Spanner wrench???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanner wrench???

I need to find a spanner wrench to take off my triple trees. Sears has som but so many. What size do I need?!?!?!?!?
    Gotta go get it now!
    Thanks
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

If you're talking about the big chrome nut in the middle, 22mm should get that off. Underneath you will find two gear-like locking nuts. You can use a channel lock to get them off, or mikesxs sells a ring wrench that fits 'em perfect - Mikes XS Part #35-3005
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

good luck!

Trying to get that sucker off with a spanner , I used a chisel and hammer to spin the top lock nut off
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

already tried.....

channel locks. I have everyone you can think of. Harbor Frieght has a set ill get today and ill try them all. Its those stupid lock nuts. PITA!!!!
        Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
        1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
        XJ maxim rear air shocks
        KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
        Pod Filters

Money pit.......
        BLACKED OUT

Comment

Kermit - A flat-bladed screwdriver and a hammer will do it - like what garth was saying. They shouldn't be on there too tight. I think the torque spec is only about 7ftlbs. Just put the tip in one of the slots on the side closest to the front and tap it a little - top nut first.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I thought spanner was Brit speak for wrench... Anyway I use a socket and a breaker bar if it's stuck but most of the time a ratchet is enough. I've never chewed one up to where it had to be replaced.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

A Spanner is.. what in the US is called an Open End Wrench
              A Wrench is... what the Brits call a Ring Spanner

At least so I have been told
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

These things, right?
                http://www.mcmaster.com/#spanner-and...enches/=1c3n21
                McMaster calls them spanner wrenches but back 'ome we called them peg wrenches.
                BTW you need two of them to keep the steering head bearing adjustment from shifting as you lock the peg nuts together.
                Some common North American tool names followed by the English equivalent:-
                wrench = spanner
                Box-end wrench = ring spanner
                Vise-grip = Mole wrench
                Crescent wrench = adjustable spanner.
                Pipe wrench = Stilson
                And to add to the richness of the English language, in Scotland Spanner = Key
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X