needle & seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needle & seat

I have two sets of needle and sets, trying to figure out what ones to use, the only deference i can see is that the plunger on one set of needles will go all the way in the needle and the outher will only go about 2/3 the way, the ones that only go part way seem to have a stronger sping in them, my thinking is the ones with the stronger spring would be better, what do yall think ?
    1979 xs1100 f
    142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
    floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
    1978 gl 1000 goldwing
    1981 gl 1100 goldwing
    !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
    when ya get bucked off, get back on

The ones that go only 2/3 most likely have dirt in them . The spring should compress all the way if you push down on it.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

???

Are you talking about the carb float valve? They don't have springs. They do have a retaining clip. Maybe this is what you're referring to? Or maybe you're talking about the diaphragm spring and the needle on the bottom of the carb slide? Help us out here.
      Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
      1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
      23mm float height
      120 main jets
      42.5 pilot jets
      drilled stock airbox with K&N
      Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
      spade fusebox
      1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Oh, I think I get it now. You're talking about the spring inside the needle? Definitely use the ones that go all the way down and up. If you soak the others, they might free up...
        23mm float height
        120 main jets
        42.5 pilot jets
        Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
        spade fusebox
        1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

I think the ones that dont go all the way down are the ones that came out with the bike from what i can tell, this bike only had 20,000 miles on it, I need to compare a pair of needles that are known good that are the oridgenal oem parts because I am haveing a hard time beleaveing that all four just happen to get that much dirt in them at the same time, they are all consiatant about how much they travel they have, I have them soakingin pb blaster right now, let them soak over night and see what tomorow brings.
          thanks guys
          1979 xs1100 f
          142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
          floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
          1978 gl 1000 goldwing
          1981 gl 1100 goldwing
          !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
          when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Yep

I agree. If they're all the same, they're probably just a different kind. Probably doesn't matter which set you use as long as the tips are good and they don't leak.
            23mm float height
            120 main jets
            42.5 pilot jets
            Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
            spade fusebox
            1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Working...
            X