Cranks but won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranks but won't start

So I'm just downright irritated. I got back from Korea about a month and a half ago and have been dying to take out one (or both) of the XJs. Both my brother-in-law and mother's boyfriend think the brakes on the Dark Knight need looked at, so rather than try and fiddle with it, I settled on Outrider.

Now, she'd been sitting for about two months with no attention (probably a little longer), so she was good and dead. She had just had her carbs removed and cleaned before that, though. I charged her up good and tried to start her. Crank crank crank, but no start. Tried draining the fuel from the float bowls and then letting in fresh from the tank. Crank crank crank, but still no start!

I'm not a mechanical wizard, and I'm freaking tired of missing out on all this nice riding weather we've been having in my area! Suggestions? I'm about to buy a WestCo replacement battery and attempt to do the Honda VF1000 ignition coil upgrade, but I'd at least like to get her running before that. Help!

P.S. Dark Knight won't start either.
    "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Originally posted by FSCGunslinger View Post
    I'm about to buy a WestCo replacement battery...
    SVR 18 is what's coming up on their site currently. This is maintenance free, right? I'm so clueless!

Originally posted by FSCGunslinger View Post
    and attempt to do the Honda VF1000 ignition coil upgrade...
    Not sure if anyone's seen this one on here, so I thought I'd link everyone. Does this one look easier or harder than the MikesXS High Output coils mod? Would it perform better or worse?
    "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

Do you currently have spark?
      Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
      1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
      23mm float height
      120 main jets
      42.5 pilot jets
      drilled stock airbox with K&N
      Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
      spade fusebox
      1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Originally posted by XSPastor View Post
        Do you currently have spark?
        I'm not actually home right now (no regular internet while I'm at home on the weekends), but I'd be happy to check if you'd be so kind as to tell me how...

Comment

"Hey Sparky!"

Pull all the spark plugs.
          Place them back into the spark plug caps and lay the plugs against the head.(Keep them away from the spark plug hole. You don't want to singe your eyebrows off if they spark and ignite a blast of fuel mixture shooting out of the cylinders)
          Crank the engine and see if all the plugs spark.
          Also... what do the spark plugs look like? Yes, we all know what spark plugs look like... but are they fouled? Wet? Black carbon-y, sooty looking?
          Replace them if needed.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Roger Roger! I know what I'm doing as soon as I get home on Friday evening! Thanks Prom! I'll be sure to get back to everyone (but I'm open to continued suggestions so I can try them all at once).

Comment

Common problem. Trying to start a bike after it's sat for many months.
              The first thing everybody tries to do is crank the piss out of it.
              Now... the fuel sitting in the carb bowls all this time has lost quite a bit of it's "oomph" and isn't really very "fireable".
              Ok, so now... with all the cranking, the plugs are wet with all this fuel that didn't want to burn.
              T'was a good idea to drain the float bowls and let fresh fuel into the carbs... but as the plugs are already wet and fouled, they still won't spark and ignite the good stuff.
              Both bike won't start, huh?
              No kidding.
              If they were running fine before... throw in new plugs and try again. Often, that's all it takes.

Comment

That's the problem with internet engine diagnosis...
                I'm open to continued suggestions so I can try them all at once.
                I could spent several hours typing... outlining step by step every little thing that it could be... maybe twenty different things... only to find out that the problem was cured by doing the first and simpliest step.
                I don't like anybody that much... to type endlessly when it's not needed.

(Yeah yeah, I know... I don't much like anybody anyway... Ya get that way when ya get older, I suppose)

Make sure the battery's strong, put in fresh plugs and fuel...and she'll fire.

Comment

I hate to keep on with this stuff, but I haven't found anything quite like it. My generator had old gas in it and would not start a few weeks ago. I put fresh gas in it.. and still had @ a half can of Sea Foam.. so I threw it in with the gas also. I pulled and pulled trying to start it until I was tired.. then made my kid do the same... then tried again myself. It had spark, but apparently the carbs had gummed up a bit. So I walked off and left it alone.

Next day.. decided I'd give it a go again.. and it fired right up on the 2nd pull. Apparently the Sea Foam had done it's job and cleaned things up after the fresh gas had gotten into the carbs from trying to start it the day before.

This may be worth a try... can't hurt.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

See, this is why I love this place! Post a problem, and if there's an answer to it you should have it inside a day! Thanks guys! I'll be sure to try those in some sort of logical order.

Comment

try instant start

Hi, a good method to help start bikes sitting awhile, is get a can of spray instant start, a couple of bucks in the auto parts stores,or Walmart.,spray in the air intake and it really helps to get the engine to turn over and create the quick vacuum needed to get the carbs, gas going strong. I use it on all bikes, 2 and 4 stroke, that are stubborn, and I know the basics are working-spark, gas, timing. If you are really motivated, pop out a spark plug or two, and spray the instant start in the hole and quickly reinsert the plug and crank over. Also, hookup to another battery if yours is not up to full capacity. I use my car and hook up with jumpers. I know some members say this is a no no, but it has worked on all my bikes from 250-1100cc with no problems. So, instant start a couple of times and pray.....good luck, Mike in Sun Diego
                      mike
                      1982 xj1100 maxim
                      1981 venture bagger
                      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                      1959 wife

Comment

It sounds like your bike is upset with you..

Did you think about it when you were gone? Did you bring a small gift home from your travels for it? Did you miss it?

I get the same treatment form my wife if I come back from a long trip without the right answers or gifts in my bag!

It just needs a little attention from you to feel loved again
                        '84 Sport

Comment

Make certain that the petcocks were not leaking while it/they sat. Sumbitch might be full of gas. Pull the oil fill plug and give it a sniff. Check the level thru the window.
                          XS1100SF
                          XS1100F

Comment

So were you able to get at least one going yet?
                            '07 Virago
                            '80 XS11G
                            '78 XS11E
                            '97 Grand Prix GTP
                            '99 Grand Prix GT

Comment

For checking spark, there are a lot of ways to do it, but the easiest is to go down to an Auto Zone/Schmuck's/Generic Auto Parts store and pick up a cheap spark plug light. It goes in-line between the plug wire and the plug and lights up every time the plug fires. It's not full-proof, but it is a lot easier to see that the spark jump the gap. A cheap and convenient tool to have.
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X