FJ 1100 motor into XS11 frame ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FJ 1100 motor into XS11 frame ?

Anyone out there know if a FJ 1100 motor would slide into the XS11 frame ? Thanks in advance from poorboysmc

don't know about that but i'd love to import a xjr13 motor. i am sure it'd fit... or just a whole xjr1300 they are sooo awesome! i am jealous we don't get them here!!
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

Comment

I had posted that it would work... but thought you said XJ.. lol. Sorry.
      Tod
      Last edited by trbig; 11-07-2008, 07:06 AM.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Fj Motors

I actually looked into it before and it will fit. However you will have to reweld FJ mount locations to the frame and #2 and #3 exhaust pipes will need to be massaged some to clear the XS11's front down-tubes or you can build a single down-tube on the XS frame....Member Selfmade is on that route now.......
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock
        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

thanks for the info. looking to do something a little different for next years dirtbagchallenge.com

Comment

And... more parts would have to be changed since the FJ is a CHAIN drive.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Fjx

would be a whole new model
              and be perfect for the FJ carb swap....
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                And... more parts would have to be changed since the FJ is a CHAIN drive.
                Lessee now,
                a few frame mods to fit the FJ motor anna back wheel with a sprocket on it? Seems like less work than doing the usual XS11 chain drive conversion.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

"Seems like less work than doing the usual XS11 chain drive conversion."

???? Everything is the same that you'd need to change, except that with one, you'd change out a middle drive, and the other, you'd change a whole engine? Yeah, seems easier to me, Fred?? lol.

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

How bout an XS motor in an FJ

This is an interesting thread which got me to thinking. I have had FJ's for the last 10 years and really love how they handle. Yes there is some buzzing in the handlebars. The answer of course is to have both an FJ and an XS. There are a lot of bare bones FJ's out there that have been stripped for there engine and trans to be used in Legend Cars. I think an interesting swap would be an XS engine with Chops chain conversion into an FJ frame.
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by LVTom View Post
                      This is an interesting thread which got me to thinking. I have had FJ's for the last 10 years and really love how they handle. Yes there is some buzzing in the handlebars. The answer of course is to have both an FJ and an XS. There are a lot of bare bones FJ's out there that have been stripped for there engine and trans to be used in Legend Cars. I think an interesting swap would be an XS engine with Chops chain conversion into an FJ frame.
                      IIRC the last 2 years of FJ production Yamaha improved the engine mounts thus dampening the vibes thru the hanldbars and grips.They were definitely a fun machine
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm

Wildkat and I were just discussing this topic, and she has decided that she would be willing to retire that *@%$( FJ 1100 of hers, and donate the engine and any other needed pieces to the XS gods. We have a rolling MNS frame and we have a wire welder, so relocating some engine support brackets shouldn't be a big deal to do, but sourcing a swing arm that is a dual shock setup may be difficult. Any ideas? Would something from an other make of bike possibly fit? We would probably need to use the wheel/rotor/spacer setup from the donor swing arm to keep things aligned. I know sprocket alignment will need to be addressed with shimming of some sort.
                        As far as the ignition system, just swap the entire FJ ignition system into the harness, and remove the unneeded XS wiring. Easy enough.
                        We would probably go with pod filters, because the intake bell of the FJ is larger than the XS, and may not fit into the intake tubes of the airbox.
                        Any thoughts?

Comment

I think it would be less work to add normal handle bars, seating and foot pegs to a FJ1100 than to put a FJ engine in an XS frame.

Geezer
                          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

fj into xs frame

geezer would be right in saying that it will be some work, however if you are sick off working on the FJ because of all it's crowded framing, the XS frame would be the ticket......No one can argue that the XS frame and motor are hard to work on.......ok,ok....excluding the nasty headache of an airbox.....I say do it John....As for swingarm, try a KZ1000 swingarm since they are cheap and will fit into the XS frame and can be adapted to the xs pivot bolts with some work....Heck, send me one and I will mock it up over the winter to a bare frame I have. That design will allow for a 2-piece adapter set, which is even better....sounds like fun.....In exchange, I get to ride the final product
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Originally posted by xschop View Post
                              geezer would be right in saying that it will be some work, however if you are sick off working on the FJ because of all it's crowded framing, the XS frame would be the ticket......
                              I serviced and worked on a bunch of FJ1100s back when they were new and never found them hard to work on other than removing the body work which I'd like to eliminate all together. I'd like to set one up like an XJR series bike that wasn't sold here in the USA.

The one thing I found hard to do on a FJ1100 was not blowing away the national speed limit. Having wound one out all the way in 4th, I can say these bikes are one fastassedsonofabitch.
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X