Official Call For Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Call For Help

Okay, it was silly of me to think I could EVER do something mechanical - and I'll be honest, it it really starting to aggravate me not being able to get this bike running reliably.

Anyone in the KC area know of a good mechanic or someone I can drop the bike off with, or would be willing to look at it, give it a complete once-over and figure out what all is wrong with it, so I can get a dollar estimate as to what it'll take to get it running reliably, so then I can decide if I should find someone to buy it and get something else, or go another route.

I can't keep trying to fix things and having other things break, and I'm starting to think what's wrong with the bike is me. I need someone that actually knows what they're doing to work on it, instead of me trying to do it myself.

Vince, Harry, you guys have any ideas or be willing to help again? This is so frustrating I can't even begin to describe it.
    1979 XS1100 Special

Easy dude...just take a break for a bit and think it through. No one was born knowing how to fix this stuff. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but still need lots of help form the folks on here that have been there and doen that to fix this bike.

What in particular is the issue your trying to address? There is so much knowledge on this site, that unless you have trouble with how to turn a screw or a bolt or what a torque wrench is for, you can find the info and know how here to fix about ANYTHING on these bikes.

If on the other hand, you just do not liek having to work on something and want a turn key and ride kind of bike, then yeah, a 30 YO machine is probably not for you. Truth is, once you get one thing fixed, something else will rear its head. I just got all my carbs tuned in pretty good. Went to put the seat back on, and the bolt to hold the seat down snapped. Its 30 years old, stuff gives out.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Wolfpaws

Whenever my I had a job that looked like I couldn't climb over. I remembered something my dad used to to tell me when I was a kid....

Eat the elephant one bite at a time.......

It ALWAYS worked...

Don't doubt your ability to get the job done here, on this site. And no doubt there are people who started out with less mechanical ability than you think you have. There are a hundred guys here who have been in the same place you are. There is help here that you will not find anywhere else.

I didn't need to be here long to learn that lesson.

Don't give up on yourself.

Rodger
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Sometimes a picture says it best...

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks, I did need to step away.

Right now the bike's leaking gas a LOT if the petcocks stay open and the bike's off. The petcocks themselves are NOT leaking though - the leak seems to be lower. Plus the bike isn't warming up like it should - it'll bog out and sometimes it's hard to keep it going to fully warm up. Once it finally does warm up it'll rev up really high (well 4000+) and sound like it's going to take off. If you push the choke back in at that point it'll level out and sound fine, usually. Well, now, when you push the choke back in it'll usually sputter out and die.

So, I don't know if there's a fuel line loose somewhere (doesn't look like it) - or what's going on. This is something I really don't know how to address.

Would I like a turn-key bike? I think most people would to be honest. I'd rather be riding than spending all my time fixing it. When it's not working it just frustrates me more.

Problem is, I can't afford going out and buying a newer bike. I could barely afford this one as it is. I just hope I don't have to sink a grand into it to get it back running again.
          1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

You could first try running some Seafoam fuel treatment thru it. Pour in at least half a can (overdose), run it a bit, then let it sit overnite and try it again. This might help clear up the carb pilot circuits. If this doesn't help any, it will at least help loosen the cr@p built up in the carbs so disassembling them and cleaning them will be much easier.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Everything you described sounds like you have leaking float valves. Is the gas leaking out of the air box? Where the air filter is on the back side fo the carburators? Also, open your oil fill cap and smell the oil, see if it smells like gasoline. These are all signs of leaking float valves. Now, the fix is not that hard, but it will take some work and some courage for you as far as pulling the carbs off and opening them up.

BTW, typically to start this bike, you pull the choke (actually called the enricher on these) all the way out and start it, once it revs up to 2500-3000, push it half way in (should pop in and catch half way in a detent), then let it idle until it warms up and revs up to about 2000, then the rest of the way in. If it will idle but is not quite warmed up, it may be sluggish off idle till it warms up good.

When it is running, is it blowing smoke out the exhaust? A darkish blue to black looking smoke?

Yeah, I think we all would like a turn-key bike. But I do enjoy working on mine. It is a relief to get back to a vehicle you can see all the spark plugs and even reach them without pulling wheels or even the danged engine to get to them. And once you actually get a few items corrected yourself, you will feel very good about it!!

