Dunlop Elite 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop Elite 2

Anybody know where I can get a Dunlop Elite 2 130/90H-17?
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...p-Cruiser.aspx

There is a $5 fee extra per tire... but free shipping.

BUT... my question is why?? For almost the same price, you can get an Elite 3 which is a much better tire.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I've got an Elite 2 on it now and like how long it lasted. An Elite 3 is better in what way, last longer, stickyer in the corners or what? I don't do the twisties so I'm looking at longer milage.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I'm sure they are out there, but I have never met or rode with anyone that is as hard on a tire as I am. I don't get down and drag pegs in the rain, but it has never slipped or hydroplaned on me. In the dry, I get down nearly to peg scraping daily.. but I do scrape pegs fairly regularly. I have even had it over far enough to fold up the pegs, smash my foot between it and the bike, and scrape the screws on my heat shield behind the collector.. and never a slip.

I now have over 13 thousand miles on this back tire with probably several thousand left in it and enough tread on it to probably get me through the winter to spring time.. I ride daily rain/shine. So... even if only looking at the mileage side of things, this tire has gone DOUBLE the miles of any tire I have used. The next best was the Avon Venom with 7k miles. The performance side is merely a plus.

I'm really not meaning to turn this into another big tire debate thread, and I don't work for the company or have any invested interest, but I don't mind telling people how something worked for me.. especially when it's put to as hard a workout as I have given it and gotten great results.

As they say... your mileage may vary... but most will get more miles out of one than me. Yadada (Randy) came to Talihina rally last year with an Elite 3 that had 14k on it and it still looked NEW! Mine is due to be changed by that point probably.. so that tells you the differences that can be had with different riding styles. If anyone else has a tire that they can get more miles out of than this..(Besides a car tire.. which I would probably try if there was one that would fit) I hope they post so I can try it.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

Elite III

These are a dual compound tire with harder rubber in the center and softer on the outside. Better in the twisties and much harder in the center for mileage and less flattening in the center.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Thanks guys! I didn't want to buy a tire not knowing what I was getting. I didn't see the Elite 3 for my size 17". I keep looking.
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Hmmmm...

May have teased you about the Elite 3 unintentionally. I don't show a listing anywhere.. even on Dunlop's website for one that size in either Bias ply or radial?!?

Sorry.

Tod

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

Dunlop probably found out how long they lasted...
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I have run the Elites for many years and always liked them,the front tire would cup a bit but always got good mileage and good handeling or so I thought.Went to get new tires two months ago,sizes are now limited and only in raised white letter acording to dealer...so I switched to the Metzler 880 Marathon and only have about 1200 miles on them....handles soo much better,better convidence in the corners...,really like the netural ride on them on rain grooves etc.I have read that you should maintain max air pessure at all times. The Venture group reports that they have had some chunking out of them.
                  I really like them over the Elites but can't report on long term mileage yet.
                  Choose but choose wisely:-)
                  '80 XS1100 SG
                  Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't turn this into another tire preference thread. The question was about mileage. If you are simply wanting to make a tire statement, there are NUMEROUS other threads to do so in...

I didn't see the E-3 listed in the size red bandit needed.. but be assured that there are still blackwall E-3's available in the sizes they list.

Tod

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

TRBIG.. just trying to give a simple reply and not a tire preference...been thru many touring elites but by my dealer said the sizes are now limited and in raised white letters and he may not find his size or preference. Understand that my coments came across the wrong way..sorry..from my old recollection the best mileage I got was from the original Bridgestones that came from the factory..some where around the 13,000 mark,lots of cupping on the front tire. Not trying to start a debate just a conversation on my experience so far.
                      '80 XS1100 SG
                      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Dunlop Elite II mileage report!

Hey Bandit,

I,too, run the Elite II, put a new one on in 2002, had 14K on the new replacement speedo, now have 23K, that's 9K on it....I know, pathetic for 6 years, but I only ride for fun, not a daily commuter! I still have 0.15" or about 3.5mm of tread depth left. Folks will say that I should replace it due to it's AGE vs. the mileage, but it still grabs and handles fine.

