'84 XJ1100...narrowing down the problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
    I would ask why you think the pilot jet is plugged?

The pilot jet sits, upside down, above the float bowl. The only way it can get plugged, really is if it sucks up a large chunk of floating debris?

You can remove the float bowl, with the carb in the bike. You just need a shorty phillips screwdriver.
    I think I might be able to remove the float bowl. It might be tight, but then I don't have to deal with the choke, throtle, air box and whatever else might be attached to this one carb.

I think it is the pilot jet because I have checked to make sure there is spark. All other pipes get hot except # 1 and I have no problems once the bike gets going and the main jet kicks in. (mind you I didn't know what a carb was last week, so this is just what I think it is from reading on this site, and from all the help)

I might try to fiddle with the float bowl and try to get the pilot jet off, leaving everything still attached. That way if I get over my head, I just have to screw the float bowl cover back on (again a real newbee)

thanks everyone again for the advice....stop me if you think what I'm about to try is wrong or won't work. I won't be doing it until my days off next week so will check back here to see all you advice
    '84 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

Have you checked the mixture screw setting? IIRC, and some of the gurus can and probably will correct me here, the mixture screw does effect all the way up to the mains kicking in. You can try turning it down to very lightly seated position and counting the turns. then put it back. Try the same with one of the others, and put it back. Will tell you if it is close anyway.

I would think that the fuel that flows through the pilot jet will still be in there when the bike is shut off and may dry up. Also, sitting on the side stand, fuel level will be pushed up in the bowl to one side and may get up to the pilot jet. I just set my valve clearnaces yesterday (first time I have done that..ever) I was very surprised at how much oil was in the valve pockets for no 1 cylinder form it sitting on the side stand. All the others had very little oil, but the entire lifter was covered in no 1 cylinder valves. JAT. HTH
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

This may help
        wingnut
        81 SH (Daily Ride)
        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have the air box, thx, and it's a 5 minute job to get them out.

There are only 3 screws to the airbox, 2 for the seat and 1 for the gas tank.

If you try and shortcut any of these, yes it'll take 30 minutes.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I have the air box, thx, and it's a 5 minute job to get them out.

There are only 3 screws to the airbox, 2 for the seat and 1 for the gas tank.

If you try and shortcut any of these, yes it'll take 30 minutes.
            Crazcnuk,
            He has an XJ, NOT AN XS!! The airbox is totally different, as is the air filter!! As Tod said, it's a 30 minute job, WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!
            Jamatta,
            TRY and find some seafoam. Go to a BOAT SUPPLY SHOP and see if they carry it! Put the FULL 1 PINT CAN into the fuel tank, run it for about 5 miles, and then let it set overnight. Fire it up the next day, and ride it, including some wide open throttle runs in third gear. That should clean the carbs, and if not, THEN start to go into them.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ah, ok.

"I think it is the pilot jet because I have checked to make sure there is spark. All other pipes get hot except # 1 and I have no problems once the bike gets going and the main jet kicks in."

Ok, this should preclude the pilot circuitry! The pilots are not doing anything at idle. I think you are dealing with the idle circuits, as DGSXER was saying.

You are not fully on the mains until way up in the rpm range. Is that cylinder kicking in at 3000rpm or 6000rpm? It could still be a pilot issue, just trying to narrow things down abit!

The pilot and main jets are right in the center of the carb, almost above the fuel level when the carbs are full. Any evaporation, and there should be very little fuel in either of these circuits, maybe 1/4' at the jets themselves. Even on the side stand. I am pretty sure this was by design to keep residue and varnish to a minimum.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
              X