No announcement yet.

Gotta love those PO's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The casting line is above it along the edge of the cooling fin.
    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
    23mm float height
    120 main jets
    42.5 pilot jets
    drilled stock airbox with K&N
    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
    spade fusebox
    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

There is one on ebay

Here is the Item number: 250283653485

Also before you use JB Weld you might want to check out

http://www.amazon.com/CarGo-QuickSte.../dp/B0002KNVI6

I have used this quick steel on cylinder heads where the exhaust manifold bolts up. The head was cracked and leaking water. I tore off a piece, hand mixed it and stuck it in the hole and crack. I redrilled and tapped the hole and it worked perfect, no leak! This was on a V8 engine though.

Hope it helps
      1980 Xs1100 MNS Sold for $1800
      2004 Roadstar XV1700
      45 to 50 MPG
      Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it is too late!

Comment

some PO overtorqued and broke that housing
        Yup.. that's what it looks like happened.
        I went down to the garage to compare... I don't recall seeing a "casting line"....
        But then again... I haven't seen that area on my bike for about five years.
        It's uhm... I mean... uhh.. covered with JBWeld where I busted that piece off.
        (Actually, the JBWeld is covered with Permatex as it seeps a little. And judging by your pic... it's seeping out of the nut/stud area, too, as did mine)
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

could u take it to a welder
          and have it 'tig' welded in situ?
          the area would have 2 be free of
          all oil.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I thought about welding but I'm not sure thats a good idea on something like this.. If you try to weld a cast iron exhaust manifold on a car you know what I mean. Now this doesnt get quite that hot or expand/contract quite that much, but I think you would almost have to strip the motor down clean out ALL oil or fuel and then reassemble the empty jug/head and torque em down , then try to weld it.. (I'm thinking about the weld heat moving things around and the top surface no longer being flat anymore). I dont have the stuff to weld aluminum anyway, I only do gorilla welds.. (not as strong as a gorilla, but looks like it was welded by one.).

I was thinking of that putty too.. Im suprised the JB that I used on my poor #1 float bowl is still intact.. Epoxy by nature does not like heat, in fact this is how you get a golf club head free (torch). But I know that this stuff is made for higher temps, I think I saw 1800 degree's on one of them..

Its a rainy day so wont be bikin today. Mabye if it dries up Ill get out there and scrub the area with some xylol and a brass brush then dab it down with xylol for a dry clean surface and see what I can do..

Thanx everyone, I hate to have to booger things back together or patch stuff like this but I think its worth a shot for now.. Might have to teardown soon anyway if things dont come back up to par.
            XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
            Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Ugly nuts

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
              Love those nice red fasteners he used too!
              Ok, I have the same red fasteners on my bike. A lot of them are attached to aluminum. I don't want to hurt the aluminum with acid, how do you shine them up?
              Sam Christensen
              The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
              If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Welding

There is a guy in Mattawan, Mi by the name of Tony who laser welds. Mattawan is just west of Kazoo on M652. He does welding for the mold shop I work at. His dad used to run a motorcycle shop out of the biulding he is in, so he might know if it can be done. The guy is a wizard. I have seen him weld stuff that was only .030- .050 wide and weld in the bottom of slots that were only .050 wide and 5/16 deep. All that with no sink on the edges or warpage. I'll get his phone number at work tonight. If anyone could do it right, he could.
                1979XS1100SF
                K&N's and drilled airbox
                Jardine 4in1
                Dunlop Elite 3's
                JBM slide diaphragms
                142.5 main jets
                45 pilot jets
                T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                750/850 FD mod.
                XV 920 Needle Mod.
                Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Welding

Tony's phone# is1-269-668-2760. He might want you to dig the crack out a little with a Dremal tool and a burr, or he might want to do it himself. That's if you want to go this route. Just my 2 cents worth.
                  1979XS1100SF
                  K&N's and drilled airbox
                  Jardine 4in1
                  Dunlop Elite 3's
                  JBM slide diaphragms
                  142.5 main jets
                  45 pilot jets
                  T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                  750/850 FD mod.
                  XV 920 Needle Mod.

Comment

I don't want to hurt the aluminum with acid, how do you shine them up?
                    Pull them off a few at a time each month and replace them with Stainless. Eventually things will start looking good, and with just a few things a month, the expense won't hurt so bad.

Cleaning the rust off exposes the metal again and all that work will just result in a rusty something again the next day.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Its a small world Tim.. Tony is a good friend of mine, I grew up with him. He had a brother Tim who passed away a long time ago. The shop was called Mel's motorcycle (was his dad). A black cloud descended on the world they day they shut down..

I dont know where I would take a jug to be bored now that they are closed. And you are correct he makes alum welds look like caulk or tootpaste.. beautiful.

I probably wouldnt trouble him with this but who knows. I try not to draw on good stuff like that unless really needed.
                      (kinda like calling underdog all the time when nothings really that bad hehe).

I have another friend that lives around here that just does shock rebuilding for pro's. Its nice to have a few secret weapon friends that can help ya out with the tougher stuff..

Oh yeah, I grew up in Paw Paw just west of there (thats the school we went too). Back in the old days when Mel's was in the little building on the northeast corner of the intersection north of the current place. That was the good ole days.
                      Last edited by ClarkGriswald; 09-04-2008, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys,

The crack in the cam tunnel is fairly common; at least a couple of the well-known bikes on the UK forum have it...... Including mine.

I don't know the full history of my engine, but the other one over here is factory-built; Present owner has known the bike from new, and it has NEVER been stripped. Leaked almost from new.......

I have owned mine since '92 and done many tens of thousands of miles. It weeps a spot of oil, but has never got any worse. "structural" silicone sealer on a well-cleaned surface gives a semi-permanent repair for pennies; needs redone every four or five years.

AlanB
                        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

And the dwarfs break into a song....

Wow, it is a small world. It's funny how things like this keep happening. A friend and I were coming back from a fishing trip in Canada a few years ago and were chosen at random for a vehicle search. While we were waiting my buddy starts talking to one of the customs guys. Turns out that they grew up in the same neighborhood and the border cop's dad was good friends with my friends dad and uncle. My friend grew up in Dowagiac. Your other bike pro freind wouldn't have a son that races flat track would he?
                          1979XS1100SF
                          K&N's and drilled airbox
                          Jardine 4in1
                          Dunlop Elite 3's
                          JBM slide diaphragms
                          142.5 main jets
                          45 pilot jets
                          T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                          750/850 FD mod.
                          XV 920 Needle Mod.

Comment

SW Michigan

I went to A&P school in Berian Springs, lived in Benton Harbor, took my FAA exams in Dowagiac and got blasted out of my mind every fall at the Paw Paw wine festival. Yep it is a small world.

wingnut
                            81 SH (Daily Ride)
                            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Wine fest is today, I drove thru it on the XS this morning.

Comment

Does the campas of Ann Arbor still move over to Paw Paw for that event. Man those were some good times. I'd love to ride my XS thru there some day, I;ve been out of there for over 25 years

Dave
                                wingnut
                                81 SH (Daily Ride)
                                81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                                81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                                82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                                81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                                X