No announcement yet.

One for the UBER GURUS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DO a COLD compression test as well and do it with the throttle wide open. I agree that your likely dumping too much fuel in there. i had a similar issue with my 79 standard but it was number 3 and in the end it proved to be a fuel delivery issue.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

As you probably already know, the plug on the pilot jet was due to a cross connect between the pilot and the main jet towers. If you have them out and opened up, I would pull the main, pilot and emulsion tube, look in and see if the connector is in there. If not, then the rubber plug should not be in there and your running with no pilot jet feed. Making even wierder that you would have a rich condition.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

My guess is you have a big bore but I can't say for sure. My bike has 174 psi across all 4. I have no idea if mine is a big bore as I have never had the head off. Better let someone else answer that.
        Some of the early series 3 have pilot plugs. If yours has a little hole just under the main jet connecting the main jet tunnel to the pilot jet tunnel then you need the plugs, otherwise not.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I think if it was a big bore kited bike the numbers would be higher then your seeing but anything is possible. Could just be carbon buildup.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

On compression tests the exact numbers are not as important as showing more than no compression, and consistency between cylinders. Usually 10-15% difference is normal on an engine. If you really need to be precise with numbers a leak down tester is a much better alternative, and will show where the leaks are going.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
              I was astounded at the ammount of sediment that got past the filters and came out of the bowls.
              My bet is on a plugged pilot jet.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Or gunk in the float needle / seat, that might cause the over-rich condition on that carb.

Comment

Possibly a float height issue? If this is the brass float type, it is possible the float is taking on fuel and causing some strange problems.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey Rob,

Folks have discussed that the big bore kit on the earlier model engines was supposed to increase the compression ratio to 10.25:1 vs. the 9.2:1 OEM. It has also been "discussed" that on the later model 9.0:1 engines, that the piston chamber is deeper due to the larger valves, and the Wiseco pistons were forged with the earlier heads/valves in mind, and so they don't actually stick up into the later models as high, so don't increase the Comp. Ratio as much as the Wiseco stated values.

HOWEVER, I have an 81 engine with stock cams, I did the little big bore, and after it was broken in, a COLD comp test I did yeilded 180 psi range values, which closely matches the 10.25:1 ratio gain quoted by Wiseco. My engine had not been run long enough to form a bunch of carbon buildup in the engine...IMHO, and so I believe my values to be realistic. Now that I have some 16K miles on it, I need to recheck it to see what it shows!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well Folks, here's the poop (literally)

Have been at it all afternoon and partway into the night... pity, pity me..
                      Thanks for all of you who steered me away from digging deeper into the ignition and suggested I look into the fuel side.
                      It wasn't in the float or float needle, nor in the pilot jet.
                      During the carb teardown I discovered that the emulsion tube, known as the main nozzle in the literature, was halfway covered on the outside with this gelatinous "sandy" substance. Which if left out in the open for more than 10 min. give or take, would turn into a white/light tan crust.
                      Pictures will follow after I eat dinner.
                      Makes me wonder if these "new" ethanol added gasolines dissolve the Kreem coating in the tank and get by the normal screen filters. Not only the screen filters of the petcocks (which are missing in mine and replaced by a fine screen at the bottom of the petcock) and even the in-line filters which I intalled when I first cleaned the carbs?
                      Carbs are back together and installed.
                      Tank is flushed and back together, need to touch up the paint underneath the sides which was affected by the gasoline. (Morning job)
                      While the paint dries I'll re-install the original coil which I replaced with a known good one. And the cap which I took off my 80G.
                      And cross my fingers, legs, eyes, etc. And give it a whirl.
                      Tomorrow I will be looking for in-line filters with a finer element in an attempt to keep that sedimentation out of the carbs.
                      Pics will be up in an hour or so.
                      Once again..... Gracias Amigos!!
                      1980G Standard, Restored
                      Kerker 4 - 1
                      850 Rear End Mod
                      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                      Automatic CCT
                      1980GH Special, Restored
                      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Well my tank has been Kreem coated for a while now-lets see maybe since 1990 or earlier.I don't have the stock petcocks either as i switched to Pingel petcocks about the same time frame.Either way i don't think that the ethanol amount in today's gasoline would break down the Kreem coating if it was properly applied.I'm not saying that it couldn't but i don't think so.In fact i replaced the fuel sending unit on my SG a week or so ago.When the unit was off the tank i did see a little bit of stuff(fine whitish sediment) in the tank but the fine metal screens on the petcocks and the fuel filters are doing their job so it is not getting into the carbs.Waiting on the photos from you.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        xschop K & N air filter setup
                        Dynojet Recalibration kit
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

I just did carbs on my F,

I don't believe they'd ever been opened up prior to that, and there were no rubber plugs anywhere ... pilot jets have a screw on top. Interesting though.

I had gotten a set of carbs from someone once that looked perfect inside and out. Checked the float levels and put 'em on ... months of aggravation went by before I discovered the prior rebuilder had several jet needle clips in the wrong slots. Had symptoms similar to yours.
                          80G Mini-bagger
                          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

WHEN it fires right up, be proud instead of frustrated that it took so long. So many folk go directly to the carbs to start troubleshooting when the fact of the matter is that they should be last. Because you went through the motions in the right order your were able to narrow it down to the carbs and solve the problem. Now, go get a can of seafoam!
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Here are the pics....

I couldn't believe this crud, in one pic it had dried out in the other it's fresh out of the carb. Pics are a little soft, it's hard to do macro in the sunlight.

Ever seen any crap like this?
                              Last edited by Ken Talbot; 04-11-2009, 11:47 PM.
                              1980G Standard, Restored
                              Kerker 4 - 1
                              850 Rear End Mod
                              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                              Automatic CCT
                              1980GH Special, Restored
                              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Kinda looks like SUGAR!????!!!!????!!!????
                                1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                                "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                                My Photo Bucket

Comment

Working...
                                X