Vacuum line question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackD1114 View Post
    Ok. So, there is a vacuum line that comes off of the left side enigine cover and goes to the octopus for the fuel system.
    TC already pionted out the problem here

Originally posted by BlackD1114 View Post
    My biggest concern was needing to buy a gasket and having to wait longer to fire up the bike.
    The motor will run with out the cover on, no problems, just don't ride it without the cover

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
    What I find funny about this thread is that there were 5 replies that talked about the sidecover, but nobody said anything to CORRECT the apparent error in the routing of THAT hose!?
    T.C.
    just like DGXSER this surprised me too,

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
    You don't need a gasket for the side cover. It just bolts on.
    My opinion, it does need to be gasketed, in some way. No water shouldn't cause a problem, but could.
    But then this is my first bike with pointless ignition
    I put a small bead of black RTV on the cover mating surface. ran my finger along the edge to even it out, then let it dry, voila its a seal

My scoot has the two bottom bolt holes busted out. no gasket and only two bolts holding it in place.

I can see Tod's point though. I definitely wouldn't seal it up tight with silicone though.

Anyone ever successfully had their case welded up in such a situation.
    Ivan: thanks to latenite TV & Info-mercials.....Alumaweld comes to mind,
    barely. I fell asleep, the narrator was so ...... what's the word.....BORING!
    1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
    "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
    My Photo Bucket

Comment

Thanks for all of the great input. I went and bought a piece of vacuum line. I haven't had time to get tp the bike to replace it yet but I'll be working on it tomorrow. I believe that there is a gasket on it right now and if it comes off DGXSER's then I'll just reuse it; if I'm wrong and there isn't one there I'll just play it safe and seal it up(probably using the the RTV trick renegade mentions).

I have another quick question while I'm at it. I plan on replacing the the fuel lines. I plan on picking up two small inline fuel filters to use in the lines going from the petcocks to the carbs. Is there anything else I should be aware of before I replace the lines?
      '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
      '86 VF500F
      '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

Comment

In my opinion, you do NOT want to use automotive type fuel line. The soft rubber inside tends to get torn up by the fittings they plug on to and the pieces get into your carbs and wreak havoc on the float valves. BTDT. I currently have the yellow vinyl fuel line they sell at Home Depot from Briggs & Straton on my bike. do not even have clamps on the lines and they are holding solid so far. JMHO and expereince
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I have another quick question while I'm at it. I plan on replacing the the fuel lines. I plan on picking up two small inline fuel filters to use in the lines going from the petcocks to the carbs. Is there anything else I should be aware of before I replace the lines?
          DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE FUEL LINES!!!! As DGXSER said, the semiclear line from Home Depo, or any "small engine" 1/4" fuel line, will work. You will need about 3 to 4' of fuel line, because of the octy. I would put the fuel filters inline between the "T" fittings and the 1,2 and 3,4 carb pairs. That way, if you are on main, reserve, or prime, you have FILTERED fuel going to the carbs. Leave a little extra line if you can without having it crimp. This will make it easier for working on the bike, and removing the fuel tank.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yellow tubing

It's soooo much easier to work with and you can actually take you're needle nose or a regular pair of pliers and adjust the factory clamps if you have em. Another option is to use plastic ty-raps to secure.
            78 XS1100E Standard
            Coca Cola Red
            Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

I'll try and get some pics some time later and start a new thread.

There are some rather big chunks missing out of my case where the bolts were over tightened.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Hi guys

I had to rewire the pickups last week as per the usual problem and I noticed a little bit of oil in there about 3-4 Tablespoons worth and in an earlier post someone said it should be dry. Does that mean I have a serious problem that requires attn as it's been dripping oil out of the end cover for years and I thought 'If it ain't broke...'

TTFN

Daw
                78 XS1100 E Hardtail Chop
                84 GPz900 A2
                85 XJ900 F - Manky Despatch Bike Done 281,000 miles!
                93 CB1000 Big1

Comment

Originally posted by darren10000 View Post
                  Hi guys

I had to rewire the pickups last week as per the usual problem and I noticed a little bit of oil in there about 3-4 Tablespoons worth and in an earlier post someone said it should be dry. Does that mean I have a serious problem that requires attn as it's been dripping oil out of the end cover for years and I thought 'If it ain't broke...'

TTFN

Daw
                  Probably just the crank seal seeping a bit. Mine gest an oily film in it too. As long as it isnt flooded with oil, I wouldnt worry too hard about it. From what I saw on my XS putting in a new lip seal shouldnt be that big of a deal. Most good auto shops can look up a seal by dimension.
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Probably just the crank seal seeping a bit. Mine gest an oiily film in it too. As long as it isnt flooded with oil, I wouldnt worry too hard about it. From what I saw on my XS putting in a new lip seal shouldnt be that big of a deal. Most good auto shops can look up a seal by dimension.
                    When I use the bike regularly it hardly leaks at all, it's just when it's been sitting for a while on the side-stand (Kick Stand for our US friends) for a few weeks then it leaks out when it's fired up and gets warm

Daw
                    Last edited by darren10000; 04-01-2009, 09:55 AM.
                    78 XS1100 E Hardtail Chop
                    84 GPz900 A2
                    85 XJ900 F - Manky Despatch Bike Done 281,000 miles!
                    93 CB1000 Big1

Comment

Working...
                    X