Look What I Found !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look What I Found !!!

When I bought the '81 XS1100SH last Jan...a host of parts and things came with the bike.One of which was the Clymer svc.manual.Dont know how I overlooked this...but tonite when thumbing thru the Clymer I found this folded in the back...

I went to the section here that has the ad brochures and this one is not amongst them.Therfore if TC wants to add this it would be my pleasure to permit its inclusion...I wonder if its worth anything?Many times things made of paper(Ephemera) do not last making them scarce and perhaps valuable.At any rate I'll not part with it.I am thinking to preserve it encapsulated in plastic.
    Last edited by Ken Talbot; 12-04-2008, 11:29 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

4.2 quarts oil tank capacity? I've been going with the 3.7 quarts like the service manual says with filter change for my SG, do I need to add oil? I don't have an oil cooler and the SG in the ad doesn't look like it has one either. Which one is right?
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
      4.2 quarts oil tank capacity? I've been going with the 3.7 quarts like the service manual says with filter change for my SG, do I need to add oil? I don't have an oil cooler and the SG in the ad doesn't look like it has one either. Which one is right?
      You got me there... But I think I'd go with the svc manualThe statement at the bottom of that brochure essentially says the specs are subject to change.
      Last edited by madmax-im; 12-04-2008, 11:15 PM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I am thinking to preserve it encapsulated in plastic
        With all the great imaging technology out there, you may want to make some high quality copies before you laminate it. That way you can save the original and post the copies in the man cave. JAT
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Looking at those pics and some of the promo picks for the SF, I notice that they don't install the mirrors for the pics. I guess with the bike being that fast at the time, you didn't need to see where you'd been.
          Ernie
          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Originally posted by egsols View Post
            Looking at those pics and some of the promo picks for the SF, I notice that they don't install the mirrors for the pics. I guess with the bike being that fast at the time, you didn't need to see where you'd been.
            1st pic has 'em as thats a road shot...but the others are in the studio
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

That is nice to have good find
              http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...all2008017.jpg

Comment

I was reading the ad and noticed it said Tail light and Brake warning light???

I don't mean to ask a stupid question but Brake Warning Light????

I thought the tail light light was for a non working bulb? Am I wrong?
                Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Originally posted by ccogswel View Post
                  I was reading the ad and noticed it said Tail light and Brake warning light???

I don't mean to ask a stupid question but Brake Warning Light????

I thought the tail light light was for a non working bulb? Am I wrong?
                  Well dont quote me here but I think the're talking about burned out bulbs.Not sure if they are talking about a dual filament bulb where the taillight is on all the time and then when the brakes are applied the higher filament kicks in.They could mean tailight/brakelight as one in the same...not clear on this....also remember that alot of times the info in a brochure isnt always correct and is"subject to change"JAT
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Time Travel

Wow, I knew our bikes were fast, but fast enough to time travel?
                    That is one mad maxim there that can go from april of next year back 5 months.

Sorry, couldn't pass that up. Seriously, that is really cool. I read it as well and found out new things that separate the 70's specials from the 80's specials. Awsome find.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

That's what I thought the light was for. It's just when it said warning light I thought maybe that on some models they could warn you of air in the lines or other brake problems.

I guess that was their way to get a little more attention for the bike. Like they needed to say more.

The ad should have said "Come and Ride One to Find out What Life is All About"
                      That's all they would have to say. The bike would speak for itself.
                      Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                      87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                      93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                      71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                      69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

bulb warning lite

Don't know 'bout the 80-81's, but the 79 Special's bulb warning lite is shared with the oil pressure light. So, if the bulb burns out, you tend to freak out thinking that you suddenly lost oil pressure.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

On my '82 there is the computer check on the dash panel shows the following...also noted that the taillight is a running light.The brake light is brighter thus the bulb is dual filament..on my '81 Special I do believe the oil light shares its function as aa brake warning as well.
                          Last edited by madmax-im; 12-06-2008, 10:38 AM.
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                            Wow, I knew our bikes were fast, but fast enough to time travel?
                            That is one mad maxim there that can go from april of next year back 5 months.

Sorry, couldn't pass that up. Seriously, that is really cool. I read it as well and found out new things that separate the 70's specials from the 80's specials. Awsome find.
                            Huh?..it took me a while to figure out what you were talkin' about...yeah I noticed the time stamp was in error...after the fact...LOL
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Oil Pressure Light!!

I might be wrong but im of the opinion that none of the XS11s have an oil pressure light. On my XJ11 it is just an oil LEVEL sensor a styrfoam float that told you how much oil or if the oil was low and they tend to stick a lot as it would say i was low all the time when the oil was fine. Now i know that Randy has installed a true oil pressure gauge on his XS. So i think the oil light comming on at least on the XJ ( if you are full of oil ) can be ignored.
                              Just my opinion,i wait to be corrected
                              Doug
                              Last edited by mitch; 12-06-2008, 12:32 PM. Reason: Pure stupidity
                              Doug Mitchell
                              82 XJ1100 sold
                              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
                              X