really bad due to PO always leaving the bike outside and not taking really good care of her. I have cleaned them up but the rust goes deep and my fear is having a spring break.

Thanks again all for your infinite wisdom.

Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

spring break

i know i never fear spring break! that is one of the best times to go to the beach, ride around, do some wheelin, you know have fun!!!
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Comment

LOL. Not really what I exspected as a answer. Still funny though.

1980 XS 1100SG
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by MrOzz View Post
        Does anyone know if you can get replacement springs for the rear shocks? The ones I have are rusted really bad due to PO always leaving the bike outside and not taking really good care of her. I have cleaned them up but the rust goes deep and my fear is having a spring break.

Thanks again all for your infinite wisdom.

You can find Progressive shocks on E-Bay cheaper than you can buy replacement springs sometimes. Or have your springs powder coated black or chrome colour.
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
          You can find Progressive shocks on E-Bay cheaper than you can buy replacement springs sometimes. Or have your springs powder coated black or chrome colour.

The Progressives are a little out of budget The springs in my opinion are to far gone to have refinished.

Thanks for the input though.

1980 XS 1100SG
          Pod Filters
          DynoJet Kit
          T.C.'s Fuse Block
          V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

$75 a piece on Parts-n-More! Try andreashweiss (Andreas), he ALWAYS has parts.
            http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Progressive sells replacement springs (only) for this bike, but they're not particularly cheap (about $80-90). They also sell complete shocks; about $250. So Ebay would be a good place to look for that 'budget' deal.

If you decide to reuse the stockers, be very careful about powdercoating them. Most commercial coaters sandblast the parts to clean/prep them, and that will 'stress relieve' them... that basically means that will remove the 'spring' and they'll sag badly when put back in service. You also have to be careful about curing the powdercoat; a 'normal' cure temp will also remove the spring, with the same results. Cure the coating at no more than 325 degrees. It won't be as durable, but you won't ruin the spring.

I had the same thing happen to mine (peeling chrome), and I cleaned 'em with chrome polish and a stainless steel 'toothbrush', then used a small wire wheel on the really bad spots. A good coat of paint, and they've held up pretty good since.

'78E original owner
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The Progressives are a little out of budget The springs in my opinion are to far gone to have refinished.

Thanks for the input though.

I bought my Progressive for under $70.00 there are deals on E-Bay if you have the time something will show up .
                BDF Special
                80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

What model Progressive shocks are you all using? Any recomendations? Also are the stock shocks the same for the xs? For fitment any ways.

thanks all
                  Last edited by MrOzz; 04-19-2009, 02:33 PM.

1980 XS 1100SG
                  Pod Filters
                  DynoJet Kit
                  T.C.'s Fuse Block
                  V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

I have a set of 412's on my bike . I took the shims from the old shocks for the bottom and used 1/2 copper pipe for shims on the top bolts . I was a bit concerned about the copper being to soft but everything seems fine so far.
                    BDF Special

Comment

I have a set of 412's on my bike . I took the shims from the old shocks for the bottom and used 1/2 copper pipe for shims on the top bolts . I was a bit concerned about the copper being to soft but everything seems fine so far.
                      Interesting. Would any 11.5" shocks work as long as I shim them to fit properly?

Thanks again.

1980 XS 1100SG
                      Pod Filters
                      DynoJet Kit
                      T.C.'s Fuse Block
                      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Interesting. Would any 11.5" shocks work as long as I shim them to fit properly?

Thanks again.
                        I have bought 2 set of progressive shocks 412's and 418's that were for harley's and got them to fit with out much trouble.
                        BDF Special

Comment

I should have a set of springs come the end of the week. If your interested in me PM me and we can work something out
                          '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

You could get some air shocks from an XJ and use them. That's what I am looking for, since my fat butt can compress the rear springs pretty easily going over curbs and retaining walls.
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

That's what I would like too. Air is infinitely more adjustable for all kinds of loads/conditions.
                              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                              X