Megasquirt EFI and Ignition Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megasquirt EFI and Ignition Project

For the last FOUR years I have been dreaming and planning to convert Megathrust to fuel injection. Not because there is anything wrong with my carbs, but because unlike most people, the project is just as fun as the riding. MainlyLinux, Dan Mann, was the first to do it here on the site. Then Stan Squirted his XJ and added a GM DIS ignition system that MS also controls. Stan did an excellent job and created an excellent web site to share his experience. Stan is currently in the process of Squirting an XS.

I have slowly been accumulating parts since way back when Dan told us here at Channel 11 about MS. Two parts have been the biggest hurdles. The reluctor wheel, and the fuel pump. Unlike Stan's first wheel, I cheated and had it made at a machine shop. Because the '81 already had an electronic timing curve, there is no mechanical advance unit, just a solid rotor. I took the stock rotor to the shop and told the nice man to cut it down to 1" and to weld on a circular plate 3.5" in diameter and 5/16" thick. This is what I got;

The next step was to mount the VR (variable reluctor) sensor. This has to be done first and then the timing marks on the wheel based off of its postion.

Here, I had the wheel on the bike while I used cam position and a dial indicator to find true TDC. Once that had been established, I made a mark on the wheel edge at the VR sensor and one on the face of the wheel to match a notch I made when I modified my stock timing pointer.

I downloaded an image of a degree wheel off of the internet and, in Photoshop, changed the size to be the same as the reluctor wheel.

I then taped it to the face of the RW lined up with the TDC mark I had made while it was on the bike. I used my automatic center punch and a tungsten-carbide scribe to make marks for the timing notches. The only notch that lines up with an actual event is the notch to the right of the double notch. This notch is aligned with TDC.

Off to the drill press to drill holes as starters for the timing notches.

Here it is all notched out and mounted on the bike.

Here is where I mounted the GM DIS unit. The unit came out of a '92 Saturn. The coil on the left is 2&3, the right, 1&4.

As you can see, everything is mounted with zip-ties for now. Until everything works, I am trying to do minimum modifications to the bike. However, this spot is perfect, and will certainly be retained. I had to cut off the front coil mount to get it up in there.

I decided to mount the MS box behind the battery. It is a nice fit, and it gives great access to ports. You can see the serial port on the right side where you plug in the computer for setup, tuning, and data logging.

While I had things apart and the bike disabled, I decided I would finally try the old-cam-new-cam combo often mentioned by Dan Hodges. In the past, I had tried running both intake and exhause 2H7 cams. The top end was AMAZING! However, I didn't like how much I had lost on the bottom end. So, I installed and re-shimmed the 2H7 intake cam with the stock 3H5 exhaust cam. I took some pics for folks to be able to see the difference in the came shapes between the two.

Other than this, I wanted to avoid inputting any unnecessary variables. So, I decided to set up the bike for everything, but run it with just carbs and the new ignition first. The wiring took FOREVER! It must have taken me weeks (I don't have much spare time) just to get the wiring all deciphered and mapped out on paper. Turns out that while all the GM DIS units are the same, there are about a zillion different combinations of pin position and wire color for different applications. Boy, am I glad I did. I had some some configuration issues the first time I started it up. It ran like crap and the timing was WAY off. However, once it was properly configured and the timing in the tables matched the timing seen on the timing light, it purred nicely. I took it out for a spin yesterday. It ran great. The cam combo really felt nice. I didn't notice much loss on the bottom and the top seemed noticeably more powerful. Obviously, the cam swap wouldn't be a great mod for all of those running the 750/850 final drive swap. The bike seem very smooth and refined as it went up through the RPM. I don't know if that was the ignition system or just that it has been so long since I rode Megathrust, but it ran really nice.

Coming up with the timing curve wasn't too bad, but I am not done yet, either. I based the timing table off of Stan's diagrams he posted on his web site and some discussions I had with Dan Hodges. Dan recommended (if I remember correctly) an initial timing of 10 degrees becoming fully advanced to to 40 degrees by 4500 RPM. He also stated that as the RPM got higher and higher, advance actually became less desirable. None of this is in quotes for a reason. Dan will probably get on here and tell me that I should have listened better and that I have it all wrong. Obviously, I haven't taken the manifold pressure into account yet. This is how the vacuum portion of the stock 11's advance works. When manifold pressure is low/negetive there is very little load and the timing is further advanced to increase economy. However, until I do some data logging and get some actual pressure numbers, I will leave it as a basic RPM based table only. I am posting the table and am open to suggestions on possible improvements to the numbers posted.

