No announcement yet.

What tires do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm running Chicken Skin Marquis front and rear. If you're looking for a tire that's cheap, wears poorly, doesn't stick well wet or dry, cups like there's no tomorrow, and gives you heart failure in the twisties, then these are the tires for you . They're going away this winter and will be replaced with Pirelli Sport Demons. It was a toss up between the Pirelli's and Bridgestone Battlax BT45V's. Magic 8 Ball said do the Pirelli's - who am I to argue with the Universe . Motorcycle Superstore - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...cle-Tires.aspx - had the best price I could find anywhere, and they have free shipping on orders over $75.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

You need to keep with that front tire! Think how much better of a rider it's making you. If a tire only went smoothly and easily where it was supposed to all the time... what skill is that?

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod - Too true, too true. Here's the real reason I need to change tires. There's a thing in aviation called pucker factor. Suffice it to say that I've already come close to loosing my seat cushion on several occassions .
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I run my '79SF on Bridgestone Spitfires. 28lbs front/42 lbs rear. Good (audible) feedback when tyres are working hard, good wet weather grip, and last very well considering weight of bike and my love of twisting mountain roads. Average life 17,000 klms front and rear. (not into drag racing)
          Regards,
          Errol
          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

A question???

Ive got the original Manual for the XS, it says for hi-speed 40 psi rear, 36 front; as this was obviously for tyres from 30 odd yrs ago would this still be valid?? I do run these pressures & it seems Ok??
            80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

32 - 38

Chrisso
              My pressures are pretty close to that . My front was cupping at the lower pressure
              XJ1100K
              Avon rubber
              MikesXS black coils
              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
              MikesXS front master
              Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
              Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
              Progressive fork springs
              CIBIE headlight reflector
              YICS Eliminator

Comment

tires

chin shin are bad but tractoin is over rated
                bill hane

Comment

Bridgestone Battlax V Rated 45 Tires & Shock Treatment

I have Bridgestone Battlax 45 tires which are V rated on my Special. I use the 100-90 x 19 up front and a 130-90 x 17 on the rear. The front is 3.9 inches wide and is 26.1 inches tall. The rear is 5.25 inches wide and 26.2 inches tall and this is .25 inches wider and an inch taller than the Dunlop 130-90 x 16 rear tire I had been using. This rear tire and wheel width combination is the same exact configeration as that used on a mid eighties Suzuki GS 1150 EF which was putting 100 hp to the ground and was considered a cutting edge sport bike at the time. Both Dunlop and Bridgestone make a sticky V rated tire in the 130-90x16 size but it's only 25 inches tall and 5 inches wide. The killer V rated 140-90 x 16 rear tire is 25.7 inches tall and 5.6 inches wide and will not clear the driveshaft housing. I went with the 17 inch rear wheel for my Special for the additional roll out and width afforded by the tires that are available for that size rim. A 1985 GS 1150 EF Suzuki weighed 563 pounds wet and would run the quarter in 10.80's @ 125 mph and I figured that the upgraded Bridgestone tire for the big GS would be more than sufficient for my Super Special which is (only) putting 96 hp to the tire but with 7 ft. lbs. more torque. In regards to tire spin from a dead stop, some of this is due to the shaft jacking effect of shaft drive (the pinion trying to climb the ring gear) and the rear shock extending too easily/quickly which unloads the rear tire when the shock comes to the end of it's travel suddenly and stops. Conversely, when you close the throttle abruptly at speed while in gear the opposite occurs and the rear end (chassis) tends to squat or sink. Most of the shocks on these old Elevens are either wore out or they have some cheap after market shock that doesn't work properly. A good shock is velocity sensitive on compression and extension in addition to being adjustable and will definitely help get you launched however the swing arm of an XS is too short to begin with and the shaft drive arrangement only makes it harder too control this rise. The stock shocks on the Eleven were okay but they needed to be stiffer on extension which would have been harder on peoples tail bone and lot's of soft tail bones bought these bikes. Air shocks, you don't even want to go there unless you are packing a load and if that's the case, chassis rise and tire spin is the last thing you have to worry about. The 418 series rear shock made by Progressive Suspension will help your Eleven out of the gate and with a sticky set of tires you might be looking at another steel in that clutch pack.
                  81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

I went with the Dunlop Elite III for the rear, will get the front later. So far so good. Scratched the kickstand turning the other day.
                    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Elite 3 rear... Ridden like I was trying to break something... 15k+ miles and still going!!

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        Ridden like I was trying to break something...
                        Your neck?

Elite 3 on the front and soon to be on the back as well
                        81 SH Something Special
                        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

Your neck?
                          ???? Just remember that if that happens... I was probably having a H*&L of a good time!!

Tod

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

tires shocks

put a real shock a used yami ri shock
                            bill hane

Comment

I have Metzlers on the bike now and have used that tire for a while.I used to ride alot in the rain and that brand of tire was great on the road.Never had a problem with control with them.
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              Inline fuel filters
                              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                              160 mph speedometer mod
                              Kerker Exhaust
                              xschop K & N air filter setup
                              Dynojet Recalibration kit
                              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

I ride all year around. The only thing that stops me is packed ice/snow on the roads. I ride when it's 14 degrees, and I ride when it's 114 degrees. I'm one of the weird ones that actually ENJOYS riding in the rain.. if I have the right gear on and not getting soaked. I ride in the straightaways AND curves & twisities harder than anyone I have rode with and keep up with modern bikes in the curves. (I know of some 40 mph curves done WELL in XS of 100+) I did the transmission fix on this bike less than a year ago and it's going out again due to the hard riding and wheelies.

All this said, the Dunlop Elite 3 rear tire has performed flawlessly, and I am finally needing to replace it. There are still some tread grooves showing, but there's no doubt it's time to change. I have clocked a tad over 16 thousand miles on this tire riding the way I do, which is MORE than double of the best previous tire. (Avon Venom) It wouldn't surprise me a bit for a SANE person to get 20k miles out of one of these tires. Most people on here would need to change it due to age before they wear it out.

No, I don't have any association with Dunlop. No, I haven't tried all the other brands to compare.. BUT. If someone has a tire story that beats these.. I'd love to try them. I always griped about a conspiracy and how they can make a car tire that performs AND lasts a long time, but not a bike? I was right.. It apparently can be done for a bike also.

Tod

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100

Comment

Working...
                                X