rear axle bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear axle bearings

can some one hopefully tell me where to go to find the rear axle needle cage bearing for a 79xs 1100. yamaha doesnt have it and i dont know what to do. its to nice to part with for a wheel bearing. ive tried the local Bearing shops and they all say its a wierd size and they cant get it. i tried yamaha themselves and their isnt even a cross reference for the part number. HELP

Read this

http://xs11.com/forum/showthread.php...+wheel+bearing

Comment

I have one but I dont really want to part with it. I could take it around here and talk to a few bearing guys I know and see if they have any access to them. If all else fails I maybe could be convinced to sell it, but I do have two xs11's now and have not yet checked the bearings on mine. I had to pay in the area of 55 bucks for mine, so if you find one it aint gonta be cheap. Later, Doug
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

well give me a price if you want to sell. i to have gone to 3 or 4 bearing places with no luck. this bike is in great shape i hate to part with it over a wheel bearing.

Comment

trout808;

Have you read John's post above about a source for that bearing??

Comment

i have and i just called them they said that NO one is making the 59 hundred series anymore and they dont have any. i see theres someone who had 3 left but im new in here and dont know how to get him a message that i want one.

Comment

That was an old post by nemesis, he sold them all.

try here:

click

BTW, if you want to message someone, click the BLUE PM button above their post.

Comment

BTW,

trout808 was able to order the bearing from the link I posted above. He was promised that it would ship today. i asked him to let us know the outcome so maybe we can continue to source them from there?

P.S. that link was originally posted by rman about 6 months ago, Thanks, Ray!

Comment

I am happy to hear he found one as I sure didnt want to part with mine. I went to a bearing shop here and they could not come up with one. They phoned a NTN bearings rep and he looked up their stock. They show none in Canada or the United States. The Rep is contacting Japan to see if they have any available. I did say I would take 10-20 if they have em for a good price. I bought mine for the same amount as the one on the link, but by the time the shipping, border fees etc were added in it ended up being $55 bucks. Hopefully tomorrow he will let me know. If I can get them I would just sell them for what I paid.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

I hope its legit because I messed mine up ( I know of all things to slip a punch on, the one thats discontinued). I mashed the basket a little bit so I was able to do some surgery with a tiny pair of needle nose pliers.. Its ok now but I sure wanna replace it. I might be next.

Never know I might end up takin the engine out and putting pedals and a chain on this thing if I'm not carefull hahahah.
                    XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                    Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

guys,

When you install these bearings, or any internal interference-fit bearing, don't beat on the new bearing, use the old race as a ram on top of the new one. cut a slot longways in the old one so it won't get stuck in the bore. And it helps to put the new one in the freezer overnight to shrink it a bit, work while the new one is still froze, they go in like butter on toast.

Here's a post by sixtysix that shows the slot cut in the old bearings:

click
                      Last edited by randy; 09-03-2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Ive always used big sockets for stuff like that, then I hit it with a wood mallet. Heavy but doesnt mess up my socket.

I slipped my punch when removing the one in question, I instantly knew I messed something up just like that inner tube the other day. I guess I had to pay back some karma from having good success working on so much stuff for other people and not having much trouble. (gets ya on your own stuff).
                        XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                        Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

"Easier than cuttin' a slot, Randy."

I can imagine, if one has the tool to cut a slot in hardened steel, then one would at least also have a bench grinder lying around.
                          Much quicker to just take the old bearing/ race to the grinder and remove a few thou from the outside diameter.
                          Won't get stuck in the wheel hub when using it to "press" in those new bearings.
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

rear axle bearings

well i just got the 5904 bearing via ups and it looks like it is the right one. now when i talked to wbds they said they only had 2 left and i got one. they also said that it looked like sk was slated to make more in october or november of this year. i say we keep the heat on these companies to make more, or we will all be out of luck in the future. again many thanks to you guys that steered me in the right direction. i cant wait to ride again. JJ

http://www.wbds.com/contact.aspx

Comment

So far I have not heard back from the NTN rep. I only hope he has a positive answer for us. I will keep you guys posted once I get an answer. Surely there must be enough uses for this bearing to make more. I agree we must keep on requesting it so they make more.
                              2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X