Jardine 4-1 exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jardine 4-1 exhaust

How on earth do you mount the can to the bike on this system..

no photos, no nothing with new item. Just an "L" bracket, a spacer thing with 2 holes, a clamp, the spacers and the flange rings (as well as 4 header pipes, collector pipe and the chrome can).

i have everything on and loosly bolted, except i cant figure how
    to do mount the can assembly.

any insight or photos of completed so i can complete
    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
    Windjammer(wiring issues)
    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
    New paint/brakes to come!!
    ===============
    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
    ===============
    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
    Stock Pilots/125 mains
    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
    LED Brake Lite
    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

A picture of the exhaust would help, but generally there are 3 different types of mounts

1. A metal tab welded to the can.
    2. A slotted length of metal welded to side of can with a sliding bolt mounted into it.
    3. A clamp/metal strap which goes around the can, not fixed to the can.

All 3 mounts generally bolt up to the pillion peg mount, unless otherwise stipulated.

Hope this helps

Comment

new oval can has a "slotted" bracket welded to it, but the supplied bolt will not fit into the slot, unless i bash it with a large hammer, and im not wanting to do that right now... and it seems
      a bit short to fit through the bracket and the pillion bracket.

i may have to find a longer bolt.
      ===============
      ===============
      Stock Pilots/125 mains
      LED Brake Lite
      Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Originally posted by TomRodgers
        new oval can has a "slotted" bracket welded to it, but the supplied bolt will not fit into the slot, unless i bash it with a large hammer, and im not wanting to do that right now... and it seems
        a bit short to fit through the bracket and the pillion bracket.

i may have to find a longer bolt.
        The slotted bracket should either be open at one end, or have a 'hole' at one end of the slot for the bolt to fit through. The bolt should not turn once slid into the slot. The slots are there so that the system will fit onto a number of different bikes. A longer bolt could be required on certain setups.

Comment

on mine it had a tab welded on where a bolt would go through, but it didnt line up with the mounting point on the foot peg bracket, so i fabricated a bracket to go from the can to the insulated mounting hole.
          1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
          -Pod Filters
          -4-1 pipe
          -larger jets for carbs
          1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

How on earth do you mount the can to the bike on this system..

no photos, no nothing with new item. Just an "L" bracket, a spacer thing with 2 holes, a clamp, the spacers and the flange rings (as well as 4 header pipes, collector pipe and the chrome can).

i have everything on and loosly bolted, except i cant figure how
            to do mount the can assembly.

any insight or photos of completed so i can complete
            I just mounted the all-chrome version of what you're installing. Got it from MerriamXS. The "L bracket you referred to is the center stand stop and should be mounted to the left side of the bike at the muffler hanger location. You can even drill a hole in the end and install your old rubber stop on it if you like. I have heard from others that the bolt provided does not fit the cannister's slot. You may have to grind the head to fit it in or just get another bolt. weird, huh? Tt seems like Jardine would knwo this and correct the problem. According to Jardine, they do intend to make more of these systems for the Xs1100 but they told me they were going to make more in July and that month came and went. Count yourself blessed to have scored one.
            Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
            1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
            23mm float height
            120 main jets
            42.5 pilot jets
            drilled stock airbox with K&N
            Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
            spade fusebox
            1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

The "spacer thing" with two holes is the cannister hanger. With this, you should be able to get the holes(cannister and muff hanger mounting hole on the bike) to line up. The bolt that came with the kit bolts this to your cannister and the original bolt from your exhaust hanger goes in the other hole to mount it to the bike. Make sure the head pipes are as far into the collector as they will go or the holes will not line up and you will have leaks.
              23mm float height
              120 main jets
              42.5 pilot jets
              Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
              spade fusebox
              1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Thanks...will give it a shot...I scored mine from the same place...for under 225 shipped to me. so if i have to spend a little to get it to work, thats OKAY!!!

From what i can see on mine, the kickstand/center stand dont come anywhere close to the system, so is in necessary to install the "stop"????

Ill try and get this to work, and if i have any other issues, ill check back.
                THanks for the help!!!
                Tom
                ===============
                ===============
                Stock Pilots/125 mains
                LED Brake Lite
                Needs paint....

Comment

Can Hanger

Tom, I had problems with mine until I took a RAWHIDE hammer ( don't use a metal one) and bumped the can forward. When it is right the holes for the can and the muffler hanger mounting hole will be strait up and down. I went to my local True Value store and got a stainless bolt, washer and nut to go through the muffler hanger. Where are you in Laporte? I'm just down the road on IND2. PM me and maybe we can get together or I can come over and let you look at mine.
                  1979XS1100SF
                  K&N's and drilled airbox
                  Jardine 4in1
                  Dunlop Elite 3's
                  JBM slide diaphragms
                  142.5 main jets
                  45 pilot jets
                  T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                  750/850 FD mod.
                  XV 920 Needle Mod.
                  Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                  Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Originally posted by TomRodgers
                    Thanks...will give it a shot...I scored mine from the same place...for under 225 shipped to me. so if i have to spend a little to get it to work, thats OKAY!!!

From what i can see on mine, the kickstand/center stand dont come anywhere close to the system, so is in necessary to install the "stop"????

Ill try and get this to work, and if i have any other issues, ill check back.
                    THanks for the help!!!
                    Tom
                    Check the full movement of the centre stand. With age the spring sags and they sit lower, but will bounce when moving and could hit the can then.

Comment

When you put the "L" backet on, it should float. That is, the bracket should just kind of hang there. I dented up a set of yoshimuras back in japan because I didn't put the hanger on. Quite an "ugly" mistake because i was too lazy to pull one bolt.
                      Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                      Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                      while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

The prblem is not the center stand hitting the system. Without the stop it will sit against the lower surface of the swing arm. The swing arm moves! So unless you want an annoying clunk whenever you go over a bump AND all the paint beat off the bottom of the rear swing arm, I'd install the stop.
                        23mm float height
                        120 main jets
                        42.5 pilot jets
                        Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                        spade fusebox
                        1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

When you put the "L" backet on, it should float. That is, the bracket should just kind of hang there. I dented up a set of yoshimuras back in japan because I didn't put the hanger on. Quite an "ugly" mistake because i was too lazy to pull one bolt.
                          The L-bracket is the center stand stop; not the hanger.
                          23mm float height
                          120 main jets
                          42.5 pilot jets
                          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                          spade fusebox
                          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Please replace the word "hanger" with the words "center stand stop" in my last post.
                            Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                            Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                            while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Then i guess ill be putting the stop on...hahaha...
                              ===============
                              ===============
                              Stock Pilots/125 mains
                              LED Brake Lite
                              Needs paint....

Comment

Working...
                              X