Shiftforks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiftforks

I am assembling the engine on my 80xs special. I have manipulated, coaxed, and asked politely, but in the end, it seems that the second shiftfork teeth either do not want to or are not supposed to fit around the cylinder as the other two do. I wish I had taken better photos of the dismantle, but because I didn't, I need to ask for help. Can someone send me a photo or explain how the forks are supposed to sit? The images in my manual are not really clear.

I'd really appreciate it.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Make sure the shift drum is in the 4th gear position. Shift fork #2 goes to the main shaft of gears, and it can only fit one way. It's a bit tricky, fitting these forks in, but you'll get it.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Here are a number of pics of mine as I dismantled toward the gear removal.

Like Phil said, the middle fork works the gears on the main shaft, thus you can not see where it goes in those pics. But once you get it turned the right way and start it up there it should be obvious and slide on pretty easy.

HTH
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

When i did mine i was having that problem, so i slightly turned the middle gear assembly by hand, and then all the gearing fell into place on the drum. All the best.

Comment

Working...
        X