Although I really didn't want to, I tore the carbs off last night and started rigging up the fuel system. If you remember from reading earlier, I stated the the second big hurdle in this process was obtaining a fuel pump. The '99-'00 Hayabusa inline fuel pumps are near impossible to get/find. If one does come up on ebay, they get expensive quick. The rest of the GSXR's and other FI bikes all run in-tank pumps. My plan before I found my current fuel pump was to have a chunk of aluminum pipe tigged up to mount a gixxer in-tank pump in. I have one sitting in my garage in case my small pump doesn't work out. I found out that most of the new FI quads run external pumps. I found some that looked awesome that came off a Suki LTR450. I ran some tests on it and found that it can push .5 liters in a minute and 7 seconds past the regulator. A couple months back, I found several fuel pump/horsepower calculators with no problems. With some numbers from some earlier tests, they all led me to believe that the pump put out enough fuel at pressure to run up to 120hp. Since then, with more accurate numbers, I can't find ANY calculators. It's really weird. I hope the pump will be sufficient because the size is awesome.

I have the '03 GSXR 600 throttle bodies now mounted and wired in. The fuel pump is temporarily mounted (in case it doesn't work out). A made a seconds set of Accel 8mm spark plug wires from the box that I bought a while back. The great part is that there is still enough wire and fittings to make a THIRD set. Best 40-something bucks I ever spent. If you look in the pis below, you can see the brass fitting coming out the end of the fuel rail. I drilled it out and installed the fitting so that fuel would always be circulating through the rail, thus keeping it cooler. The regulator will be beyond this fitting and send fuel back to the tank.

This week the new 44mm Uni pod filters show up and I have to order a custom throttle cable from Motion Pro. It should be fairly straight forward though. I already had a GSXR right throttle grip and control. So, all I need is one that is TWICE as long.

I still have LOTS of tidying up to do with the wiring, but not until I know that everything is working as it should. I don't wanna hear the phrase "birds nest" outta anybody!

I will continue to update this thread as I make more progress. I am sure I am forgetting to mention tons of details.

'81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Why does your reluctor wheel have six cutouts if its only a four cylinder? I understand the double notch, but why the other two? Shouldn't it just have 4?
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Because the ICM reads the notches to get RPM/crank speed. The double notch is the 'sync pulse.' So, the ICM uses the crank speed and different methods (selectable by the user) to 'calculate' when it fires.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hmm, most low resolution EI setups I have seen (all factory from cars) have the same number of pulses as the number of cylinders. High res ones use more like 50 pulses to sense fluctuations in crank speed and that is how OBDII senses misfires and which cylinder it is.

I think your FI setup is really tricked out. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes for you. Ultimate tinkering entertainment!
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

HEREis a link to the MegaManual section on the GM DIS. Probably a better explanation than I can regurge.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Thats just awesome. :-)
            looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Hey, your missing the side cover grommet on the left side.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

webbcraft2150
                Hey, your missing the side cover grommet on the left side.
                Oh, but you are wrong, sir. The grommet is IN the cover.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I called up Motion Pro today to order my $30 custom throttle cable. I ended up ordering a GSXR cable extended 23". Because the cable comes up to the throttle bodies from underneath, I had a 90 deg elbow put on the end. It will run from the outside of the #4 throttle body and up between 2 and 3. Problem is that because it's spring, the cable guys are backed up and have a 12-15 day turn around.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Do you have the reluctor diagram/dimensions?
                    I am machining a VSS wheel for my other project and have the equipment setup to make degreed notches. I may do FI to the big bore later on......
                    That sensor looks like the stock GM VSS sensor that I have too.
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock
                    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

My wheel was a half inch smaller than this one, but I used the same notch dimensions.
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Great work

Are you running with the MegasquirtnSpark-extra software? It would be good if you were as then we could compare fuel tables.

I'm not convinced that I want to drill my nice new chrome headers for a lambda bung so I may try and tune mine without an O2 sensor!

Can't wait to see yours running!
                        '84 Sport

Comment

That is amazing work! I think my brain just turned to mush...oozing out of my nose.....
                          1978 XS1100E Standard
                          Kerker Exhaust
                          Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                          TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
                          Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Shapp's, I thought MicroSquirt was MSII...? I am running the standard B&G soft/firmware. The only incentive, that I know of, for me to run the MS&E, is that if provides an option for Launch Control. All it is, is a clutch switch actuated lower rpm limiter. I don't know if I will ever actually go to the drag strip, but after having it on the MSD I was running for a while, I wouldn't mind having it again. Once things are all worked out, maybe I will give it a try.

Korr, thanks man. It has been such a cool project. Waiting on the damn throttle cable is killing me. At least the weather here sucks right now.
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

It's true that the MSnS-Extra software has lots of extra bells and whistles that we would never use, but the main reason that people use it (me and Stan included), is that it gives you those nice 12 x 12 fuel tables.

I've been scratching my head wondering how to mount my Ford VR sensor to the engine (I'm using a 36-1 toothed wheel). Your solution is perfect, I never thought of using the old vacuum pipe hole as a place I could put a bolt through! Good work.
                              '84 Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X