What tires do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trbig View Post
    As for the question about the seriously knobby tires... I gotta ask.. WHY?? They make dual sport tires that are decent on blacktop, and decent off, but not spectacular at both. These bikes are too heavy to be a good dual sport bike though.

Tod

I'm likely going to be doing some winter riding and I'd like something more substantial than my regular road tires on there.
    1978 XS1100
    "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Comment

• Lauren Speaks.

I checked with the manufacturer of my tires today and received a response to:

Are my tires bias ply or radial???

Reason I asked was cause the tire is a K-657. The Tire size is 130/90H-16 and it's ply description is 6PR 67H TL. What had me wondering was the "R" in the ply description/numbers: "6PR".

The tire is a bias ply according to "Lauren" from Kenda tires. I guess the "R" stands for something other than Radial.

Who Knew??

Comment

• Originally posted by Larrym View Post
        - - - What had me wondering was the "R" in the ply description/numbers: "6PR".
        The tire is a bias ply according to "Lauren" from Kenda tires. I guess the "R" stands for something other than Radial.
        Who Knew??
        Hi Larry,
        6PR is "six ply rated" Means the tire carcass ain't actually got six plies but is still as stiff as if it had.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

• Rated R

Thanks Fred!

That seems to make more sense.

(Wikipedia just doesn't seem to make the grade on questions like this.)

Comment

• Automotive radial tires can be rotated and reversed, too, just like bias tires, unless your radials are directional.

If you're not sure, check with the mfg about your specific model of tire.

Most normal all-season tires are not directional, and the mfg's say that you should so the std 4 or 5 wheel (if you have a matching spare) rotation. It can add up to 30% longer tire life.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
              Automotive radial tires can be rotated and reversed, too, just like bias tires, unless your radials are directional.

If you're not sure, check with the mfg about your specific model of tire.
              I'd be careful about that.

You really need to check with the manufacturer, as some 'non-directional' radials will 'set' after use in one direction and you'll have problems with a conventional 'x' rotation. Worse yet, if you run them 'backwards' for any time, if you attempt to put them back that still won't fix the problem. I lost a good set of radials that way...

'78E original owner
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

• I run Michelin commanders front and rear..
                so far i like them, good stick, ok in the rain, seem to run out allright at speed.
                reasonable cost, good tread pattern.
                1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

• tires

i run conti blitz in the back dunlop sportmax in the front i have fj front fork
                  bill hane

Comment

• Steve

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    I'd be careful about that.

You really need to check with the manufacturer, as some 'non-directional' radials will 'set' after use in one direction and you'll have problems with a conventional 'x' rotation. Worse yet, if you run them 'backwards' for any time, if you attempt to put them back that still won't fix the problem. I lost a good set of radials that way...

'78E original owner
                    Steve, you know your tire's, If a radial is run in one direction for miles then changed to rotate backwards, you can shift the belts making the tire out of round (especialy with steel belted tires) Not a big prob. on these bikes though as they were made for bias ply and we don.t rotate them. If you are using/buying a used tire (bias or not) keep the direction of rotation tha same as when last used IMHO
                    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                    1980 XS1100 Special
                    1990 V Max
                    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

• 20 ply rated

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                      Hi Larry,
                      6PR is "six ply rated" Means the tire carcass ain't actually got six plies but is still as stiff as if it had.
                      Then I'm 20 ply rated... I'm not 20, but I'm as stiff as if I was 20...

On that note I'm off to see the wife...

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• Duro

I was goofing off and forgot to answer the question.

Duro brand.

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• metzler 880 tires..
                          1978 E XS1100 purchased for =$600.00
                          crap load of time spent modifying it = Priceless
                          My bike has the XS motor but can't really call it XS11
                          (or at least it still looks like the XS motor)
                          it has about 50% of the frame left from the XS bike

Comment

• Originally posted by trbig View Post
                            I seem to use more air in my tires than most. Between me and riding two up a lot, or at least carrying enough crap that the bike thinks I am.. I usually keep my rear at 40psi and the front at @ 35. I have @ 12psi in my front forks also with my dampener adjuster knob on 4 for the front and back. Probably a lot stiffer setup than most would prefer.

This being said... I did the same setup with the Avon tire and it cupped. I haven't run an Elite 3 on front, but I have no cupping issues "YET" with the Dunlop on the rear. As stated though, I am usually a lot more aggressive on my accel than I am on the brakes... but I still go through a set of pads about as often as tires???

Tod
                            Do you slow down mostly using your brakes or do you use ur transmission for braking? I use my brakes primarily for stopping and trail breaking in a corner ive gone into too fast...ive gotten about 13000 mis on this set of pads and still have about half my pads left...if the stock ones are wearing that quick you might want to switch to a different pad thats made of a different compound...or u might actually be changing ur pads before they need to be...which isnt necessarily bad, just more expensive...
                            Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
                            Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

• Originally posted by g15usmc View Post
                              Do you slow down mostly using your brakes or do you use ur transmission for braking? I use my brakes primarily for stopping and trail breaking in a corner ive gone into too fast...ive gotten about 13000 mis on this set of pads and still have about half my pads left...if the stock ones are wearing that quick you might want to switch to a different pad thats made of a different compound...or u might actually be changing ur pads before they need to be...which isnt necessarily bad, just more expensive...
                              I really should look at dates posted...i just replied to a post. From 2008 I think...guess thats what happens when u sleep out back of a chevron station...
                              Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
                              Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

• +

i purchased the Brigestone Spitfires for the rear mostly because
                                of the last thread on tires and its the only RWL tire avail for bikes. they are 4 ply w/zig zag tread design to throw off water to the sides. i havent had any spin on accel and are smooth on the road. im very satisfied so far with 2k mi. weather they last or not is to be seen. i had the rear delivered for $78. u cant beat that with a reputable tire imo they also look great on my SH. what more could u ask for. these arent racing bikes. the tires are spec'd Sport/Touring
                                Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
                                Kerker 4/1
                                stock carbs and air box.
                                78 headlite, handle bars,
                                1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
                                crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
                                78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
                                94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

Working...
                                X