Yep, the official Dunlop catalog doesn't show your standard 17" size for an Elite III, so you're "stuck" with the Elite II. Check out the LINKS forum, there's a TIRE thread with many links to online shops for tires, you should be able to find it amongst them!

Since I have a Special with the 16" rear, I'll probably go to the ELITE III next time..depending on what price I can get for it vs. the Elite II in the same size!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC..

Sounds like you just need to go with what's cheapest! If you get one that only gets 5k miles... you may get to a point where the age AND the tread deem it time to replace!

1500 miles a year?? So... do you have to re-clean the carbs every ride, or do you "winterize" the bike after every time? Do you take a refresher course before each ride? If you change your oil... can you ship it to me since it isn't hurt any? Does the grease on your final drive resemble dried cake icing? Do you have to dust off cobwebs and check for rat nests before you can start it? When you check the view in the side view mirrors... do you look a little older each time you get on the bike? Do you ever change your air filter due to dry rot? Do you have to get re-acquainted with the controls each time?

And finally...

Why are you here when you'd fit in with the Harley crowd so well?!?

1500 miles a year.... Man.. Might as well tell someone you've rode a Vespa or something before!

Tod

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

I LUV You Too, MAN!

Thanks Tod!

Well, when I was young my 11 was my only transpo, just got out of the Navy, had a 35 mile one way commute to work, over a nice steel grated bridge, mixture of city and highway, did that for almost 2 years, rain, sleet, rare snow, blistering 100+ summer days, etc.! Back then we didn't have the fine garment technology we have now, took me about a 1/2 hour to suit up and back out just to get to work and back in the winter.

Then sweating to death in my full leathers in the summer, just got OLD, the experience as well as ME. The Novelty soon wore off. I had been riding since I was 17, was then 28 when I was able to afford a steady cage ride. I still rode the 11 often, taking LDR's to Ft. Benning, Ga. to see my half-bro graduate from jump school, etc.! Rode it more in more comfortable weather of spring and fall, until the trans went out in '92. Parked it for 8 years until the "NET" arrived and I found the Dremmel fix, etc. Had to do a rebuild almost frame up, including the little big bore.

As we all know, parts are not as available as used to be, as well as $$, and so after resurrecting it, I ride it mostly for rally trips and the occasional fun weekend jaunt, preserving it's innards from IMHO unnecessary routine commuter mileage, keeping it fresher and stronger for the "FUN" rides. Due to my physical condition..back/neck surgeries, and SWMBO's concerns, I usually trailer it the many hundreds of miles to the rally locations, although I did ride it to the Poconos and back this year! This allows me to be Fresher for the rigors of the Rally and not already be saddlesore and dragged out, I get to eat/drink/listen to tunes while on the superslab, and can cover many hundreds of miles more quickly/easily when trailering, and can bring my support gear, tools, parts, luggage, etc.!

Believe it or not, I drive my cage in a similar way that I ride my 11, very AWARE of my surroundings and the actions of others, etc.! Fortunately my previous 75K+ miles riding experience is fairly engrained into my memory and so when I get on Godzilla, it seems just like yesterday that I was riding it!

But yeah, I may need to rethink the style/brand/composition of my next tire purchase perhaps to an even stickier compound so that I can have bragging rights about actually being able to WEAR one out before it DRY ROTS!

PS, SEAFOAM is my friend, along with a garage, Indy Filters, Spin-on oil filter adapter, etc.!
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I went in to get my EliteII replace the beginning of this year. The tire shop suggested the Dunlop D404 as a replacement. Rides nice, corners great, tread looks just like the EliteII. Have not had it on long enough to see how it wears.
                              DZ
                              Vyger, 'F'
                              "The Special", 'SF'
                              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                              X