X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fate of an old Yamaha...

http://www.thechopperunderground.com...hp?t34244.html
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

I just threw up a litte Wow, what a jackass! Thousands of old junkers out there to destroy/chop and he chooses THIS one. That thing was beautiful. Now it looks like all the other lame-ass backyard chopper attempts. PS, he looks super comfy sitting on it
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Watch it...

I hate to keep bringing this up, but if you don't like it, just say so, then stop. I don't particularly like the bobber style either, but clearly this guy does, and has put in a lot of hard work on his project. He is proud of it, just like everyone is with their projects. He has not seriously compromised the safety of the bike, and is using it to teach kids how to wrench on stuff. This is not "lame-assed" at all. It IS different, and while perhaps not in your taste, IS altogether commendable!
      Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Yeah, dude is gonna go splat ont he first turn when he leans and scrapes everything liftin at least one wheel off the ground.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

It has nothing to do with what style, it has to do with chopping up an antique.

Just think if you went to your neighbor's house one day and he was chopping and channeling a mint 1932 Packard....
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by t71ford View Post
            I hate to keep bringing this up, but if you don't like it, just say so, then stop. I don't particularly like the bobber style either, but clearly this guy does, and has put in a lot of hard work on his project. He is proud of it, just like everyone is with their projects. He has not seriously compromised the safety of the bike, and is using it to teach kids how to wrench on stuff. This is not "lame-assed" at all. It IS different, and while perhaps not in your taste, IS altogether commendable!
            I agree on every point but one, the safety factor. I seriously doubt the strength of the materials being used and the bracing, and also the height it is set at will be, in my opinion, dangerous to try to turn.

One says antique the other says beat up old bike. That is purely opinion to me. There is alot of "antique" furniture out there that I would rather sit on a dang rock, be more comfortable. Same can go for a bike. But if you are building a show room queen, cool call it a sculpture and be done. But that is not a bike that can be ridden and enjoyed in my opinion. JMHO
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I doubt that he will ride it for long, either, hard tail, cramped position, and all. But I am sure that he and his students are having a time making it. That is what this sport is all about. If you want a bike that is worth something, you are wasting your time with the XS. I just hate to see people blast someone's efforts and creativity, just because they don't like it. For all we know, this guy isn't even going to ride it (though not likely, but he didn't say). The individual creativity is what makes this sport fun. I hate it when people try and take that away.
              Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The individual creativity is what makes this sport fun.
                Then by all means.. be creative. But when you take a really nice old bike instead of one of the thousands that aren't, then start chopping and adding pieces of your old erector set to it.. you're gonna make some people sick.

Call it art if you want, but half the crap they call art at the museum.. looks like my bathroom mirror after the kids would get done brushing their teeth with all the different colored toothpaste bristle splatters. Most don't get it or appreciate it. I'm one of them.

The bike was his to do with as he wished.. but just wished he would have used one in worse shape if he was going through it anyway. I have to agree that it does look like another lame azzed backyard chopper attempt.

Everyone is free to state their opinions on here.. happy and cheerfull.. or not so much so. Thanks for understanding.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Again, thousands of crapped up bikes sitting out there ready to be picked up cheap and modded. It IS lame to take a beautiful classic and DESTROY it. You wanna teach kids to 'wrench,' how about teaching them to REPAIR something that is not running instead of teaching them to screw something up that already in good shape. What exactly is he teaching them? Here's a bike that runs and looks great...Lets cut it up. Too bad his head isn't in the same place as his heart.

Oh, wait... After reading the thread again, he ISN'T teaching them to wrench at all. He has them weld on the frame, he then re-welds it.

Believe me, I'm not in this to someday sell my 11 and make tons of cash Of all the muscle bikes of the era, they have the lowest re-sale. I am in it for the love. If I could save them all from being parted and chopped, I would.

My opinion would be that I didn't care much for the original paint color. The fact is that this guy destroyed a classic.

Chop a Harley.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

"There is alot of "antique" furniture out there that I would rather sit on a dang rock"

Yes, but do you chop it up for firewood, or sell it to someone who appreciates it?
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Really good example of how to turn "honey into dogdoo"
                      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I keep seeing the bike folding up after it hits a pothole...
                        It actually looks pretty good and is still rideable , but I still feel bad for the bike
                        1978 XS1100E Standard
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                        TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
                        Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

BLAHH! and i like rat rods.
                          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                          79 DT 100

Comment

Ho-Hum

I like the Rat rod and bobber look, but that one is rather bland. He must be one very big guy or it is a very small chopper. Somewhat comical.
                            I'm guessing that was the guard dog.
                            I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Oooooooooooooooooooooo!!!you guy's do NOT like customs do you???????

Comment

Working...
                              X