Stock seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooops ..

It may very well be a Special seat. I don't see the mount holes for the tail cone AND If it is somewhat 'pointed' , like bikerphil's, as opposed to wide flat across at the tank side it is a Special seat.

Bikerphil ... I can imagine that you had a devil of a time fittin' that seat to your SF too while getting the side covers to line up correctly and the arse-end to look right, right? ....
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

seat mod

thewiz: It wasn't that difficult. It was a tight fit at the top of the side covers. The seat had to come off first to remove them. I rigged up a one bolt mounting system where a stud would pass thru a hole I drilled in the rear fender and secured underneath with a wing nut. To fill in the back tail lite area, I just mounted a piece of plastic cut out of a car mud flap. Nice thing is I could take the seat off in about 10 sec. with no tools.

2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Seat can be rescued

Hi Ridinghard,
        from the photo and that you say the bike is an XS11SG, it seems that some genius has junked the cast aluminum grabrail that the bike left the factory with in favour of an aftermarket backrest. Alas that the factory grabrail had mounting lugs for the tombstone rear light but the aftermarket backrest don't. This must have led the dreaded PO to attach the light directly to the seat. The easiest rescue is to take the light off the seat and mount it to a polished aluminum strip that is bolted onto the rear of the backrest rails.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

This seat has a factory attachment for the light to the seat. It is either a mod done when the bike was seat brand new using the same type of metal as the seat or it was originally with the light mounting hardware attached. As I have stated in other posts I have a Harley Davidson tire, saddle bags, a different Yamaha sissy bar, who knows what seat, and possible many other non original parts I haven't gotten to yet.
          I am not one to try to get things original just so they are original so I'll probably play with this one and make it look like I want and not worry about what I put on it for parts.
          1980 XS 1100 Special
          1983 Honda Shadow 500 (profit project)
          1986 Honda Shadow 500 (wife's)

Comment

"I am not one to try to get things original just so they are original so I'll probabl

Hi Ridinghard,
            yeah, me too, whatever works is OK. You should see the mods I did to make my XS11SG better fitted to haul a sidecar. But you're the one who hates the rearlight being attached to the seat, right?
            So make yourself a strap to hang the light off the sissybar so the seat will come off, eh?
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
            X