Rear Brake Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brake Rub

My rear brake is rubbing a bit. It squawks when i back it out of my parking space, but only half of the revolution of the wheel. I poured some water on the rotor, and the noise stopped, it is definitely rubbing. Also, when i come to a stop, my rear brakes squeak.

Is there anything I need to do besides replace the rear brake pads? Is this a hard job?
    1979 Eleven Special - 26,000 miles.

easier than on the front!!
    1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

Replacing the pads will not clear up rubbing brakes. Make sure you use anti-squeal grease and that should clear up the squealing. If they rub XSively, then you may have a clogged fliuid return(spooge) hole in the master cylinder. They will always rub a little bit but if they rub enough to make the bike hard to push in neutral, they're rubbing too much. If they only rub for half of the disk, then the disk is warped. Check your manual for run-out specs on the disk. Clean that master cylinder, and make sure the piston moves freely in the caliper. Flush the system with new fluid and bleed. You should be good to go after that.
      Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
      1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
      23mm float height
      120 main jets
      42.5 pilot jets
      drilled stock airbox with K&N
      Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
      spade fusebox
      1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

This forum is incredible! I have exactly the same problem on my SF. Doesnt drag but I can hear it for about a half a revolution of the disc. I also have thoughts of warping. I tried to see if I coulf feel some pulsing breaking with the rear only from a decent speed with no warp symptoms. The same problem existed prio to my recent pad replacement. I am going to take apart look for the spooge hole issue, replace fluid and add a new SS rear brake line, as well as check the caliper. Sounds like I might also need a new disc. Harbor Freight sells a pretty inexpensive dial indicator for checking runout.

EGRON

Comment

glazed pads and discs can also cause
          a squeal, if the pads r within spec, lightly
          rub both pads and disc with sum sand paper
          to deglaze.
          All pads will rub slightly, with the rear wheel of the ground
          the wheel should spin by hand.
          also if u take the pads out, there should b a thin plate between
          the pad and calliper, this also helps to prevent squeals,
          good luck with it.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X