Winter Phenomena?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold weather lube

I use Rem Oil for about everything that needs lubing. I figure if it keeps my 12 guage autoloader running when it's 5 degrees out and the snow is blowing sideways and piling up in the ejection and the loading ports, it's hard to beat. Used it on my outboard linkage the same day with no problems. It has Teflon in it and that might be part of the reason it works so well. Just my .02 worth.
    1979XS1100SF
    K&N's and drilled airbox
    Jardine 4in1
    Dunlop Elite 3's
    JBM slide diaphragms
    142.5 main jets
    45 pilot jets
    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
    750/850 FD mod.
    XV 920 Needle Mod.
    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
      Hi Madmax,
      my clutch & throttle cables were on the bike when I got it and could well be the originals. Like the rest of the bike, the cables were in sorry shape. I cannot prove the PO had parked the bike in a swamp but it sure looked like it. Whatever, aerosols of penetrating oil followed by Lubriplate white grease freed the cables OK but they were still stiff to operate when re-installed, the throttle just crept closed instead of slamming shut and the clutch gave my hand a real work-out. What I did then was to re-route them from being strapped to the frame in tight bends to running in big swoopy curves in free air. Function before looks, right? Now those very same cables let the throttle slam shut and the clutch effort is half what it was. IMHO, re-routing is the key.
      Fred this bike was and is pristine...I was totally astounded by how well the original owner has kept this.Everything that had wear on it was replaced including the cables.Heres apic to convey just what I mean. The total mileage is still under 12,000 miles!
      Last edited by madmax-im; 11-12-2008, 06:01 PM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Toolmaker Tim View Post
        I use Rem Oil for about everything that needs lubing. I figure if it keeps my 12 guage autoloader running when it's 5 degrees out and the snow is blowing sideways and piling up in the ejection and the loading ports, it's hard to beat. Used it on my outboard linkage the same day with no problems. It has Teflon in it and that might be part of the reason it works so well. Just my .02 worth.
        thanks Tim could you be more specific about what Rem oil is?Is that a name brand or type of oil? Do you mean Remington?
        Last edited by madmax-im; 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Fred this bike was and is pristine...I was totally astounded by how well the original owner has kept this.Everything that had wear on it was replaced including the cables.Heres apic to convey just what I mean. The total mileage is still under 12,000 miles!
          Interesting bike. Looks good and clean. Part special, part standard. 12k miles is amazing!
          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
          23mm float height
          120 main jets
          42.5 pilot jets
          drilled stock airbox with K&N
          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
          spade fusebox
          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Rem Oil

Ben, yes it is made by Remington. I usually get it from Walmart or Meijers in their sporting goods section.Get the spray, it's with the gun cleaning stuff. I have heard it is pretty popular with our troops over in the big sandbox. It doesn't clump up like Breakfree CLP does.
            Last edited by Toolmaker Tim; 11-13-2008, 04:11 AM. Reason: forgot imformation
            1979XS1100SF
            K&N's and drilled airbox
            Jardine 4in1
            Dunlop Elite 3's
            JBM slide diaphragms
            142.5 main jets
            45 pilot jets
            T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
            750/850 FD mod.
            XV 920 Needle Mod.
            Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
            Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Originally posted by XSPastor View Post
              Interesting bike. Looks good and clean. Part special, part standard. 12k miles is amazing!
              Thanks Tim...I bought this from the original owner he was meticulous in taking care of this bike.I bought off e-bay and the pic he had in the ad did not do it justice...I had to drive a total trip of 1100 miles to Toledo OH and back.When I got there to see the bike,my jaw dropped to the floor...so to say.I did have it up forsale but after no takers..I decided its a keeper.Kinda glad in a way that its still mine,but being out of work with no income made me put it up on the block.

Originally posted by Toolmaker Tim View Post
              Ben, yes it is made by Remington. I usually get it from Walmart or Meijers in their sporting goods section.Get the spray, it's with the gun cleaning stuff. I have heard it is pretty popular with our troops over in the big sandbox. It doesn't clump up like Breakfree CLP does.
              Ok Tim(2) Kinda what I thought...I'm sure if its in Walmart it wont be expensive at allSo all in all I have several suggestions on lubes and I Thankyou all for them
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
              X