cHOKE Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cHOKE Only

Started 80SG after 2 months away. Installed new battery. Will not run unless full choke. Will not tolerate any throttle. Any ideas?

Thanks

This was my first post and I failed to search the threads to see if the question had been asked already. I'll start on the carbs after a dose of Seafoam.

Comment

Originally posted by PacerXS View Post
      Started 80SG after 2 months away. Installed new battery. Will not run unless full choke. Will not tolerate any throttle. Any ideas?
      Hi Pacer & welcome,
      runs on all 4, right? Do a search here on "carb cleaning" Believe the "triple clean" advice. The hard part is getting the carbs clear of the accurséd air box.
      My own prejudices prompt me to say that after you have bloodied your knuckles from working on said airbox you may also want to do a search on "pod air filters"
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Pod Filters

I have read that jetting a bike with aftermarket filters can be a problem,especially for a neophyte.

Comment

Pods will usually lean it out a little, so you may have to go a little bigger on the mains. There's a post in Tech Tips under Modifications labeled Jetting Recommendations that will pretty much tell you what size jets you will need. While that may be a minor pain, nothing like the pain you'll feel after the 10th time taking the carbs off with the stock airbox in place. Pods makes it a LOT easier to pull the carbs, which I think is what Fred was driving at.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I 2'nd that seafoam should be put in the tank and let it run for a bit then let it sit overnight.Also you might want to spritz the pipes to see if they sizzle.If they do at least they are getting fuel.Do not run the bike with it continually on choke.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

If the bike will only run with the "choke", the pilot jet is plugged! Seafoam, and I say a full can in about 1 to 2 gallons of gas, may do the trick. Just do as oldyam80sg said, and try again in the morning.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yes, the "choke" on these bikes bypasses the pilot circuit with an extra rich slosh of fuel air mix. But two months probably didn't plug your idle jets. If it did, you need to buy different gasoline, cause that stuff is nasty.

Did you let the bike warm up at all and see if it would run without the choke? Mine is really touchy on cold start up, and don't like running much until warmed up. Definately won't take any throttle when cold and no choke, if it will idle at all.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I had a similar problem on mine. It turned out that the little jets in the actual float bowls were part of the issue. I would say to be sure that all the jets and tiny passages in the carbs are clean, and that will most likely solve your problem.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                  X