rim and tire set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rim and tire set

I know a 140 tire will fit on the back and the concensus is that is the largest that can be mounted. Now my question is; is that the largest tire for the stock rim or does the drive shaft tube prevent bigger tires? I am wondering.

I have a 140/90-16 on my bike. You can pretty much just get a matchbook cover between the driveshaft and the tire.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

i see that avon roadriders come in a 150/80-16 for the rear. I understand that it will not clear the driveshaft tube as it is, but i could notch the tube to fit. Also in conjunction with notching the tube i am doing away with the whole swingarm anyways. For what it is worth the rear rim is 3.50 in. wide
      Last edited by selfmade; 10-18-2008, 04:49 PM.

Comment

rasputin,
        is that the driveshaft or the driveshaft tube?

Comment

Hey there Self,

The 17" rear rim is 2.5" wide, the 16" is 3.0" wide, so depends on which rim you use, but yes, the driveshaft housing is the main limiting factor, but I think I remember seeing on the tire sites about needing a wider rim for some of the wider tire profiles vs. what we currently have!
          T.C.

PS, didn't see your recent post until I submitted this one! The driveshaft is not too far from the edge of the housing, so don't think you'll get too much more clearance with a hard tail design, but you'll probably get 1/4" or more!
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

do you think i will be able to get teh 150 on there?

Comment

You may get the 150 in there, as 10mm is about 5/16", and divided by 2 you would need an extra 5/32". The problem is you WILL need to notch the tube for the driveline, and loose the strength of the tube!! The swing arm tube is the size to clear the END of the drive shaft. If you just heat up and bend the tube in a little, the driveline will NO LONGER clear the "bend"!!
              I would think welding extra supports on top and bottom should keep it from flexing, but you would want to TEST it first.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I was already planning on the notch. I did the same thing to my vtx1800 to fit a 280 and there were no problems.

Comment

What About

Talk to chop and convert the sucker to chain drive a few have here
                  Doug Mitchell
                  82 XJ1100 sold
                  2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                  2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                  1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                  47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
                  X