Greetings from New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subike
    I will as my local guy if he has a set of carbs, possibly a set of forks and his price, I know he has parted out three xs11's. I have a set of indercators I can sell you, also a rear gaurd complete with tail light in good condition. You may be interested in the tail light, as the gaurd is off a 79 std and I think is different than the special. I have a set of 4-1 headders, but they are rough, you would be better getting a Jardine of Ebay like I did, They were $450 delivered. If you dont have one, and are interested, I am removing the oil cooler unit. I will be putting this up for sale on Trade me, comes complete with mounting hardware. Let me know if interested and I will give you first option.
    Thanks Sub.... i won't know until at least next week because I'm yet to take possession because I'm shifting Friday afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by Just In Case
      Good to see another XS about.

There was a guy on Trademe last week flogging a bunch of XS bits last week; forks, body bits, frame, etc, but no bids. Search trademe for "cherokee6"

Dave
      His name is Mike I got the 4-1 pipe of him for a cheap price, got it up here and found there was bout 4-5 holes in it, good thing it only cost me $25 for it. He's selling up his XS's and yea wants top dollar for everything. I would certainly suggest viewin his stock carefully first.

Comment

Picked up the bike today.

Have taken pics (will post when I get my Broadband connected) and will post my progress as I get in to it.

Comment

Crikey it's been 6 months already and all I've managed to do is strip the carbs (and killed a carb body in the process)

Comment

Sounds like you are on the same repair schedule I have. Whenever we had a big project at work I always liked the phrase "Eat the elephant one bite at a time". I try to get something done every day. Even if it's just picking the parts up and giving them another "look over".
            It'll get there.
            Rodger
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Hey Late....

Yea I'm definitely doing it bit by bit... Looking at getting my sand blaster cranked up so I can do some painting before the winter rolls around again.

Problem I'm having at the moment is finding out more about this model so I know what to get when I buy parts.

Here's what know so far:
              1981 XS1100R (Possibly RH) Midnight Special... New Zealand assembled/new

Thing is though the Yamaha parts site and most other places I look have the 81 special but not the midnight, or the midnight with a different tank, indicators, rims, handlebars or headlight... I'm yet to see another bike that has all these the same as mine.

Not sure I should bother trying to source original tank and seat if I can find other ones that fit... Anyway I'm not in a position to buy new parts at the moment so I'm looking at working on what I can without it costing anything

Comment

The tank is off a 79 1100F std.
                The clocks are 78-79 1100F not special IIRC
                indercators are afta market
                I would say that bike is a mix of several bikes
                The pipes look to be Jardine.
                Tail lamp deff not NZ new fitment.

I would be checking out the chassis numbers with local plod
                http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
                1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
                In stock untouched contion.
                http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
                1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
                Mikes XS coils
                Jardine 4-1
                Pod filters
                Harley Davidson Rear Fender
                Bullet signal lights
                Twin 75mm headlights
                Self made single seat

Comment

Originally posted by subike View Post
                  The tank is off a 79 1100F std.
                  The clocks are 78-79 1100F not special IIRC
                  indercators are afta market
                  I would say that bike is a mix of several bikes
                  The pipes look to be Jardine.
                  Tail lamp deff not NZ new fitment.

I would be checking out the chassis numbers with local plod
                  Just as well I plan to butcher it then lol

Or I could pay the $12 fee for a http://www.carjam.co.nz report

Comment

Hi there,

Check out THIS THREAD. I think that you have the normal (for your market) RH model. It should look something like the one in the other thread.

It has too many RH only parts fitted for it to be anything else really. For instance, the rear light assembly is unique to the RH and European Sport model. Footpegs, handlebars, seat, oil cooler, rear brake pedal all are from the RH/Sport model.

Things which are not original and have been fitted later are the standard tank, clocks, silver on the engine covers and rear diff, exhaust.

Someone's crashed it at some time and replaced bits from different models. The bent front headlight brackets tell that story. It's hard to tell from the photos but it should have an 8" headlight not a 7".

Good luck with the rebuild. If you need any model specific information or manuals the UK site is probably your best bet for those.

Forgot to mention, check the engine/number. Does it start with a 5N5?
                    '84 Sport

Comment

Hey Shappers,

Thanks for that.... Exactly the information I was after.

I was looking on the UK site earlier today and created an account to acces the parts tool... Looks like that's going to come in handy.

Yes it is an 8 inch headlight and I'm looking to keep it on there. I just have to do a repair on the damage to the chrome rim, have it re-plated and replace the ears... I think it looks better than the square one.

Yes the engine number starts with 5N5.

Cheers

Comment

Warning !

Alive, these bikes are super addictive. We all started with just one. Enjoy!
                        I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
                          Alive, these bikes are super addictive. We all started with just one. Enjoy!
                          Who said I only had one? :lol:

Admittedly this is my first XS... My daily ride is a rather nice 83 XJ900... I'm parting out a couple of XJ650's, have a spare 900 parts bike and my mates damaged RF900 in my garage at present

Comment

Here's a photo of my 900... Taken just after I finished the restoration and with only 14000kms on the clock... Up to nearly 40k now

Comment

Finally started the tear down....

It always takes so little time to remove everything and such a long time to get it back on :lol:

Here's some of the good stuff I've found so far...

Comment

My camera doesn't focus too well at night

Comment

Working...
                                X