What tires do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bias vs Radial

So If I have this correctly, Radials are a somewhat better tire but our XS's should use Bias ply because of the rim lip? Thx Rick.
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
      So If I have this correctly, Radials are a somewhat better tire but our XS's should use Bias ply because of the rim lip? Thx Rick.
      Hi Rick,
      I am not so sure it's about the rim. Because of the peculiar tire needs of a sidecar rig, I have been using a "Twintire" on the rear wheel of my XS650 and my XS11 and that's a radial tire. The first one ran perhaps 15,000 miles before it went bald and #2 still looks new after it's first season and although #1 developed an annoying (needed a top up once a week) slow leak towards the end of it's life they have never given me any trouble at all that had to do with the way they fitted on the rim. Most likely it's the radial tire's increased flexibility that can change a bike's handling characteristics.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Tod, when you went to the Elite 3's did you notice that they were noisy (turns/curves)?
        It was the first thing my brother in law noticed when he put them on his Royal Star Venture. Bothered him enough so that he doesn't want em again..
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Between the pod filters' growl, and the cam chain/motor noise being funnelled up to me with a fairing.. not to mention wind.. there's no way I could hear a tire. BUT.. there are some big hills sometimes where I just pull in the clutch and coast at idle.. I've still never noticed any noise except the wind?? The tread isn't a "Busy" pattern compared to maybe the Elite 2.

So.. short answer long.. I don't ever recall actually hearing the tires.. definately not loud enough to notice and become annoying? Add on my full faced helmet and MP3 player.. and pretty much NO external noise could become annoying! lol.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

tires

if you can hear your tires then you need louder exhaust.
            bill hane

Comment

Again, I find myself going with Trbig. The E-3 is a superior tire, I have never had a rear tire last as long or stick to the road better. As for noise, no louder than any other tire I have ever had on there. My main riding buddy has an '07 Royal Star Venture and has NO tire noise issues with his E-3's what so ever! The only noise issues with that bike is the clutch basket whine, there is a feeling that some tires may aggravate that however but the E-3's did not seem to be a problem with him.
              Two of my other bikes will need new tires this spring and there is no doubt at all in my mind that they will be getting the Elite Threes! Just an incredible tire.
              The Old Tamer
              1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Front?

Tod , What tire do you have on the front ?
                XJ1100K
                Avon rubber
                MikesXS black coils
                Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                MikesXS front master
                Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                Progressive fork springs
                CIBIE headlight reflector
                YICS Eliminator

Comment

Ummm... lol. Hand-me-downs. I was about to buy one to replace a Cheng chit (Yeah, sometimes you do dumb things when you don't have the money) and a buddy had a good Maxxis he said he'd give me. Same company as Cheng Chit.. but this one has been a much better turd than the others. Not great.. but got the job done for @ 14k miles with some cupping going on at the edges in the last couple thousand.

When it was time to replace that, he told me he had another hand me down that he wouldn't use.. An Avon Venom with at least half the tread left. SO... with money still tight... that's what's on right now, but that will be replaced this weekend with a new tire... as well as a new rear. I'm hoping they'll be Elite 3's.. lol. But the guys I'm helping tear a motor down and fixing the tranny on are buying me a set of tires. I didn't ask for them, nor expect them, and I think it's way too extravagant a gift for a little help, but they knew I needed them. They were going to surprise me with them.. but I found out. They know I love the Elite 3's.. so.. we shall see!

As normal.. a long story made out of a short answer... I can vouch for an Elite 3 rear without question. I can't say a thing about one in the front since I've never ran one.. yet!

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

I love my Conti Milestones, Handle great in all types of weather
                    Meteor3178
                    1980 XS1100SG
                    My mods:
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Takt fork brace
                    Goldwing handlebars
                    Progressive fork springs & shocks
                    Blade fuses and fuseholder
                    850 Final drive
                    Vetter Trunk
                    "the meteor lit up the highways"

Comment

bridgestones

Just put about 350 miles on my vrated battleaxes and they are really nice on the highway and the twisties
                      91 kwaka kz1000p
                      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I just had new Bridgestone Battle Axes installed front and back. They aren't NEARLY as stable feeling as the old Elite 3 rear/ Viper front I had. A bit squirrelly actually in grooves and lane ruts. They require much more attention than before. I will play with the tire pressure a bit to see if that helps. They are supposed to be a good dual compound tire though, and I've only got 115 miles or so on them, so I'll report back after I break them in more.

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          I just had new Bridgestone Battle Axes installed front and back.
                          Traitor! You must have gotten a good deal right?
                          http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Jeremy,
                            read back a few posts. HE didn't buy the tires, someone bought them for him. Let's give him a little time to adjust to the "new" tread design and pressure requirements.
                            I AM running E3's on the MNS, and will be going to a Metzler ME88 on daily ride, as I was able to get a new 130/17 for $60. I'll let everyone know how it holds up in about six months, as I should have about 7K miles on the set by then.
                            Last edited by DiverRay; 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

They don't pay me enough to read, just judge. But if they were free, no ill feelings then.
                              http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I will be needing to get new tires this year. I have been considering getting E3s for the front and back. Motorcycle superstore has them on sale right now and I was going to buy some, but my bike is in storage at my sister's house and I can't go check the size of my current tires. I am thinking that the rear is MT90HB-16 and the front is MM90HB-19. Is that correct?
                                81 XS1100 Special

Comment

Working...
                                X