Vacuum line question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum line question.

Ok. So, there is a vacuum line that comes off of the left side enigine cover and goes to the octopus for the fuel system. Mine has a crack in the line where it connects to the octopus. I want to replace this line but I can't get the line free from where it enters the motor. I would rather not remove the side cover but if I have to then I have no choice. Any clue where this line goes to exactly and how I can remove it? The bike is an '81 LH.
    '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
    '86 VF500F
    '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

Why are you not wanting to remove the sidecover? 4 screws and it's off. Nothing spring loaded.. no wires attached.. no jack-in-the-boxes gonna pop out at you.

Take it off and start getting to know your bike a bit.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Vacuum Line

I don't know about an 81 but the vacuum line going into the left side cover on my 78 & 79 is the vacuum line going to the vacuum advance. There is a rubber grommet where the line goes into the side cover. Should not be a big deal changing.
      78 XS1100E Standard
      Coca Cola Red
      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

My biggest concern was needing to buy a gasket and having to wait longer to fire up the bike. I spent two weeks for for a carb intake boot and at that rate I might have the bike running this winter if I keep needing gather up nickel and dime parts. Oh well, I'll just pop it off and get to work. Thanks for the motivation.
        Last edited by BlackD1114; 03-28-2009, 08:29 AM.
        '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
        '86 VF500F
        '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

Comment

Gasket

You should be able to get the gasket material from any auto parts house and make you're own gasket.
          78 XS1100E Standard
          Coca Cola Red
          Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

You should not be really concerned about a gasket as i believe that no oil or liquid will come out.My 99 ZRX is another story as about a tablespoon or 2 of oil spills out when you remove that cover.Yours should be dry inside.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Missing the forest for the trees!

Originally posted by BlackD1114 View Post
              Ok. So, there is a vacuum line that comes off of the left side enigine cover and goes to the octopus for the fuel system. Mine has a crack in the line where it connects to the octopus. The bike is an '81 LH.
              Hey Black,

What I find funny about this thread is that there were 5 replies that talked about the sidecover, but nobody said anything to CORRECT the apparent error in the routing of THAT hose!?

That hose should NOT go to the octopus, but it connects to the little brass nipple on the #2 carb body....not the synch port of the intake boot! That carb nipple is a metered vacuum for the vacuum advance. IF it's connected to the OCTY, it'll do NOTHING. And if it's connected to one of the synch ports, it'll rattle the advance unit with overpowering pulses, and won't work right.

The OCTY should have a vacuum line going from it to the #2 intake boot synch port.

Hope you get it fired up soon!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That is right TC-I swore that a mechanic that did my work years ago had put it on the sync port and i believed that was correct but the noise that comes from the advancer will drive you mad!Connect it to the proper place and be done with it!
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Hah! Good one Tod!

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Why are you not wanting to remove the sidecover? 4 screws and it's off. Nothing spring loaded.. no wires attached.. no jack-in-the-boxes gonna pop out at you.

Take it off and start getting to know your bike a bit.

Tod
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

[
                    but nobody said anything to CORRECT the apparent error in the routing of THAT hose!?
                    SOME of us have a somewhat legit excuse by not knowing much about how the XS advance works... so cut SOME of us a little slack. Feel free to rag on the others though.. lol.

As stated.. go to your local auto parts store and get some rolled gasket material. Go to your local dollar store or Walmart and get a $1 paper punch. I then dip my finger in some oil and coat the gasket surface of the sidecover and press it down on the gasket material.. hold it tight and trace the outline with a pen.. including down into the screw holes. Lift the sidecover off, and trace the inside of the oil mark with the pen.. then use all your kindergarten skills and cut out the gasket. Use the paper punch for the holes.

Tod
                    Last edited by trbig; 03-28-2009, 10:16 AM.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

You don't need a gasket for the side cover. It just bolts on. If you look carefully, there is a place that lest any stuff in there drain out, so a gasket is going to be worthless anyway. You definitely would NOT want to seal it up, as any oil that accumulates in there will surely destroy the insulation on the wires in the ignition pick up.

TC beat me to it, but yes the vacuum line should go to ported vacuum on the #2 carb. The hose that runs the vacuum shut off valve (octy) goes to the synch port on #2, or what ever one you want to run it to, I guess.

Also, vacuum line is not interchangeable with fuel line. The fuel line on bikes looks a lot like vacuum line, so be careful. The first time you try to run fuel through vacuum line, it will get hard and dry and crack. Fuel line might work ok as vacuum line, but just don't mix them up.
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I kind of disagree with Ivan on this one. You wouldn't want to be caught in the rain and have water being wind-driven inside the seam between the case and cover into the parts that are making the fire at the right time for your motor. Anyone ever gotten a lot of moisture under a distributer cap?

There is a weep hole at the bottom that a gasket doesn't cover up. This is to let any oil that may seep from a leaking crank bearing out.

That's just my opinion on it.. for what it's worth.

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Hehe,

My scoot has the two bottom bolt holes busted out. no gasket and only two bolts holding it in place. I haven't spent much time in the rain, but have been through a couple downpours, and haven't had a problem....yet.

I can see Tod's point though. I definitely wouldn't seal it up tight with silicone though.

Anyone ever successfully had their case welded up in such a situation. I have been thinking about finding a welder to renew the case and drilling and tapping a coupe new holes.
                          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

One more stinkin opinion

As to the gasket, mine has one on it. Same one that was on it when I got the bike, probably the same one was on it from the factory. Stays with the cover when ever I open it up and goes right back on nice and purty every time. So unless I am just REALLY lucky (yeah...right), no need for a new gasket no matter how you look at it.

TC....I was thinkin the same thing as I read through the thread. How did all these folks, much smarter than me I feel, miss THAT. First thing that caught my eye. Where is Prom when you need him.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                              Anyone ever successfully had their case welded up in such a situation. I have been thinking about finding a welder to renew the case and drilling and tapping a coupe new holes.

Hey Ivan,

Aluminum is a PITA to weld. That case is fairly deep. Along with the threaded nubs breaking off, how much towards the engine did it break off if at all? I was thinking that you could cut/grind a recess where the bolt holes/nubs were. Then tap a threaded hole thru the case a little farther away from the cutouts towards the engine, so you could then take a piece of aluminum that you cut into an "L", secure it to the case and drill, tap the "L" with the thread size to take the timing cover bolts, and then you would have the "L"'s to secure the case to on the bottom!? JAT?
                              T.C.
                              Borrowed photo from PU coil repair showing lower left bolt nub!
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X