No announcement yet.

Carbs drive me NUTS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt adding a single automotive relay is going to significantly increase the MTTF of the system.
    Maybe not, depending on the quality of the work and materials. But it does increase the number of possible points of failure.

Comment

I believe what psycoreefer is referring to is a mod called "re-powering the coil". Have read about it being done with some old Kawasaki's.

Agree with Randy. Fix it right.

mro

Comment

Just to make clear, I went thru all my wiring on the frame before and cleaned all connections and used dielectric grease on them all.
        The battery itself was measuring 11.7 VDC with no load. With a load (starter turning) it dropped to 9vdc. Both of those readings tell me my battery was low- it hasn't been driven enough to charge it . I put it on the charger and the charger pegged. I have left it on the charger all night and am going to go try it out as soon as I finish my coffee and get dressed. IF SWMBO will quit bothering me
        1979XS100SF
        2007 Dyna wide glide
        Too many dodge trucks to list!

Comment

As has been said earlier ..

in this thread

"..."...it dropped to 9vdc..."

that ain't enough to fire the motor. Needs 10.4 volts.
          80G Mini-bagger
          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Yep, that's why I left it on the charger overnight. As soon as I get dressed, the charger will be switched to my truck battery which is dead also. I have too many vehicles and I just bought another old truck this last weekend.
            I seem to have started collecting 61-71 dodge trucks like some of you collect Yamahas. I currently have three trucks and a cab in my yard, two ramchargers, the Harley and the XS.
            And a lady friend visiting from N.C. ! No wonder I can't find time to get stuff done
            Time to see if I can actually get dressed and go try to start the XS
            1979XS100SF
            2007 Dyna wide glide

Comment

".. a lady friend visiting from N.C..."

We must lead parallel lives .... just in the last two weeks have trimmed my pile of old vehicles down ... I was into MBZ diesels had five at one time. Sold 'em all .... last one about 2wks ago .. Whew.

Just XS11s now ... four of 'em. Plus I'm goin next week to see a lady friend in NC ... don't they talk cute down there?
              80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
              79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

My friend is my German girlfriend from 23years ago! She found me in 5 minutes on the internet and we are renewing our friendship again She is here for one more week and I had to get the XS up as my harley really isn't meant for two up riding. The pillion seat is to small for her and I don't have a backrest, so she feels like she is going to slide off! I had to take it easy so she didn't.
                BUT, now the XS is firing on all 4 and I synched the carbs. Seems to be purring like a cougar now Just gotta take it for a test spin and see if the low end stumble is gone. I put the Iridium plugs back in and the air mixture screws are out 1.5 turns. Just need to do some chop tests and go out and have fun now!
                I might even get around to putting the fairing on this week unless I am kept busy
                WHEW!!! Now onto the Dodges again, after a day of test riding of course!
                1979XS100SF
                2007 Dyna wide glide

Comment

Well, I just took it for a quick spin and it is still stumbling between 1000-3500 rpm. DAMN!!
                  So what else should I be checking/adjusting to get rid of the stumble? It is not as bad as it was when I first put the coils on, but it is still there
                  1979XS100SF
                  2007 Dyna wide glide

Comment

I had about the same problem and no matter how much I charged the battery it still would not work. I put a new battery in it and it ran great ever since

Comment

Bro' ...

if it were me, I'd have load tested the battery with a meter right away after the overnight charge. That tells the tale of battery fitness
                      80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Man am I a DUMBS**T!

I just had to share my progress from the last 10 months.
                        After much frustrations and way too many lost weekends, I think I may have finally found the demon that possesed my bike and I believe I have excorcised that demon I can also remove the carbs, set the floats and reinstall them in about 1/2 hour now. That is starting at the gas tank to firing back up. I bet I could cut that in half if I got pods.

Last week while going through the electrical diagnostics with my DMM, the resistor cap on #1 finally went open all the way!! Every time I have metered it I was getting 5K +/- 10%. It was always in spec when I metered it, so I never bothered replacing them. I believe the resistor was fractured and causing current fluctuations, thus the erratic stumbling I was getting.
                        After a few phone calls, a trip to the Honda shop, and for under $20, I have 4 new NGK caps on the bike. Reset the carbs to just under 26MM, 2 1/2 turns out on the pilots and fired her up. After going for a run to burn off the plugs, she seems to be running pretty damn good! Just need to fine tune the carbs and change out the final drive oil seal before it gets to bad ( not leaking too bad yet, and I will have to make a seal driver for it) and it is good to go

Did I mention I am an electrician by trade and troubleshoot circuits all the time. This just goes to show, if your caps are original, REPLACE THEM!!! Best under $20 purchase you will ever make IMHO. Cheap insurance against the intermittent opens that may occur with a fractured component. Unfortunately, it may test fine over and over until the fracture finally breaks like it did on me while I had the meter connected to it and saw it go open for good.

Thanks too all who have helped out the last few years helping me get this beast back on the road Is it normal that it seems like the faster I go, the more the power just keeps coming I like it!!
                        1979XS100SF
                        2007 Dyna wide glide

Comment

Working...
                        X