Gotta love those PO's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta love those PO's.

Ok Ive known about this but was hoping it wasnt what I thought it was.. Ill just let ya'll guess for now.. Heres a clue..

XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
    Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

JB weld maybe
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Aint JB weld great?!!
      John
      Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
      '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
      '78 CB750F ( The F)
      '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
      New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
      Then: '76 CB550K
      '78 CB750F
      '84 VF1100S
      And still Looking!

Comment

That is my hope, do ya'll think it would really stay on there with the heat of the jug?? Its supposed to be fairly high temp but wow.. Ya guessed right anyway..

Now, Macguyver would probably mix a chocolate bar with some coke and make a gooey residue to plug up that crack.. I hope I can.

Comment

One of mine has a freeze plug in it. I think that is redneck too.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

unbolt the tensioner and pull the plug. Tap it out from the other side.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
            Second bike is an FJR1300.
            Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Love those nice red fasteners he used too!
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Ok mabye yall might be missing what I am asking..

Look between the tensioner and the front "lower" head nut.. see that big horizontal crack where the oil comes out???

Today I degreased the area.. then put gold bond powder on there.. drove it a few miles and confirmed that oil comes out.. some PO overtorqued and broke that housing . the jug..

PS, that is MY black RTV job on the plug.. the tensioner has a homemade gasket and is also ultrablacked. (the oil resistant kind ya use on differential housings ).

Hehe good point Ken,, actually the redness is only recent.. once I started removing the oil layer looking for leaks. the fasteners rusted.
                Last edited by ClarkGriswald; 09-03-2008, 08:07 PM.

Comment

"...some coke and make a gooey residue to plug up that crack ..."

I was wondering where Prom learned that old Indian trick

Kidding aside, can't tell from the pic if the crack is all the way through or not .... but .... I have JB Welded all sorts of stuff to include a snapped off ear back onto a transmission and it has held. That said, that there little 'boss' on the barrel assy needs to be glued back on there perfectly though .. otherwise pretty sure oil could leak from the cam chain cavity out the front loop of the head gasket around the cooling fins and blow backward onto your thigh while riding. Pleasant thought, eh?

Another option is a different set of barrels ... more work but a better fix.
                  80G Mini-bagger
                  VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                  79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                  79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                  79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                  79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I was trying not to break my own heart about that crack but yeah, Im hopin mabye I can plug off the oil leak for now. I never tried Jb on something that gets that hot and its hot environment. Ill give her a go.. Im pretty sure this is probably what could be blowing in the wind and goin back thru the #2 sparkplug area and dripping down and making me think there was a leak back/down there. I know my tensioner is not leaking, so that crack has to be doin it, after the talc/powder trick that crack was the first thing oily.

I still smell teardown. Oh well, I guess if I did that, I would have to split the whole works and go thru the low end/rods and see what I have for circlips in the middledrive haha.. (Please motorcycle gods dont make me do all that, I'm poor.. heh)

Comment

We used JB weld on a block that had about an 1 1/2 hole in it. It was on a Combine that we had to have running. Best I recollect it lasted till we traded it off several years later. So it had many hours of high heat and it was fine. Of course one only used the combine for a few weeks every year so that helped.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

JB Weld it what's the worse that could happen, Still leak if so your not any worse off. Nothing to Loose and hopefully a whole lot of work avoided.

Comment

Not to sound stupid but that looks like a casting seam are you absolutely sure its leaking there?
                          80 SG XS1100
                          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I noticed the JB Weld but that crack is what drew my eye even more. That looks serious. Definitely looks like a PO over torqued it. You might start looking for a new set of Jugs. (please - no comments) If that is cracked all the way through, that certainly is going to affect the head. The torque won't be even and the head gasket may begin to leak. Well, maybe not. I just recalled that you only torque that nut to like 14 ft pounds. I might just leave it alone until it really started to leak badly. However, after reading most of your other posts, I'm guessing you're not a "leave-it-alone" kind of guy. There's also the problem of being far from home when it finally lets loose.

Git 'r done!
                            Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                            1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                            23mm float height
                            120 main jets
                            42.5 pilot jets
                            drilled stock airbox with K&N
                            Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                            spade fusebox
                            1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Looks pretty jegged to be a casting line. Usually there a little straighter more uniformed. But then yamaha doesn't use the best aluminum anyway, when you try to poish it there's lots of imperfections in the metal it self so who knows

Comment

Working...
                              X