I see Phil already posted as well. He knows more than I for sure!
              Last edited by DGXSER; 03-15-2009, 08:57 PM.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Given the age, and what I've been researching, cleaning the carbs and everything would be a good idea - while I'm in there I might as well change the oil and get all that taken care of as well just to get everything ready to go. I guess if I can get all the parts, I'll make a weekend out of it (and hopefully not make it worse!)
                1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Most of the time, all you'll need the clean these carbs, is float needles & seats, and bowl gaskets....You MAY not even need those, most would advise replacing, including me, after all they are 30 years old
                  the only other thing you'd need to buy is a couple of cans of spray carb cleaner, right of the shelf at Wal-Mart or auto parts house near you

Do you have a digital camera?
                  Do you have a photobucket acct?

the other tools, small wire brush (toothbrush sized)
                  a hand-ful of screwdrivers
                  small and large paper clips (yeah, that's what I said)
                  a safety pin

and probly the most important: patience

Good Luck, John
                  1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                  "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                  My Photo Bucket

Comment

If you haven't cleaned the carbs yet, that's definitely the place to start. The carbs on these things can cause an incredible range of problems if they aren't right. Gotta disagree on the parts you'll need. A lot of the parts inside deteriorate with time and use. The last time I rebuilt mine I did it with kits from carbkitscapital (which is owned by partsnmore). The kits came with the main and pilot jets, slide needles, mixture screws & springs, gaskets, and needles & seats. Make sure you've got the right kits. I'm not sure, but I think the carbs on the specials may be a little different than the standards.

Don't be surprised if you get the carbs right and have other issues. You just have to keep fixing stuff 'till you run out of things to fix. Luckily there's a finite amount of stuff. You will get there if you keep at it.
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

It ain't rocket science

Originally posted by Wolfpaws View Post
                      Okay, it was silly of me to think I could EVER do something mechanical - and I'll be honest, it it really starting to aggravate me not being able to get this bike running reliably. - - -This is so frustrating I can't even begin to describe it.
                      Hi Adam,
                      I learned far more about practical mechanics fixing up derelict old bikes in the evenings than I did in the day during my engineering apprenticeship. Think of your bike as a tuition device. If you plan to turn the bike from a non-runner to a going concern in a weekend you are doomed to disappointment. If you plan to do one little task at a time she'll be running before you know it.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

One key ingridient to working on the carbs, besides the PATIENCE mentioned earlier cause that is the biggest one, is make sure you use a screwdriver that fits tightly into the jets you are trying to remove. If you are not sure of the next step, come back here and ask before you move forward. As you can see, an answer is typically only minutes away!

The Jets are small and made of brass, all though it is sturdy hard brass, still brass. When I worked on mine, I had to take a metal file to one of my screwdrives and get the tip to the right size. Also, mkae sure you buy a can of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench, do not mistaken WD-40 for a good penetrating oil. You want to soak the bolts, and jets in blaster before you even try to remove them. HTH.

I get up to Indianapolis quite a bit. Marion is not that much farther. There are other members not to far form you as well.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Got the kits ordered today - I'll go pick up the other items at a local parts store, and probably get an oil filter ordered at the same time.
                          1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

I can help you. really, I can. I just need to get some free time to get up that way.

What you are describing should be fairly easy to fix, and not take that much time.

There is a possibility of me heading there after work friday, which would get me to KC about 8. We could wrench on it in to the night, and I can grab a room and work on it until about noon, when I'll have to run, due to previous commitments, namely a cambodian baby shower, which involves lots of food and booze. Maybe we can get Vince and Harry there and I'd even spring for some hot wings, or BBQ. I hear there might be a good place to get BBQ in KC, but it might be a stretch.

Just maintain, and we WILL get it running at some point. Time is the barrier. We all hate waiting, but usually it is rewarded.

Ivan
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Vacuum Advance?

Right now the bike's leaking gas a LOT if the petcocks stay open and the bike's off. The petcocks themselves are NOT leaking though - the leak seems to be lower.[/QUOTE]

I am in no position to be giving advice, but I had the leaking fuel problem when I first got my XS11. On my bike, both petcock tube feed into a T where they become one. The vacuum advance was removed and when it is removed, you have to turn off the fuel petcocks when you turn off the bike, or fuel will poor like an Irish pub on St. Patty's day.

I hope that helps.
                              Sam Christensen
                              The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
                              If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Working...
                              X