No announcement yet.

rear axle bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are 12 of these bearings in Toronto apparently. The catch is that they are for the outer race and needles but they do not come with the inner race. So for someone like ClarkGriswald who only effed the outer up this may help. I have to get back to the guy to doublecheck what that bearing is. He is still in "Hot Pursuit" of the whole bearing but has not got his answers as of yet. I will keep on him till he finds out one way or another.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

NTN

Funny, I work for NTN bearings in Macomb IL. IM a CNC machinist. What rep from from what plant did you speak with????
      1978 1100E Standard
      2 1985 700 Maxim's (black & red)
      1986 600 Radian (basket case)
      1979? GS1000 (no title)
      1980 1100SG Special

Comment

switz1, can they be gotten?

Comment

I personally never spoke to the rep. The guy I was dealing with was on the phone while i was standing there. He called his rep for western canada and thats all i know for sure. I went to more than one place and have them all looking for this bearing. Who knows maybe they are shining me on but why not just say nope cant get it instead of phoning rep's. Yer guess is better than mine and if anyone can find em yoy should be able to.
          2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

TIME

Prolly take some time, the ole front office peeps dont get in any big hurry. Is that bearing a "ball" or "roll" type. We only make the roll type.
            1978 1100E Standard
            2 1985 700 Maxim's (black & red)
            1986 600 Radian (basket case)
            1979? GS1000 (no title)
            1980 1100SG Special

Comment

Its a needle roller type. It is a NTN bearing number NA-5904. I have the box and bearing sitting here at my desk so if you need any other info let me know. I can caliper it or whatever as well.
              2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

I called the bearing place again today but no answer to the question yet. He was going to phone the Rep again and see if anything new is to be known. Later,Doug
                2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

I have kept bugging the bearing guy about every two weeks to see If he had found anything out. Today he phoned me and said he has been unable to locate or find any news of these bearings. He apparently was cross matching them to everything he could find that looked close...even some harley ones...Long story short he apologizes and wishes he could have helped us out here at channel 11 but he can not get any. Now if anyone else has any ideas maybe we can work a different angle.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Funny thing is theres probably some chinese farm equipment or something somewhere that accidentally created the same bearing (we wish) maybe there is a container of them on a ship coming here right now. To bad they are such a hard thing to just build yourself, (although I know there are peep out there that could do it).

I just went thru a rear bearing issue with one of my jeeps, trying to tell the parts place that I wanted the proper tapered roller bearing and they can only come up with straight roller replacements.. ( I guess because the parts manufacturers decide its ok to just change things whenever its cheaper to make em that way hehe). Anyway, one of the mech's told me they had just been thru it like a half doz times and you cant get em.. Finally I waited around till the owner came back from lunch and explained to him how there are tons of stories over the years of those straight roller types failing and the whole wheel coming off the vehicle (wreck). Well he did what I asked and looked up the timkin number and the next day I had what I wanted.. I even had em press it on the axle for me cause thats a pain and I am busy. Best part was the mech that told me I couldnt get them was the one that put it on hahah.. He just stood there with a blank expression when i was picking it up. I told em if dana/spicer didnt tell you to change that bearing to a diff style than Im not doin it, and I wouldnt suggest they do lest they be sue'd someday. Well it was a rear bearing story at any rate..

I wouldnt know how to go about building new ones but I wonder if there is a place that could do a small run of some custom bearing like that.. bad thing is it would be on us to all donate the funds to get a run of 50 or a hundred or so and the possibility of more.. just a pipe dream I suppose, it would probably be pretty expensive.
                    XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                    Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

An old one

Does anyone here have an old bearing? one of the needles in mine fell out and is "gone forever!!" it worked great right up till it fell out! I was removing old grease and got a little carried away now I am left with a blank spot where there used to be a needle!
                      HELP ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jrplumber1 View Post
                        Does anyone here have an old bearing? one of the needles in mine fell out and is "gone forever!!" it worked great right up till it fell out! I was removing old grease and got a little carried away now I am left with a blank spot where there used to be a needle!
                        HELP ME!!!
                        I just found these on ebay, claims to be a complete set, 2 front 1 rear bearing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...spagenameZWD1V

Says he's got a 100 of them.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by jrplumber1 View Post
                          HELP ME!!!
                          I also just looked at bikebandit.com and they list the bearing as available. Did someone suddenly make a bunch of these?
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I read somewhere that the company that makes them was going to make a run of them in November... I guess they did! lol.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

just found these on ebay, claims to be a complete set, 2 front 1 rear bearing.
                              I hope you get the bearing you want for the rear. There's no picture on the ad and the rear has two bearings. He's only sending you one of them. I'd be surprised if he sent the right one. Here's hoping...
                              Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                              1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                              23mm float height
                              120 main jets
                              42.5 pilot jets
                              drilled stock airbox with K&N
                              Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                              spade fusebox
                              1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Yeah, I was looking at that price to that Ebay link. Everybody usually lists that ONE discontinued bearing in the rear somewhere between $45-$50. I'd be willing to bet that the one you need isn't included. BUT.. it wouldn't hurt to write and ask the seller!

Tod
                                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100
                                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Working...
                                X