Wire spokes..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire spokes..?

Is their a way to convert stock Yamaha rims to wire spokes rims? Has this been done or attempted? Realistically how complicated would this task be?

You mean like this...

Front is easy, XS650 hub. Rear is nigh-on impossible, you need to find a GX750 hub (only 200 made and only in Japan, NZ)..
    '84 Sport

Comment

welp thats not exactually what I wanted hear but thats ok just makes thing a bit more challenging and thats what makes bike building fun. I have been reading on this chain drive conversion (I am new to this forum) very interesting do you know if this member still works on these?

Comment

If you want a rear hub then you just camp out HERE until one turns up. I waited a year for mine to pop up in Osaka!
        '84 Sport

Comment

Thnx, it being in all Japanese is interesting but its another parts resource that I had no clue to check thnx!

Comment

Use Google's Language tools to translate the page to English. Here is the translated version.

You can just go to Google and click the Language Tools link. Then paste the URL from the japanese page into the google page, tell it what tanslation you want, and it will open a translated version.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

wire spokes

there is a rear wheel for sale right now!

cloink

I bought these for a V-max in germany, can be easily made to fit! They were made out of billet by Wiwo, a firm that no longer exists.

XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
              MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
              Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
              Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
              Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
              Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
                welp thats not exactually what I wanted hear but thats ok just makes thing a bit more challenging and thats what makes bike building fun. I have been reading on this chain drive conversion (I am new to this forum) very interesting do you know if this member still works on these?
                Hi Bear,
                a complete XS650 front wheel will plug right in. The later mega-spoke wheels will fit disks and all, the earlier (pre '77) wheels need their original 2-piece disks swapped for the later one-piece disks or for the slotted XS11 disks.
                If you are going for chain drive and can live with a drum rear brake the XS650 rear wheel can be fitted to whatever swingarm you will be using or even (although I do not condone this practice) your rigid frame conversion.
                OTOH if you are staying with a shaftie and you can't find a spoked rear hub, you can cut the hub out of a cast wheel and machine two circular registers on it to accept two welded on spoke rings so you can lace on the rim of your choice.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

o0r you could run the lester style mags . which i know where a set is at locally.

cause nothing uglier than the swirly mags yamaha had.

and yes xs650 front spoker will mate right up.

Comment

And yet - - -

Originally posted by blackchop2 View Post
                    o0r you could run the lester style mags . which i know where a set is at locally.
                    and yes xs650 front spoker will mate right up.
                    >
                    Hi Blackchop,
                    there's centuries of tradition behind casting wheels with the spokes in a swirly pattern instead of straight. Of course, it was only necessary for cast iron wheels, but still, a tradition. And besides, some folks actually like that look. There's even those who have retrofitted swirly mags to bikes that came with straight ones.
                    So Bear, if you have swirly mags, don't just toss them. Betcha they are tradeable for something you might need.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

new idea ??? is it possible?

has anyone tried milling out the alloy from between the "spokes" on a stock alloy wheel - one would finish up with a 14 "spoke" wheel.
                      is this stupid??!!
                      Bryan H

"Conan, what's best in life?"
                      "To crush your enemies, drive them before you and the lamentation of their women"

Comment

You're right.. those things are BUTT ugly! Send all of them you find to me for shipping costs and I'll get rid of those unsightly things for you..

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

And... I wonder how many bike owners you just dissed...
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Judgement call

Originally posted by aussixs11G View Post
                            has anyone tried milling out the alloy from between the "spokes" on a stock alloy wheel - one would finish up with a 14 "spoke" wheel.
                            is this stupid??!!
                            >
                            Hi Bryan,
                            well, it's certainly not difficult to do just that with a computer-controlled milling machine. It'd take an hour or so to write the program plus a half-hour per wheel in the mill.
                            One sees this done on those "Build an abortion" bike shows where blank solid disc wheels are computer milled into custom patterns.
                            So yes, it can be done. You will be removing strength to achieve style.
                            Is that stupid? It's not for me to say. Although perhaps it's more suited to a Harley?
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              >
                              Hi Blackchop,
                              there's centuries of tradition behind casting wheels with the spokes in a swirly pattern instead of straight. Of course, it was only necessary for cast iron wheels, but still, a tradition. And besides, some folks actually like that look. There's even those who have retrofitted swirly mags to bikes that came with straight ones.
                              So Bear, if you have swirly mags, don't just toss them. Betcha they are tradeable for something you might need.

they needed to change thier tradition first time out on those ugly mags they look like swirly flowers lol

Comment

Working...
                              X