XJ1100J -- Engine Cuts Off during ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100J -- Engine Cuts Off during ride

After around 2 hrs on the road, the bike stops running. Have seen the sidestand warning on LCD screen only once, but cutout doesn't seem to be related to road condition, turning, straightline, etc. Restarts immediately, but once it starts cutting out, it continues to cut out repeatedly and with increasing frequency. I've checked on new replacement parts for the sidestand switch and sidestand relay, but Yamaha says they're discontinued. Any tests, repairs, modifications, or parts sources will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

The sidestand switch should only be suspect if the bike won't start. Given the problem you described, I suspect your problem is in other areas.

When there is a sidestand problem, it is generally in the switch mounted by the sidestand. You can bypass the switch. Remove the seat. Track the sidestand switch wiring to a 3-conductor connection just behind the tank. (On my XJ I did not have to remove the tank to find this connector.) Unplug the switch. The 3 conductors need to be tied together; I did this by taking some wire and crimp-on 1/4 inch spade connectors, maing a "Y" cable that has all 3 wires connected to each other, and slipped the connectors onto the bike-side terminals in the connector. This makes the system think the side stand is in the 'up' position at all times.

Try this and see if the problem persists.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Re: XJ1100J -- Engine Cuts Off during ride

Originally posted by ltay948
      After around 2 hrs on the road, the bike stops running. Have seen the sidestand warning on LCD screen only once, but cutout doesn't seem to be related to road condition, turning, straightline, etc. Restarts immediately, but once it starts cutting out, it continues to cut out repeatedly and with increasing frequency. I've checked on new replacement parts for the sidestand switch and sidestand relay, but Yamaha says they're discontinued. Any tests, repairs, modifications, or parts sources will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
      Maybe your filter towers in the tak are clogged near the bottom half (if the XJ11 is like the XS11). I took some out of a tank once that impounded gasoline without leaking a drop! They really didn't look crudded-up, but they were definately restricting fuel and I wasn't able to use the entire tank.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Check the tank vent....
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
        X