Carb Cleaning HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cleaning HELP

Hi everyone, im new to the xs11. I have a 79 special and it has been sitting up since 85. As you can guess, everything is pretty bad. Hard Lines, dirt and grime ALL over, and the CARBS wont move. I took them off and green crap came out. NO GOOD. Whats the best way to clean them up? Should i soak them in gasoline then rebuild? Thanks in advance!
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

I would spray the carbs with cleaner, and then PB Blaster. You can look at the links on the top of the page to find the thread on neglected bikes. That will probably be your best bet for now.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yeah like DiverRay says above. Remember not to soak or dip them in a carb cleaner as it can bugger up the seals on the butterflies. Do a little searching and reading, you will find loads of stuff on how to do it. You will also find pitfalls to avoid. Good luck
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

No question rebuild , rubber seals are probably dried up ready to leak. Save yourself time and head aches and buy yourself a rebuild kit along with some butterfly seals. Soak the jets ,needles and bare carb body in some strong carb cleaner for a few days .
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

kirmit77,

If you can get your hands on a sonic cleaner, do so and strip the carbs down and run them through that for about ten minutes. I didn,t pull the butterflies because the stems seamed to be fairly tight. Put all the carb parts through the cleaner.

I ran a combo of Simple Green and Dawn dishwashing soap in the cleaner I have when I put in the carbs....

I thought I had my carbs clean with aerosol cleaners. Could not imagine how much crud came out of them. Ran out of every nook and cranny.

Don't know yet if they are in working order but it sure made me feel beter about only having to do the cleaning once.

Rodger
          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
          X