Tire sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire sizes

Hey guys I like the z rated tires... is there a z rated tire out there that will fit the stock 19" front wheel of our beloved xs? without dragging the fender bolts?
    Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

Why Z rated?

H rated tires are specified for most, if not all, XS'es but V rated tires are available which should be good for well past the top speed of our machines.

I have been running Metzler Lasertec tubeless 110/90V-19 on front and 130/90/V-16. Compound is a bit soft but they are prety sticky on the roads. I usually use 2-3 rears for every front but then, I have this right hand twisting problem thingy.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

new tires

Hey Scap, the rear Radial tire that you will use will improve the handling of your 11 by leaps and bounds.As for the front I don't see why a radial tire can't be found for the stock 19" rim ..BTW, Did you go 170 or 180 for your rear rim?
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Radials?

Hey XSChop,
        Can we run radials on these bikes eventhough they call for bias ply tires in the specs?
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
          Hey XSChop,
          Can we run radials on these bikes eventhough they call for bias ply tires in the specs?
          It has always been my understanding that our rims cannot take radial tires,without switching them out..YMMV
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

radials

I am not positive about the stock front 19" XS rim able to take a radial. Scappod converted to chaindrive and has a wider rear rim which will greatly improve handling, tire choices....
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

rear tire/radials

The rear tire I have on right now is a 170/60/zr17 I can go 180 and i got the go ahead from a GOOD mechanic to run the road attack 110/80/z19 for the front so it should be much better

Comment

better tread

good choice.....go with it, and let us know how she handles with the new meats.
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

z rated tires

I will give you all a ride report as soon as I get her back in the streets. Man does that rear tire look mean...

Comment

The Shaft

How do you get a 170 size rear tire to fit without hitting the shaft drive?
                    Second Star To The Right...And Straight On Till Morning

Comment

Radials vs bias-ply

on a sidecar rig there's just 2 things needed in a tire:-
                      That it holds air.
                      That it has some tread on it.
                      But I have other bikes that I ride solo and may need to know this.
                      Is there a difference in the rim configuration that won't allow a radial tire to fit on a rim designed for a bias ply tire or vice versa?
                      Are there differences in handling characteristics between the two styles of tire that could prove hazardous?
                      Buddy rides a 1200 Kawi that came with radials from the factory and they wore away so quick that he replaced them with bias ply tires that have now got two riding seasons on them. And he ain't fell off yet.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Science Guy View Post
                        How do you get a 170 size rear tire to fit without hitting the shaft drive?
                        Convert it to chain drive. A 130 or perhaps a 140, if you're lucky, is the biggest you're gonna fit on these 11's.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Trying not to have a "Biased" opinion!

Hey Fred,

A quick search for "radial tires" revealed 25 threads, but this one has several replies from several very knowledgable folks and I value and respect their opinions on this! And there's also Pggg's comments!

Radial Tire Thread

From what I've read and seen, the Dunlop Elite III's are very close to a radial design/pattern, but also come in Bias Ply format for older bikes/rims!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

170 rear tire

It's easy to use a 170 rear tire when you use chops chain drive conversion. Oh and I found a road attack radial 110 80 19 that works and looks rally cool

Comment

Working...
                            X