Wire spokes..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trbig View Post
    You're right.. those things are BUTT ugly! Send all of them you find to me for shipping costs and I'll get rid of those unsightly things for you..

Tod

i usually toss them out to the scrap bin for a few coins lol

seriously.

Comment

Aesthetics

Originally posted by blackchop2 View Post
      they needed to change thier tradition first time out on those ugly mags they look like swirly flowers lol
      >
      Hi Blackchop,
      You can't see those swirly spokes when you are on the bike and nobody can see them when the bike is moving.
      When the bike is parked, if it has swirly spokes one can marvel at the skills of the long-ago foundrymen who
      discovered that when casting wheels by pouring molten iron into sand moulds that straight
      spokes snapped off due to shrinkage while cooling and that swirly spokes didn't because they could flex.
      If the parked bike has straight spokes one can marvel that modern casting techniques have made it possible to shape them that way.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

those ugly mags they look like swirly flowers
        Hmmm.. Then let's chunk those, get some weak wire spoked rims so we have to run tubes (Where we're screwed on the side of the road with a flat) and make our bikes look like a motored 10-speed bicycle. Then we can sit and look at how cool they are..maybe take an easy ride around the block since as weak as they are, that's all you can do with them... Yeah.. that's the ticket. I just never understood how with 10 gazillion Harleys for sale, you'd want to try to make an XS look like one?

BUT... that's my take. I prefer the curved "Swirly" rims any day over the straight spoked XS wheels.. they just make the looks of the bike flow better... like it's moving even when still. BUT, I would definately prefer a functional straight spoked XS wheel over a wire spoked rim since I ride mine to it's limits mechanically. I'm glad there are people out there like you though, so the rest of us can have the good functional parts... Seriously.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Style over substance

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          Hmmm.. I just never understood how with 10 gazillion Harleys for sale, you'd want to try to make an XS look like one?
          BUT... that's my take. I prefer the curved "Swirly" rims any day over the straight spoked XS wheels.. they just make the looks of the bike flow better... like it's moving even when still. BUT, I would definately prefer a functional straight spoked XS wheel over a wire spoked rim since I ride mine to it's limits mechanically. I'm glad there are people out there like you though, so the rest of us can have the good functional parts... Seriously.
          Tod
          Hi Tod,
          I gotta say, I don't give a hoot what they look like as long as the tires hold air and so yeah, cast wheels of whatever style running tubeless tires is the best way for me.
          But bikes are also a fashion statement. My own son took the perfectly functional cast wheels out of his XS650 Special and replaced them with the wire wheels from an earlier XS650 Standard,
          giving up tubeless tires and accepting a drum brake instead of a rear disk in the process "because he liked the look" of the bike that way.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I also like the looks of the swirly wheels. To each their own.
            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
            '82 XJ1100
            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

To each their own is right... I actually do like them but not for what I am doing with this bike.

I think that no matter what you do you can not make an xs into a harley or vice versa. That is not what I am trying to do, I am simply taking a frame and a motor which is basically what i bought and which their plenty of and doing my own thing with it. As stated before though I respect the purist on the board here and will make sure that nothing is thrown out. You guys will get first dibbs. As a matter of fact they are up for sale so make an offer. The front was spray painted over black before I got the bike, the rear is still gold. nothing some paint thinner or some light glass bead wont fix. Will post pics later.

PS I think I will just go with nice regular xs rims..... for now..

Comment

Working...
              X