X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100G Carb rebuild Kits

Hi,

I've been looking all over the net for rebuild kits for my 1980 XS1100G
    Standard.I can't find the right kit anywhere.All I can find our kits for the SG
    or a special.I need mostly in the kits a new air jet, main jet,Slow jet,needle and seat and bowl gasket.

Anyone know a site where I can buy the right kits at?

Thanks Chad

Try this site: https://www.carbkitscapital.com/carb...a&model=XS1100
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Depends on the kit you're looking for...but 3 good sources
      e-bay member 'georgefix'
      partsnmore.com
      mikesxs.com ..... just order parts, don't tell them what you are working on

I'm sure others will chime in with other sources...

most of the time the brass in these carbs can be cleaned, all you should really need are needle valves & seats, and bowl gaskets
      1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
      "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
      My Photo Bucket

Comment

Someone may correct me, but I don't think there is any difference between the 80 special or standard carbs, internally.

Some may do the different size jets in the center cylinders, but most just go the same across the board anyway.

What bugs me, is they include the main and pilot jets, parts which never wear out, but not the needle and needle valve (not the float needle and seat which is included) which do wear out.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Never say never

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
          What bugs me, is they include the main and pilot jets, parts which never wear out, but not the needle and needle valve (not the float needle and seat which is included) which do wear out.
          Hi Craz,
          "brass rot" (aka de-zincification) is common in boats that operate in sea water, galvanic action leaches out the zinc so the formerly brass fitting becomes a strengthless failure-prone copper sponge. That's why you buy the expensive silicon bronze boat fittings instead. Much to my surprise, carb. jets can get it too. The heads on two of my XS11SG carb main jets twisted right off on my initial carb cleaning attempt. And with a bike with any number of POs, who knows if one of them didn't clean out the jets with a drill bit? So by installing new jets you are getting jets that won't twist off and ain't been PO'd.
          At least you can buy the needle & needle valve. What bugs me is, nobody seems to sell the little domed wire mesh filters that snap onto the top of the float needle seats, nor do they come with the float needle & seat kits. So far I have managed to salvage the existing ones by using extreme care but that can't last forever.
          Last edited by fredintoon; 04-06-2009, 08:46 AM.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I like the sets from Z1. They come with ALL the parts. Here is the set for the '80G. It's $21.84/set, and you'll need 4 of them.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Fred,

I got the K&L kits from Georgefix on ebay. My new needle valve seats came with new filters. Should be the same as yours. He custom assembles the kits anyway, so perhaps if you ask him, he will sell you just the filters, or the seats anyway.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Chad - Looks like the mikes xs part #48-1408 be the ones for the 80G. $12 gets you the fuel valve (looks like viton tipped needle, but they don't actually say) with o-ring, bowl gasket, and rubber plug - no jets. I took a look at your profile and didn't see much detail on your setup. More information is needed to determine jetting requirements (aftermarket exhaust? modified intake?).

I agree totally with Fred's observations on what happens to brass that's been in the carbs for a long time. When I first rebuilt my carbs the jets were in really cruddy condition. One of them snapped in two when I put a screwdriver on it, and the others weren't in much better shape.

Yamaha's fiche shows the 80 specials and the standards with different factory jetting. The SG shows 120 and 125 mains, while the G shows 115's and 120's, and the LG shows 110's across the board. I'm sure it made sense to somebody.
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I don't know what you americans put in your gas, but up here we have brass parts in our carbs that are 30 years old, and other than slight discoloration, good as new.

The needle and needle valve can wear out in as little as 5000 miles, according to Mikuni.

Galvanic corrosion works really well, if you put SEAWATER in your gas tank, but gasoline is not a good conductor, or metal gas tanks would not work.

Up here we fill our tanks, when the bike is going to sit, so that things stay clean and rust-free.

Both sets of 80SG carbs I have use 110's across the board with #45 pilot jets. They also have different needles and valves than in the manuals, but both are the same. Another Canuck mod?
                  Last edited by Crazcnuk; 04-06-2009, 11:17 AM.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I don't know what you americans put in your gas
                    Evidently, whatever is cheapest! I went to gas up at Shell the other day 'cause that was the only place I could get 'real' gas. Now they have the little 10% Ethanol stickers. Sucks.

Another Canuck mod?
                    Could be - it's so hard to tell on these old machines. My brother was rejetting his 80G, and was a little confused by the configuration. Turned out they were carbs off a '78E.
                    Last edited by dbeardslee; 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM.
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Both my sets are 80SG carbs, which is neat, considering only one of the bikes is an SG!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                        I don't know what you americans put in your gas, but up here we have brass parts in our carbs that are 30 years old, and other than slight discoloration, good as new.
                        It's the ethanol, Craz.

From Enertech Labs:-

Blends above 10% are likely to cause problems in vehicles not designed for alcohol. These problems include delamination (chemical breakdown) of rubber, plastic, and synthetic components such as; rubber, plastic, and synthetic hoses, fuel lines, plastic fuel pumps, plastic fuel tanks, fiberglass fuel tanks, fuel tanks that are epoxy coated, or with rubberized, or plasticized liners, and aluminum, copper, brass, or bronze fuel system and injection system components.

In the long-term ethanol feasts on brass and a good part of the rest of the fuel system.

Regards,

Scott
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Don't know about brass and ethanol, but regarding galvanic or electrolisis across disimilar metals, Brass is a di-electric. It is used in place of di-electric fittings in commercial and industrial piping systems for joining steel and copper piping together for all sorts of liquids including water, glycol, and fuels. Without the brass, the piping won't last three years, with it, it will last our lifetime.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

I like the sets from Z1. They come with ALL the parts. Here is the set for the '80G. It's $21.84/set, and you'll need 4 of them.
                            Fred, Z1 also sells the mikuni screens.

SU002-606 Mikuni

Mikuni Needle Valve filter
                            OEM: VM18/233 -
                            $3.74

Don't know if it'll fit the XS - but check out their photo, it sure looks like the right one.

Comment

recarb kit

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                              So the XS1100G and the XS1100SG our the same carb and kits? it sure looks like the right kit..Wish it told the jet sizes the kit comes with.

Once again, thanks to all you guys for the help with my bike

Chad

Comment

Working...
                              X