How to bypass auto cancel turn signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bypass auto cancel turn signal

I am wondering how to bypass my auto cancel turn signal relay on my '80 XS Standard.

When I first got the bike the auto cancel gave me problems (turning off too soon, not turning off, not flashing, etc). Since I've been riding it, the unit works 90% percent of the time. I have tried to get used to having the auto feature but I still find myself operating it like a manual switch. Also, I like to turn the signal on quite a distance back while on a highway but I find the unit turning off the signal before I actually turn. I learned to ride on a manual switch and I would be happier if my XS was a manual switch.

So, what is the easiest way to bypass the auto cancel relay?

Thanks again!
    1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
    Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
    850 FD
    Fork Brace
    Progressive Front Springs
    Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
    Oil Cooler
    Throttle Lock
    Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

On my XJ, hitting the switch twice defeats the auto cancel functions. That is, if I'm turning right, I press the switch right twice within the space of a second or two and the auto-cancel is defeated.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

for me, i un-plugged the auto-cancelling unit as my turn signals wouldn't even work with it hooked up. now the signal stays on until i turn it off
      K. Johnson
      -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
      triple clean and boots
      -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
      replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
      -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
      $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Thanks guys, I will try hitting it twice and if that don't work I will try unplugging the unit.

Thanks!
        1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
        Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
        850 FD
        Fork Brace
        Progressive Front Springs
        Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
        Oil Cooler
        Throttle Lock
        Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

Comment

Another way is to put in a 2 prong Electronic flasher relay, useful IF you are going to be going to LED's anyways, and it will then totally NOT use the self cancelling feature, FOREVER!

You won't HAVE the self cancelling feature with a 2 prong flasher, and 3 pronged ones won't work at all!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Does anyone know how to check the autocancel or speedo to see were the problem is? I have 3 autocancels and they won't cancel on my bike. Been like that since I've owned it. I have a fairing so there has been wire splicing.
            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

red bandit;

your first check would be the "lead switch" in the speedo, it's the White/Green and White/Black wires. You can either remove the speedo and check it on the bench or chuck your speedo cable into a drill, spin it and check for periodic continuity on the wires. the switch closes every 1/8 mile or some such giving the canceller unit it's signal.

Or just forget it like most of us do and cancel the signal yourself.

Comment

If your switch is bad my speedo just broke and I've got a good switch out of it. Let me know if you need it.
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

Read switch???

It's actually a "reed switch" and it opens and closes as the magnets that drive the speed hand pass under it. It's the same kind of switch that is on doors in security systems. The magnet is on the door and the switch is on the jamb and it is held closed by the magnet. When the door opens the switch opens.

As the MC moves the cup with the magnet goes around and the reed switch opens and closes and the canceling unit counts the revs and after a set number of them it turns, off or in 10 seconds, whichever comes first.
                  You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                  Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                  Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system
                  Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Yes, by it's construction it's a common reed switch, but the schematic calls it a "lead switch" Maybe it was due to phonetic confusion with "R" and "l"?

Oh, that was not politically correct, but has been known to happen!

Comment

Looks like the lead/reed switch is good. Checked for & have signal at the canceller plug too. So I guess all 3 cancellers are bad. Seems odd all 3 are bad??? Or are they short lived? Anybody ever have a canceller apart? Should I be the first? Think it might be fixable? I figure I can't hurt it.
                      Thanks for your help guys.
                      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Just to be clear, the canceller is the little rectangular box located by the tool box, center of the frame under the seat. they don't come apart, they're potted.

The flasher is the aluminum can next to the fuse panel.

Comment

Randy, yes I agree. The black potted rectangular thing. Except... EVERYTHING comes apart. Might not work afterwards but like I said, it doesn't work now so I can't hurt it.
                          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Check reed switch

Turning the front wheel should give you on/off pulses at the canceller from the reed switch. If that's not happening, the canceller will not work. Additionally the signals are supposed to turn off after 10 seconds or 150 meters, which ever comes first. I have the owners manual and that what it says.....AIR
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

They will come a part there a little peice off metal that loses connection

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/100_1646.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/100_1647.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/100_1648.jpg
                              Edward / Tn

Comment

Working...
                              X