No announcement yet.

XS1100G Carb rebuild Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chad - That's the thing with the kits with the jets included. For $12 you can get the basic kit, and another $6 will get you the pilot and main jets of your choice at Mikes (sold in pairs). You get the mixture screw in the Z1 kit (which may require modification to your carbs to use), but you may wind-up throwing away the jets, depending on your mods. Just some stuff to think about.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Lordskeep, the XS1100G/H and the XS1100SG/LG/SH/LH are supposed to use different main jets and different main needles.

Reality: I've been searching high and low for a XS1100G (Standard) carburetor kit for almost a year and there are none that I can find anywhere.
      None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zeeero. There are no carburetor kits for the XS1100G or XS1100H Standards, just the Specials. Treat your main needles and emulsion tubes better than gold because you have a better chance of finding a set of dentures for a Road Island Red than you do of finding new needles and emulsion tubes.

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
      Don't know about brass and ethanol, but regarding galvanic or electrolisis across disimilar metals, Brass is a di-electric. It is used in place of di-electric fittings in commercial and industrial piping systems for joining steel and copper piping together for all sorts of liquids including water, glycol, and fuels. Without the brass, the piping won't last three years, with it, it will last our lifetime.
      True, but here isn't a whole lot of galvanism or electrolysis going on in a Mikuni carburetor. Now that you mention it though I should check to see if the 0.5 liter hot water heater under the seat has a anti-galvanic coupler.

I remember a couple of years when you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a private pamphlet or some federally-funded flyer warning about the problems that would be associated with alcohol in fuel since before they actually started putting alcohol in the fuel. It's not like they didn't tell us about it.

Regards,

Scott
      Last edited by 3Phase; 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
        True, but here isn't a whole lot of galvanism or electrolysis going on in a Mikuni carburetor.

Regards,

Scott
        Of course not, they put all that brass in there! (Its a joke, Think "Parent Trap" movie and banging sticks to keep the mountian lions away)
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Somebody should sell kits with parts that you actually NEED. Like the few parts that actually wear. Kits should have new float needles and o-rings for the press in seats. For 70's carbs, Viton tipped float needles. There should also be bowl gaskets, rubber pilot tower plugs, needle jets, and jet needles. That's it. 99.9% of the time, no new jets are needed. And, in this magical dream world, the kits would have Mikuni parts and be affordable. Hell, while I'm at it, how about butterfly shaft seals.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            Of course not, they put all that brass in there! (Its a joke, Think "Parent Trap" movie and banging sticks to keep the mountian lions away)
            All of that XS brass plays such sweet music when you strike up the power-band!

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
              Somebody should sell kits with parts that you actually NEED.
              You know, I'm really not sure what's up with Mikuni. God bless them and God help their new customers when they become old customers.

I wish I could make parts myself but I'm not a machinist. Sure, the rough dimensions are available from a few dark recesses of the internets but if I tried to spin out a precision carburetor needle it would -- if I was very lucky! look like something fashioned by the third chimp on the right poking a pointy stick in a termite mound.

Regards,

Scott
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

Question

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                Somebody should sell kits with parts that you actually NEED. Like the few parts that actually wear. Kits should have new float needles and o-rings for the press in seats. For 70's carbs, Viton tipped float needles. There should also be bowl gaskets, rubber pilot tower plugs, needle jets, and jet needles. That's it. 99.9% of the time, no new jets are needed. And, in this magical dream world, the kits would have Mikuni parts and be affordable. Hell, while I'm at it, how about butterfly shaft seals.
                Whats the rubber pilot tower plug for? My carbs never had them in them
                when I took them open.Am I going to need to install when I put the carbs back together?

Comment

Some carbs need them & some don't

Originally posted by Lordskeep View Post
                  Whats the rubber pilot tower plug for? My carbs never had them in them
                  when I took them open. Am I going to need to install when I put the carbs back together?
                  Hi Lordskeep,
                  earlier XS11 carbs pilot jets draw gas from above the main jet. The plug bungs up the hole the pilot jet screws in from. If you leave the plug out the bike runs really rich.
                  Later XS11 carbs pilot jets draw gas directly from the float bowl and if you put the bungs in those carbs the pilot jets get no gas at all and the bike won't run well at all.
                  The way to tell is to remove the pilot & main jets and peer really carefully down the holes they came out of. If you can see a mebbe 1/8" hole drilled at a slant between the two holes, that carb needs the plug. If you can't, it don't.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                  X