Fuse trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of Fun

Sounds like it could be . Replace them to be sure . I've heard of similiar type problems where the wires were mashed in the clamp to the handlebars . Red/white wires are the ignition circuit of which the "kill" switch is a part .
    I dont know whether you can get away with shortening them but you could run a jumper wire between them to test . Of course you need your kill switch so a "stock" type repair here may avert grief down the road .
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
    Progressive fork springs
    CIBIE headlight reflector
    YICS Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by Axel View Post
      I dont know whether you can get away with shortening them but you could run a jumper wire between them to test . Of course you need your kill switch so a "stock" type repair here may avert grief down the road .
      I dont understand what you mean

Comment

Don't forget to clean the terminal at the starter motor itself. After cleaning all my connections and overlooking that one, sure enough it failed and left me stuck away from home. Had to bump start the bike to get it home.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

ok, but the bike still, at random intervals, drops in rpm then eventually dies. This happens hand in hand with starter either not working at all, or just turning on for half a second then stopping.

Comment

Just in case

I was wondering if you could replace the crimped wires . The test was about bypassing the crimp to see if that was your trouble spot .
            If you had lots of extra wire at the point of the crimp(smashed area) maybe you could cut them off before the crimp and reattach them .
            Last edited by Axel; 11-22-2008, 08:55 PM.
            XJ1100K
            Avon rubber
            MikesXS black coils
            Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
            MikesXS front master
            Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
            Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
            Progressive fork springs
            CIBIE headlight reflector
            YICS Eliminator

Comment

Now that your electrical system is functioning better, sounds like maybe a fuel problem? Restriction such as kinked fuel lines and plugged vent cap could cause the engine to cut out.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I just put all new gas lines in, and new vacuum lines too. (the problem was happening before I put these in) What would the gas have to do with the starter not working?

I think I may have fixed it....previously when I took the housing apart, I didnt go as far as to open up the on/off switch. This time I did, and the little brass piece, springs, contact points for the brass piece, and center post were very corroded and dirty. I took the dremmel w/wire brush and now they are sparkling. So far, no problems... I am still going to replace those bent wires though, they look bad.

So I went to put her on the center stand, and the freaking thing folded under itself!! It went past the point that it holds the bike at, and folded all the way to the front. Is this possible in it's range of motion or is something bent? I was to tired to investigate. Im going to bed

Comment

The stand itself is very strong and doesn't often bend. More likely something has cracked where the mounts attach to the frame.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by adam79 View Post
                    I just put all new gas lines in, and new vacuum lines too. (the problem was happening before I put these in) What would the gas have to do with the starter not working?

I think I may have fixed it....previously when I took the housing apart, I didnt go as far as to open up the on/off switch. This time I did, and the little brass piece, springs, contact points for the brass piece, and center post were very corroded and dirty. I took the dremmel w/wire brush and now they are sparkling. So far, no problems... I am still going to replace those bent wires though, they look bad.

So I went to put her on the center stand, and the freaking thing folded under itself!! It went past the point that it holds the bike at, and folded all the way to the front. Is this possible in it's range of motion or is something bent? I was to tired to investigate. Im going to bed
                    Hi Adam,
                    my '80 does have a separate main fuse but the '79 don't, sorry for the bad advice. A lot of non-start or bad running IS a bad octopus valve but from what you say, your killswitch needed cleaning.
                    The folding centrestand could (hopefully) be the stand itself has broken. If so it can be removed, repaired and replaced or (worst case) the stand mounts have collapsed because the frame tubes are rusted through. Simple enough to repair by welding some new steel in there but you will need to pull the motor to get at the frame.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                    X