No announcement yet.

Anyone with venture gas tank on an 11??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with venture gas tank on an 11??

Has anyone done this mod or hav any links to see pics of this mod?? If so, please PM me.
    80special w/79special motor.Never ride faster than your angel can fly!!

Originally posted by bigray03 View Post
    Has anyone done this mod or hav any links to see pics of this mod?? If so, please PM me.
    If I understand correctly, the Venture tank is just a larger version of the standard tank, which I think my 11 came with (after replacing my tank with another from ebay the capacity of the new tank is smaller). So now I GOTTA fix the original tank as I really really want the extra range, so I gotta get that little hole punched in the bottom brazed up.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

so I gotta get that little hole punched in the bottom brazed up
      I've used JB Weld (NOT JB Kwik Weld) to patch holes in my tank. Even bedded in a new drain tube with it. Works great.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have a complete 81 venture for sale with the big tank
        http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...all2008017.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
          I've used JB Weld (NOT JB Kwik Weld) to patch holes in my tank. Even bedded in a new drain tube with it. Works great.
          I did that and it seaps. But then I was in a hurry and it wasn't fully set before I filled it back up. I may well pull it apart again and clean it up (along with stripping the paint off for a repaint) and redo it, but I'm just a little nervous with that big thing full of gas right were it is, with the thought of it possibly leaking.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Yeah, it needs to be clean to the metal and dry, along with a good 24hrs to cure - longer if it's cold. When I drain my tank I use a piece of heater hose and siphon all I can into a 5 gallon gas can. Then I remove the tank, attach some fuel lines to the petcocks and let it drain the rest of the way through the petcocks. Somewhere around here is a thread that tells you how to tin a piece of metal with solder to patch a tank. Seems a little more involved and would probably require a repaint.
            Last edited by dbeardslee; 03-16-2009, 04:12 PM.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

JB Weld

I welded a hole right into the side of my tank (thinking I could weld in the gaps behind the emblem when smoothing out my tank). Burned a hole right thru even with my MIG on the lowest setting. I used JB Weld to patch the 1/4" hole and all seemed fine until about 6 months later. Now on that side the paint has bubbled out were the hole was. I'm going to have to sand blast all the JB out of it and weld it correctly. A friend's Dad said to hold a piece of copper behind the hole and build up the weld on top of it. Sort of a back plate since the steel won't weld to copper. I'm gonna let him do it.

I used JB Weld because of all the reviews I read about online. Now with hours of work in my paint job only to have to redo it , I am a little pissed about the JB Weld. Not that it's not wonderful stuff, I just wouldn't trust it to seal fuel.
              1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
              dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
              MikesXs 35k Coils
              8mm plug wires
              42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
              (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
              Kerker 4-into-1
              Shaved emblems
              Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
              Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
              Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
              Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
              Custom Dual Headlights
              Lots of time and hard work.

Comment

I had to fix one tank that had a few holes drilled to fix a dent. The PO tried to just putty over the holes, and the bondo just melted!
                I cleaned all the paint and old bondo off the tank, and used a propane torch to solder up the holes. It's just like putting together copper pipes, but FLAT.
                A good coat of solder, and then the bondo to make it flat, and it never leaked after that. I don't use that tank as of now, but it's still in the stable if I need it.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Had an '83 Venture, the gas tank sits down in the frame, where the battery, and air box is on an xs 11. If you are talking about an xs 11 standard, it may work, with a little modification. Later 'Dog

Comment

Venturer or Venture, the former was a full dress XS1100 the latter was a full dress V4 which came later. The Venturer was the same bike as the XS1100 Standard, the only larger tank came on the European model and only by a gal.
                    Fastmover
                    "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                    lion". SHL
                    78 XS1100e

Comment

We just don't stop learning something new every now and then. Later 'Dog

Comment

Working...
                      X