Look what I found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I found!

I finally got the XS up on a lift Thursday and pulled the carbs off. Besides the mouse droppings in the air box, this is what I found.

I couldn't see the damaged boot when I bought the bike since it's from carb #3 and the PO had used used a heat activated tape to plug the hole. It looks like the PO destroyed this guy when messing with the carbs at some point. I'm headed to a local used motorcycle parts store today to see if they have one. All of the other boots look practically new.
    '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
    '86 VF500F
    '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

That looks painful! Sounds like the mouse found a nice safe home for the winter in there though! Good luck on the replacement.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

After going to the parts store I was able to at least pick up an air filter and oil filter. I was told to call back later in the week to check if they could find a new carb boot. According to the owner, the odds are good that he can find one for me. This will give me time to start work on the smaller things. A set of pipes are going on that came off an '02 Harley Elctra Gilde, and I just got new turn signals. The grab bar will be coming off for paint as and I'll be taking the original gold finish off of the wheels. The gold headlight ring will be going in for paint as well.

Previous ride:
      '86 VF500F
      '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Whoaa...before you go paintin up the gold parts, if they are in decent shape you may want to exchange them with a member that might want the gold. Those are pretty hard to come by, and some may need them for their bikes and be more than happy to pay shipping to exchange for the silver chrome parts that are not as rare. JAT
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          Whoaa...before you go paintin up the gold parts, if they are in decent shape you may want to exchange them with a member that might want the gold. Those are pretty hard to come by, and some may need them for their bikes and be more than happy to pay shipping to exchange for the silver chrome parts that are not as rare. JAT
          NO KIDDING!!! PLEASE don't paint the gold parts!! Those MNS parts are too hard to come by!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

I never imagined that there would be any kind of demand for the gold parts. The grab bar isn't in good enough condition to trade but the wheels and headlight rim are unscathed. Do you think anyone would be interested in trading those?

Previous ride:
            '86 VF500F
            '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

I'll send you a PM, I am a GOLD digger!
              1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
              "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
              My Photo Bucket

Comment

PM replied.

Previous ride:
                '86 VF500F
                '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Working...
                X