X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb help please 1980 XS-1100 Spcl

Help?
    I am confused.
    While looking through a parts list and parts breakdown for the carbs for my XS-1100 spcl, I noted different part numbers for the bowls.

On my XJ650 it matters due to the location of the bowl drain screws.

Am I missing something here ? ?

Stupid me? I marked the carb bodys but thought all the bowls were the same.

Also the 1/8" balls and springs for the enrichment operating rod detents is gone. Dont know if I lost them or they were never there.

I found the balls on a web site that also offers the fuel Tees for the rack(found the info fir that on this site of course!).

No info on the springs...

1 found a small spring in the garage floor, but no balls not sure if this is one of them or not?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any and all help!

George
    1980 XS1100 special
    4 to 1 Kerker exhaust
    120 mph speedo.
    1979 carbs jetted 147 mains
    47 idle

1980 XJ 650

It matters for the same reason on your 11. You have left and right bowls. Take a close look at them.

That little ball is just a 1/8" ball bearing, you may be able to find it a a hardware store, or Bikebandit. Yes, that little spring is probably for the choke rod??? Is it about 1/8" diameter??

Comment

Lets start at the Bottom!
      While looking through a parts list and parts breakdown for the carbs for my XS-1100 spcl, I noted different part numbers for the bowls.

Am I missing something here ? ?

Stupid me? I marked the carb bodys but thought all the bowls were the same.
      Just put the bowls up to the bodies, and see what direction the drain screw faces. Should be an easy "fix", as you want the "drain" pointing to the outside of the engine. You probably have two left and two right. If they ARE all four the same, no worries!
      Next question:
      Also the 1/8" balls and springs for the enrichment operating rod detents is gone. Dont know if I lost them or they were never there.
      I would keep the spring you found, and get one 1/8" ball as a replacement. Put the one set in Carb #1. I use a rount tooth pic to keep it in place while starting the rod. Don't forget to LUBE the spring and ball!! I use a synthetic grease so it is water resistant. You should coat the rod with a THIN film, so everything slides properly.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

bowl id

All the bowls have the drain screw in the middle. Actually drain plugs. Everything else looks the same. rto the untrained eye...
        1980 XS1100 special
        4 to 1 Kerker exhaust
        120 mph speedo.
        1979 carbs jetted 147 mains
        47 idle

1980 XJ 650

Comment

You have the early type carbs. All the bowls are the same. Put the nicer lookin' ones on the outside carbs. Also, make sure that small hole in the bottom of the bowl is clear. That is how the fuel enricher (choke) gets it's fuel.
          Last edited by bikerphil; 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Some 80 and 81's came with the drain plug in the middle too.

I have one set of each, both 80's.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Guys. Where do i put the ball im lost. 1979 xs special

Comment

The balls and springs go in the number 1 and number 4 carbs so that the choke lever detents catch on them. On most unmolested carbs there is no place for them on 2 and 3, although many drill a spot for them when swapping carb bodies around.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

I think this is why my choke idle is almost at 2-3k range. Thanks do i need to open up the carb or is the entry hole on the outside of the carb? sample pictures if possible? or a number on the diagram? cajun31
                  https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...38405sch233199

Comment

The spring and ball go in the small hole to the right of the idle mixture screw in the picture below.
                    The choke rod must be removed first obviously. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220416_180007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.0 KB ID:	868376
                    Last edited by bikerphil; 04-16-2022, 04:07 PM.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

bikerphil to the rescue! Thank you brother! Did you vapor blast those carbs? Looks very clean.

Comment

Did you vapor blast those carbs? Looks very clean.
                        Yep, I think they were, I bought them like that. Unfortunately the guy who rebuilt them f'd them all up. They look nice but that's about it.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

Working...
                        X