One for the UBER GURUS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by renegade_xs11g View Post
    Kinda looks like SUGAR!????!!!!????!!!????
    Now thats interesting!
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Glad you found the problem.

That looks nasty, were the others like that?

If you've still got the old fuel filters blow into them from the outlet side into a white cloth and see what comes out of them?
      Last edited by petejw; 04-11-2009, 02:58 AM. Reason: spellin
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

just had another thought,
        with all that muck on the outside, thats where air
        enters, from the outside of the emulsion tube, fuel enters the emulsion tube from the inside, is it possible something has entered thru the air pilots in the back of the carb?
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

In case you haven't thought of it, I would dump what fuel is left in the tank and see what comes out with it! Maybe even flush the tank a couple of times with fresh fuel!
          Paul
          1983 XJ1100 Maxim
          1979 XS1100 Standard
          1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

It might be ...

the Kreem???
            80G Mini-bagger
            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
              Ever seen any crap like this?

Yeah, but Swmbo and I just wipe it away with a towel when we're done!

Kreem does look like the likely suspect sorry to say. T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

crud

I have been having the same symptoms as what Cobia is talking about. I will check these out and see if they are doing something similar. I had a crudded-up #3 carb float seat. Cleaned it out and she ran better, now I can't get it to start this morning....
                Any ways, how are they removed?
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Haven't started it up yet, just replying....

Actually, I got the luxury of sleeping in and I jumped at it...... hadn't done it in a while.

Pete - Only 2 through 4 were like that, I was surprised when I got to #1 that showed no signs of it anywhere!!??
                  I did tap out the stuff out of the fuel filters, mainly what came out were rust flakes. This stuff is too fine and goes right through. Nothing getting in from back of carbs.

Blue - Did that for sure. Yet, unlike the cloudy sediment-laden fuel that came out of the carbs when I drained the bowls in situ, the fuel was clear and some rust flakes came out but no particles. WTF, Huh!!???

TC & Wiz - I suspect the Kreem as well, can't wipe it off though. Can't get my hand in there.........LOL!!!!!!

Chop - The main nozzle, or emulsifier tube, is held in by the main jet. In other words, you screw the main jet into it from the bowl side of the carb. But beware, it comes out to the other side. There's a washer under the main jet, remove it after you remove the main jet and you're looking at the emulsion tube. Notice it has a notch on one side, that corresponds to a pin or key that is built into the tower. Use an object of appropiate size to tap it down the tunnel and it will drop into the carb body.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                    I couldn't believe this crud, in one pic it had dried out in the other it's fresh out of the carb. Pics are a little soft, it's hard to do macro in the sunlight.

Ever seen any crap like this?
                    Ya that looks pretty ugly. When I rebuilt my carbs I cleaned those tubes on my extra fine wire wheel. They cleaned up real nice with no change to their dimensions. I run a fine spray paint gun cleaning wire through all the holes and never looked back. So . .did she fire up? Is the issue corrected?
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Talk about attention to detail ....

on my extra fine wire wheel. They cleaned
                      Soooo .... what do you think would be the right rouge if I was really gonna' buff my emulsion tubes 'til they shown like the sun, eh, Rob?

Swmbo and I just wipe it away with a towel
                      TC ... my goodness gracious ...
                      80G Mini-bagger
                      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Houston, we have lift off......success!!!!

She's purring like a kitten and running like a scalded cat now!!!!
                        That was the problem, but I would have been surprised if it wasn't considering the crud.
                        In the spirit of full disclosure, I just remembered that a while back I put in about 1/2 gallon of 100 to 1 two cycle premixed gas in it. But I've run about 5 gallons of fuel through it since then. Could it have "emulsified" that?
                        After all emulsification according to Merriam Webster is the process of:
                        ": to disperse (as an oil) in an emulsion ; also : to convert (two or more immiscible liquids) into an emulsion"
                        I guess this may be the result of converting the immiscible liquids such as dissolved Kreem, 2 cycle oil, gasoline, and maybe some water, into the offending emulsified emulsion!!!! LOL!!!!!
                        Whatever, it's over with and I hope we're better for it, and learned something from it.

Thanks everybody....
                        Gracias Amigos.

If something else comes up I'll keep you posted.
                        I will reply to any and all questions in the spirit of CH 11.
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Chop,

Something Cobis did not point out that may be obvious, is that you must remove the needle valve diaphram cap, spring, and the diaphram, slide and needle valve before removing the emulsion tube. It pushes out into the venturi section the slide is in.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

I don't think it is Kreem.Almost looks like the Red Devil varnish remover i used before.Like i said i Kreemed my tank back in 1990 or before.Last year i thought i had a problem with my Pingel petcocks so i removed them from my tank to get rebuilt.Never saw any indication Kreem got separated from the tank and caused what you have.
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Inline fuel filters
                            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                            160 mph speedometer mod
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            xschop K & N air filter setup
                            Dynojet Recalibration kit
                            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

emulsion tube.....

Very true Don, those need to be removed. I was doing it all in a hurry so I forgot I did that. 2.5 hrs for a complete carb removal, disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly, is pretty darn good in my book. Granted it's not like an initial cleaning of a neglected bike, but.....
                              BTW - This time I did one at a time in order to maintain some sort of order and sanity, and for the sake of expediency. It worked out pretty good. And also, I didn't have to set float levels either.
                              As far as the Kreem..... I couldn't tell you. One would need a orthoscope to perform an inspection. Besides, there are so many variables like if the process was done properly and the tank cleaned out correctly before proceeding with the three step process.
                              My local MC shop turned me on to this new sealant which is a sigle step process. You don't even have to remove the rust, it likes a porous surface to adhere to. You just have to make sure it's free of oily residues. I cleaned my 80G tank with a quart of denatured alcohol and that was it.
                              If anyone is interested I can take a pic of the can and ask the mechanic where he got it. I payed $75 for a quart and only used less than half to coat it. He later showed me a 1/2 pint can of a similar product guaranteed not to be affected by our new fuels. We both agreed it was the same stuff.

So... for now the crisis is over.
                              1980G Standard, Restored
                              Kerker 4 - 1
                              850 Rear End Mod
                              Automatic CCT
                              1980GH Special, Restored
                              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Cobia,
                                Yep, that is moving though them for sure. I knew you had the steps down, just forgot to mention, and Chop is acomplished enough that I figure he knew already to. Just one of those hate to say nothing and have someone less experienced read this and come back asking how to fix the needle or slide after they pounded the emulsion tube through it.

Given the amount of tanks that I have read on here to have been "kreemed" or the like, and the frequency of this problem, being never reported in the 6 or so months I have been around. I am strongly inclined to buy that it is the 2 cycle mix that caused your issue. Just glad you were able to figure it out relatively easily.

And TC, if it looks like that...see a doctor dude.
                                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                                93 GSX600F
                                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                                81 XS1100 Special
                                81 CB750 C
                                80 CB750 C
                                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                                X